The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm calling in early for tonight 7/15 as determined to have an AFD.

At last I have my dancing monkey!!!

Isn't he gorgeous!!:j

Good to see you back Barny. Hope you enjoyed your break.:)

8/10 AFDs please Baileys.
  • Hopefuljoy
    Hopefuljoy Posts: 442
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there,

I don't know if this is acceptable but I wanted to shout from the rooftops that having joined this thread to help me cut back a few years ago I now do not drink a drop of alcohol. This thread helped me get started but I wanted to share a resource with you.

It's a book called "How to control alcohol" by a man called Allen Carr (not the comedian). He also wrote a book about stopping smoking many years ago.

By the time I got to the end of the book (glass of wine in hand) I knew I would never drink again. And I haven't. The last time I drank any alcohol of any kind was 26th December 2016.

It has taken no will power or focus at all and I am amazed. This is not an advert but if anyone is secretly struggling on here then I would unreservedly recommend trying it.
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    16/30 for me please Baileys.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921
    Forumite
    5/22 AFDs today
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,131
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Committing early last time didn’t work, I caved in when my boss offered a celebratory glass of vino in the office with a few of the team. So I was on 3/14 until yesterday, and back to 4/14 for yesterday.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,147
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning all, 15/21 for me please. :)

2021 D: 93 2020 D: 96 2022 D: 15
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 7:53AM
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Goodness it's quiet on here!

16/30 please, Shaggy.

I'm so sorry, Baileys! Just goes to show how embedded and strong old habits are, doesn't it. Ooops and sorry, sorry sorry.
    Yes isn't it just HB I was wondering where paspatur was seems a long time since they posted. Mind you its always busier during the week :cool:

Had a lovely weekend away so wine was consumed but not excessively :) Back to AF for a while now

Apart from Christmas I've never really noticed whether it's quiet or not, although though now that I think about it, bank holiday weekends are always quieter on here.

I don't know if people who've been posting regularly and then suddenly disappear realise that we miss them. Probably not, but I do. ManPants, PoorSingleLady and Paspatur are the three I'm conscious about not being around at the moment. Any time I happened to be looking for an old post on the previous thread and came across the monthly tallies I realised how many people drop off the radar regularly.
    fatrab wrote: »
    Morning! I'm a midweek poster so tend not to post much at weekends, although I do pop on just in case I'm missing something!

Due to working away through the week, my weekend time at home is precious so I don't put the laptop on unless I absolutely have to, and posting on mobile isn't user friendly trying to put things in bold or red!

I totally get it, FatRab.

Fabulous, Hopeful Joy! Several people have mentioned Allen Carr's book so it's good to have another reminder of it. I don't know about you, but I find staying stopped a heck of a lot easier than I ever found trying to moderate but I know it's not everyone's first choice.

17/30 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Isn't it strange how I am motivated not to drink by a dancing monkey emoji?! Or is it just me that is strange?
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,045
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Isn't it strange how I am motivated not to drink by a dancing monkey emoji?! Or is it just me that is strange?

I think everyone is loving the dancing monkey :j:j:j

9/14 for today please Baileys
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Forumite
    sukeyboo wrote: »
    I think everyone is loving the dancing monkey :j:j:j

Definitely!:D

I'm another that notices when posters go awol. I realise that RL can get busy but I worry that people don't post because they're struggling. Personally I think it's better to try to stay in touch but each to his own. But that's not always the case as hopefuljoy has proved. :T

No drinking here today.

9/10 AFDs please Baileys.

We're planning a few days away next week so won't be AF but there's plenty of month left.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure