PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Previous Landlord gave false information

Options
Hi, just wondering if anybody has any advice...

We were renting privately from Dec 2012 until June 2017, a few weeks ago a debt collection letter found it's way onto the doorstep of my new house (also privately rented). It turns out that Scottish power had passed an overdue account from our previous tenancy onto them.

I took this up with Scottish Power, and said I am not responsible for the property, I had to provide the previous tenancy agreement, my new tenancy agreement and various other documents to prove that I am no longer responsible.

Scottish power have taken about 6 weeks to look into this, however I have just found an email on the Scottish Power account from my previous landlord who told Scottish power we were in the property until December 2017 - 6 months after we actually moved out, and this is why the situation has arisen.

Is there anything that I can do about this? I'm really annoyed that I've had to spend the last 6 weeks battling with Scottish power, and now have a record of debt collection agency on my credit report.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would supply them with a copy of the email and your rental agreement confirming you weren't at the property for that time and let them chase the landlord.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Might also we worth calling ActionFraud as he may well be trying to get you to cover the time the property was empty.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    dbomb88 wrote: »
    I had to provide the previous tenancy agreement, my new tenancy agreement and various other documents to prove that I am no longer responsible.

Scottish power have taken about 6 weeks to look into this, however I have just found an email on the Scottish Power account from my previous landlord who told Scottish power we were in the property until December 2017 - 6 months after we actually moved out, and this is why the situation has arisen.
    So what have Scottish Power said about the apparent contradiction between the "official" paperwork (signed & dated by both parties I assume) and the subsequent email which is simply something that the ex landlord has typed?
  • dbomb88
    Options
    They haven't actually addressed this yet, I have asked them numerous times why they would accept an email from someone to say I am responsible, yet I have had to provide multiple documents to prove that I am not!
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    dbomb88 wrote: »
    They haven't actually addressed this yet, I have asked them numerous times why they would accept an email from someone to say I am responsible, yet I have had to provide multiple documents to prove that I am not!

Well I'd be more than happy to provide a piece of evidence if I thought it'd trump something else. Have you also provided your documentation to the debt collection agency? (I think that's what BBH123 was asking)
  • dbomb88
    Options
    I haven't yet, but will be doing so, I was dealing with Scottish Power to find out what had gone on. I have more than enough evidence to prove the debt isn't mine, I am just very frustrated at the fact the landlord lied regarding that dates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure