Haggle with BT - our new guide

Options

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 December 2017 at 8:08PM
    Options
    I signed up with BT Sport in late October, annoyed that Sky had lost the rights to the Ashes cricket. £22. 99 on top of the £££ I pay to Sky each month was bad enough, but BT emailed me just a few weeks later bumping a whopping 12.7% on top, many times the rate of inflation. I rang them, telling them that I wanted to leave and the words had only just got out of my mouth when I was offered £15.99 for 12 months and "give us a call just before this expires and we'll see what we can do."
    Do they regularly overcharge until someone complains? It seems an odd way to do business.

If you are a Sky TV customer, you should be quite 'au fait' with this...(unless you are paying full price for your Sky TV) getting a discount for agreeing to a minimum term is pretty standard practice across this industry
  • grumpygardener
    Options
    I've been with Sky since the analogue days so I expect to do deals, and have done. But BT? Only a few weeks so was surprised at getting the pre-hike price less another 7 quid on top. Even a brand new customer getting it cheaper? Surely the original £22.99 was OTT? And just to put the record straight, I wasn't happy to join BT, but I'd little choice unless I had to forgo watching the Ashes. Perhaps on reflection watching Root & co was a mistake too :(
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 December 2017 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Presumably you were prepared to pay £22.99, ( although I'm not saying that's cheap, it's a price you were 'happy' to pay) your Sky Sports package , given that you have to buy a TV pack before you can buy the sports is probably around £40,unless discounted, and doesn't include something you wanted (The Ashes) you have a choice pay the price or don't watch, same as someone who wants to watch something that's exclusively on Sky, obviously BT would prefer you to move your phone/broadband to them, then the 'sport' becomes a better value proposition, but that was something you didn't want to do.
    Your comment that do they 'overcharge' until someone complains is inaccurate , they didn't overcharge you, they offered a better deal in return for a minimum term when you called to cancel.
    I'm a Sky customer paying full price for my TV package, I know I could get a large discount (in the order of 40-60%) if I take an 18 month minimum term, but I dont want that type of commitment , but I don't think I'm being overcharged , I'm paying the price displayed on their website/adverts etc.
    I'm still confused why you think it's OK for Sky to offer discounts on list price, but are 'shocked' that BT do the same thing,
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Retention deals are just that, to discourage you from leaving. The regular price for your product at the moment is £22.99 and that's what everybody pays. The £15.99 deal you have is what BT would say is "a special deal for existing customers", aka a retention deal which in your case is about 30% off the regular price. Its common knowledge digital TV providers can provide their services for far less cost wise than the public price but to get them you have to join and then want to leave a few weeks/months later.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    I'm a Sky customer paying full price for my TV package, I know I could get a large discount (in the order of 40-60%) if I take an 18 month minimum term, but I dont want that type of commitmen

Just to pick up on this (as it's a money saving site!), chances are you won't have to tie in to an 18 month minimum term if you don't want to, or unless you want new equipment. I'm in my 3rd year of 60% off on a rolling 30 day contract.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Just to pick up on this (as it's a money saving site!), chances are you won't have to tie in to an 18 month minimum term if you don't want to, or unless you want new equipment. I'm in my 3rd year of 60% off on a rolling 30 day contract.

I've just agreed a 50% offer for 18 months on a rolling monthly contract coming down from 60%.

Without actually letting it shut down, 50% off (and £25 credit) seems to be the maximum at the moment but at least the rolling monthly contract gives me options in the future.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you get BTSport via the Sky platform it has always been a hassle having to ring BT to haggle a price with them.

I hope I can get 60% off my whole package when Sky can sell BT Sport in a few months time!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget to call BT at the end of your contract. I noticed today I was paying a whopping £55 a month for my BT Infinity. After a phone call and explaining that I was ready to get Vodafone Fibre, they immediately dropped it to £32.99 on an 18th month and then again to £28.99 on a 12 month deal.

Still slightly more expensive than Voda who charge £27 per month for the same package, but with BT's excellent reliability, being able to use the excellent smart hub and I think I get free weekend calls? Can't complain really.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does that include the price rise due soon??
  • jonny_power
    Options
    So my phone/fibre/TV+sport deal was about £58pm (not a great deal to start with) and this ended last summer and went up to £68. Wasn't very organised about it until today. Phoned them up and after 15 mins had negotiated a £44pm deal with infinity one and the TV max deal. Really pleased with how far they went down (further than their new customer deal, and pretty decent alongside the plusnet's fibre cost).

Definitely some deals to be had.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure