DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• vaper
    vaper Posts: 105 Forumite
    Hi Motivated
    Yes BC are still adding interest but to be fair I haven't paid a penny to them either since April. I've had no contact whatsoever. Just waiting to see what their next move will be!
    Don't put menthol vape juice in your eyes!!!
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    vaper wrote: »
    Hi Motivated
    Yes BC are still adding interest but to be fair I haven't paid a penny to them either since April. I've had no contact whatsoever. Just waiting to see what their next move will be!

Have you not contacted them at all and asked them to freeze interest and charges. I feel they will continue to sting you on interest if they can get away with it.

As others have said on here, if you keep your creditors in the loop on your situation they are 'usually' quite accommodating. Our 3 creditors. X2 debts each have all been fine with us to be honest. It was only last week I contacted them again just to keep them updated on our situation. They all replied saying it's fine and to carry on as we are for now. :)

Hopefully they will be in touch with you soon
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Morning everyone :wave:

Cabot bought one of our debts a while ago. Out of the blue today they've written and offered to settle at 45% of the outstanding balance. It's one of our smaller debts. We've never contacted Cabot with a F&F offer - we had contacted original DCA that was 'handling' the account for the original creditor but F&Fs were met with polite "no's"

I shall think for several days before going back with a counter offer :)

It's looking good though :)

That's really interesting, January, as Cabot notified me a couple of weeks ago that they've bought one of my debts. It's around £2400 so not my biggest one;). I'd be very interested in how you get on with them accepting a lower offer. It's early days with mine and I haven't had any sort of settlement offer from them so far. I never offered one to RBS/Wescott either as I wasn't in a position to be able to pay anything at all before. I'll await your progress (and eventual success, knowing how good you are at negotiating:A) with interest:T
  • I know this isn't strictly DMP-related but I think other posters have mentioned it and I know that you wise lot will know the answer.

I need to find out all the info that Santander hold on me as I've had numerous products with them over many years. I intend to send a subject data access request, the type of request that costs £10:eek:

My query is, can this be done where all the accounts are long closed? I understand CCA requests can only be for open accounts but this is a different request, for information about loads of accounts from way back.

I've been on the National Debtline website and seen the template letter and it leaves a space to request the type of info that's required. What do I put there, I want anything and everything they have ever held on me?:rotfl:. The template doesn't say to send the £10 upfront but to ask if payment is required. What have other people done who have made such a request please? I know when I did one to Lloyds ages ago that I enclosed a PO with the request and they didn't return it:(

Any advice gratefully received as I'd like to get onto it pretty soon.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    I know this isn't strictly DMP-related but I think other posters have mentioned it and I know that you wise lot will know the answer.

I need to find out all the info that Santander hold on me as I've had numerous products with them over many years. I intend to send a subject data access request, the type of request that costs £10:eek:

My query is, can this be done where all the accounts are long closed? I understand CCA requests can only be for open accounts but this is a different request, for information about loads of accounts from way back.

I've been on the National Debtline website and seen the template letter and it leaves a space to request the type of info that's required. What do I put there, I want anything and everything they have ever held on me?:rotfl:. The template doesn't say to send the £10 upfront but to ask if payment is required. What have other people done who have made such a request please? I know when I did one to Lloyds ages ago that I enclosed a PO with the request and they didn't return it:(

Any advice gratefully received as I'd like to get onto it pretty soon.

I think the SAR needs the £10* with the request.

It's a request for all data they have regarding you on file and is a requirement of the Data Protection Act. Yes, simply you ask for all account data, statements, and information they hold. Remember that after 6 years, they can start deleting records so you may find a sudden cut off with closed accounts, especially if they've been closed for more than 6 years.

* See here: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

It's up to £10, and varies. Contact Santander first to see how much they charge for an SAR.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's really interesting, January, as Cabot notified me a couple of weeks ago that they've bought one of my debts. It's around £2400 so not my biggest one;). I'd be very interested in how you get on with them accepting a lower offer. It's early days with mine and I haven't had any sort of settlement offer from them so far. I never offered one to RBS/Wescott either as I wasn't in a position to be able to pay anything at all before. I'll await your progress (and eventual success, knowing how good you are at negotiating:A) with interest:T

Our Cabot debt is also RBS/Wescot. Only been with Cabot a couple of months.

I'll keep you updated CBC....... any news on progress with your MBNA debt ?
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Our Cabot debt is also RBS/Wescot. Only been with Cabot a couple of months.

I'll keep you updated CBC....... any news on progress with your MBNA debt ?

No news yet on the MBNA debt:(.

On the positive news front I was sorting boxes of old paperwork for recycling this afternoon, I thought they contained nothing remotely financial-related. I was amazed to find some credit card statements in there from pre-DMP days and one of the cards shows PPI:j. I had no idea I had it on this card, indeed I very rarely took it out on any financial product over a lifetime of borrowing from some source or another:o . I never used to check statements, I just looked at the payment due at the bottom. No wonder I ended up in such a financial mess:o. I had this card for about 8 years so that's a hefty amount of PPI paid:eek:. I need to work out now if it was mis-sold;)
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

No news yet on the MBNA debt:(.

On the positive news front I was sorting boxes of old paperwork for recycling this afternoon, I thought they contained nothing remotely financial-related. I was amazed to find some credit card statements in there from pre-DMP days and one of the cards shows PPI:j. I had no idea I had it on this card, indeed I very rarely took it out on any financial product over a lifetime of borrowing from some source or another:o . I never used to check statements, I just looked at the payment due at the bottom. No wonder I ended up in such a financial mess:o. I had this card for about 8 years so that's a hefty amount of PPI paid:eek:. I need to work out now if it was mis-sold;)

It's no longer just the miss-selling, it's the Plevined bit. Look at Martin's guide and just go for it :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hello all - not been on for a wee while but thought I'd pop in to say hi. Not much is happening DMP wise. Am still waiting to hear the outcome of my x6 CCA requests. PRA are still looking into it and LINK have only replied to one request saying its under investigation. So I have to assume the other two are as well.

Am not intending to make any more DMP payments until I hear back from them and putting the money aside for whatever happens next. Have had a few really big bills lately - the boiler ended up costing close to £900 to fix and the conservatory roof repair cost £250. So that pretty much swallowed up the first month of not paying the DMP payment.

I still have some PPI reclaim funds set-aside in the hope that I can offer F&Fs at some point and I feel we can breathe a little in the interim. With that said I do want to get things moving along so I have a DFD to work towards (set for the end of 2018 at present).

I'm off work for a few days and going to visit family in the South West for a long weekend - which I'm so looking forward to it, being able to afford a B&B (whoop). My mindset about the whole DMP thing has taken a complete turn of late - no longer do I feel burdened, or embarrassed about my situation. Rather I feel more in control than I have in years and I've just stopped beating myself up about getting into such a high amount of debt - not that I feel great about it either, but what's done is done.

Anyways - for all those at the start of their debt-free journey (noting we have a few new names on the forum), try not to panic and have faith that things will start to settle down for you soon. Hard as it is, don't fret about those default letters (or threats of) that drop on your doormat -as others have said, that's just part of the process and a necessary one.

Well - the sun is shining and there's a glass of :beer: with my name on it, so off to sit, relax and enjoy.
  • Evening All

Finally after 18 months I've left step change and went through nedcab dmp. It is very good,
    pr6template letters that are all populated with your details. I'm starting off with token payments to build up a bigger emergency fund. Step change was good to start off with but thanks to everybody here..i feel so much more in control this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure