Egg Card PPI - online application in 2002

I applied for an Egg Credit Card to consolidate some debt whilst selling a house in 2002. I had the card for around 18 months (the interest free period) before it was paid off in full. Card was never used for anything else and a monthly standing order had been set up to pay full balance in 18 (interest free) instalments so I never checked monthly statements (I know - stupid thing to do)

I recently found out I paid PPI....something I NEVER do. I simply wouldn't have ticked the box.

Various threads suggest the box may have 'auto-ticked '. Is that true and has anyone successfully argued mis-selling using this point ?

No lectures please, I fully understand non-advised principles and online applications are generally mis-purchased rather than mis-sold etc

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I got an Egg card sometime in the 2000s. I remember that the online form didn't have PPI ticked and like you I would never have PPI so didn't tick it.

When the first bill came through it had PPI on it so I had to phone them up to get a refund, no problems whatsoever, the way the guy spoke it sounded like this happened a lot. I have a feeling this is what happened to you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,047
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Various threads suggest the box may have 'auto-ticked '. Is that true and has anyone successfully argued mis-selling using this point ?

Pre-selected ticks or tick to not have it generally result in upheld complaints.

However, the 2002 online application for Egg did not have pre-selection options. Here is a FOS response on a 2002 sale:

https://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=19394

Key notes:

Mr B would then have been presented with two options, both of which I note were presented
    equally prominently:
    ‘ Yes, I would like to protect my repayments against accident, sickness and
    unemployment. (I understand that by clicking on this box I confirm that I have read and
    agree to the terms of the Egg Card Repayment Protection.)
     No, I do not wish to protect my repayment and I understand that it will be my responsibility
    to keep up my repayments if I fall ill or lose my job.’

(so not pre-ticking)

and

. And I note that the cost of the policy would have appeared on his monthly credit card
    statements after taking out the policy, yet he does not appear to have queried or objected to
    the level of these charges.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for prompt responses. Looks like mis-selling is not a justifiable complaint. Annoying but only myself to blame.

Is it worth looking at a Plevin complaint in your opinion or is that a non starter as well?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,047
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Plevin will not apply to you. You had to have had the credit agreement still running after 2008 (in some cases 2007). This is because the amendments to the CCA happened in 2006. You say you only had it for 18 months from 2002.

Note it is the end of the credit agreement that matters. Not the last transaction on the card. So, if card account was still open into 2008, then Plevin would apply.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure