HFC Bank

In the 1980s and 90s I had bank accounts with HFC bank.
I have tried to claim for PPI but got nowhere despite knowing I have a valid claim. The bank has been taken over by HSBC but when i have spoken to them they say they cant access my accounts as they have been archived and I must give them my old account numbers to continue. Has anyone else had this problem, or actually been able to make a claim?

Comments

• If neither of you have account details, there's nothing you can do. There won't be any records remaining now.

Others have made both claims and complaints.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Has anyone else had this problem

Yes lots.

If the debt was repaid prior to HSBC taking over HFC, the records HSBC would have on their systems would be virtually nothing to nothing. Whilst the documentation would have long been destroyed, some loan data is archived under the account number. So, if you can supply the account number, they may be able to trace some data.

Most people cant find it and are not able to proceed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You're expecting these banks to have kept data for 30 years? FSA recommend 6 years...
    Your only option now is to send a SAR. If there is no info left, your complaint is over.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure