Nearly all councils planning to raise council tax - see if you can cut yours - MSE News

Almost all English local authorities plan to increase council tax in 2019-20, according to a survey...
Read the full story:
'Nearly all councils planning to raise council tax - see if you can cut yours'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Ways to save on your council tax

While council tax is among one of the biggest monthly outgoings for many households, there are a number of ways you may be able to cut your bill:
    [...]
    • Pay it over 12 months rather than 10.

That's not saving or cutting anything. That's just moving when it gets paid.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    "Pay it over 12 months rather than 10. In April 2013, the Government announced all councils in England must allow you to pay your council tax over 12 months. If you live in England, contact your council and tell it you want to change to the 12-month payment schedule."

This will not save you any money!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • That's not saving or cutting anything.
    To be fair, it's a saving on the monthly outlay.

Still have to pay the same whole amount over the course of a year, I know.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Eventually, within just a few years, I'm of the opinion that Council Tax will reach monthly mortgage payment proportions depending on the value of the property. I currently pay around £148 a month, I forsee that reaching £248 a month within just a few years. By then, I will be mortgage free, but I'm reckoning that when my mortgage is paid, the Council Tax won't be much short of what my mortgage currently is. There's only one way Council Tax is going, and that is up.
  • To be fair, it's a saving on the monthly outlay.

Still have to pay the same whole amount over the course of a year, I know.

To be fair, it's a huge increase in the monthly outlay for two of the months!
  • To be fair, it's a huge increase in the monthly outlay for two of the months!
    Yes, but it obviously spreads the cost over the entire twelve months. I don't think MSE was presenting this as a moneysaving feature, just an aid to budgeting.

I fully realise, and have earlier acknowledged, that the overall cost per year remains the same.
  • I don't think MSE was presenting this as a moneysaving feature

I do. I explicitly quoted the bit where they did.

Unless it's just sloppy journalism, like that postulated in the package holiday thread.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there some rule that councils have to set out / publish how they decide who gets council tax reduction ? I can find details on other council's websites but no details on our local council (Newport, south Wales).

Also, surprised that Council Tax Reduction on the basis of low income wasn't mentioned by MSE as a way to cut the bill.
  • They have to publish details of their scheme even if to say that it’s the default scheme. It may be tucked away in the minutes of a council meeting.

Usually it’s fairly obvious but it might be worth emailing them and asking for a link to their published scheme.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    With the Green tail wagging the SNP dog up here we are undoubtedly set for a hammering with this year's increase :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure