PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kondoing dvds today, raining and dull outside and I have dozens, many were free with newspapers. All minus boxes and kept in files but 16 are out already, as soon as I knew that they were not for me, I was decisive. Like books, either I get into them or I don`t. Having a break and I`ll be getting back to it in comfort, sitting with legs outstretched on a sofa with plump cushion behind my back
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    More things in than out here today - but it is DS1's 18th birthday :):D

Cake and chocolate things are all temporary and PS4 games don't take up much room. Other presents are also small in presence but all joy-sparking :)

I have burned a heap of finance-related paperwork in the chiminea (it's spitty with rain here, so no washing out in any gardens) - the last is still smouldering away. That's by far my preferred method of disposal over shredding (far less effort on my part)

DD is off back to her uni city tonight, so some of the contents of the fridge/ freezer/ pantry will be making their way back with her..... ;)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 7:02PM
    I spent a very happy time a couple of days ago, measuring in the wee flat I'll be moving in to in a few weeks. My double bed is due to be kondo'd, and tomorrow a single bed with two storage drawers is coming to me like manna from heaven (free of charge - the donor doesn't want paid for it, but will receive a rather nice bottle of something).

To say I'm thrilled is an understatement... I've been swooning at the price of new beds, and having retired early for health reasons, low or no expenditure fits the budget perfectly. The spare bed linen and towels can live in the under bed storage drawers, necessary as I will have one not very generously sized storage cupboard. Weirdly, although the kitchen is small, it's got more wall and base cupboards than I currently have in a much bigger kitchen. It'll be fun playing Tetris once I'm in. Meantime, I'm thankful I've done Kondo 3.0, and as I pack up, I'll be applying the joy test and the usage test to filter out any stragglers.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :T Brilliant news on the bed, Wee Midgie, well done. It's great when things just slot into place, isn't it? All the best for the move but I'm sure it'll be smooth now you're kondo'd.

One thing I notice is that just about everyone does a mahoosive declutter after they've moved, after they've busted their backs and sometimes the budget shifting those things in the first place.

Plots 1 & 2

Spent 2 hrs on Plot1, mainly hoe-ing and some grass cutting on the path, had a light luncheon (banana and a chocolate muffin) then grabbed the mattock and skipped over onto Plot2 to show it Cold Steel.

Apart from a pleasant interuption whereupon I was forced to drink rose and eat another muffin (allotment pal plying me with alcohol ;)) I was grafting for 6.5 hours. I have done a lot more digging and hauled out a lot of nasty plastic bits and rotten wood, glass and old nails. Oh, and two more bricks, that's now five of them.

Spent a bit of time sitting and sorting out the recyclable from the non-recyclables and making sure anything going to recyc is clean and dry and have brought two carrier bagfuls of plastic down to add into the communal landfill bins. I need to make the effort to get something (re-usable, recyclable, rubbishable) off the plot each and every time I go there, as only have a pushbike and it takes time to deal with Stuff.

I also have bits of rotten wood hung up in those knitted plastic onion sacks, to dry out. They were underground and very soggy but, I know from experience, once bone dry and added to the burn-bags, they will be an asset in autumn's pryomaniacal activities.

OK, fielding hairwashing duties, cooking supper, sorting laundry and then putting grubby self into bath tub. I have to be Office Barbie for a few hours tomorrow, before I can get back to real life which is playing in the dirt.

If I'm offline this week I will be grubbling around among the rubbish on the plot/ doing archery/ lying in a darkened room with a cold compress.

Onwards! Upwards! Outwards and Underneath! Let no clutter escape the cold steel no matter how far it's underground.:cool:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just make sure you don't overdo things GQ - don't want you suffering!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    GQ - when you run out of challenges, I've got a mattock here, and a hole that needs making to stick a tree in... I could use some expert tuition :D
  • GreyQueen
    edited 15 April 2018 at 8:19PM
    silvasava wrote: »
    Just make sure you don't overdo things GQ - don't want you suffering!!
    :) I'm on a roll. But I will be going offline now to rest, have a looong bath and be tucked up in my cat basket and catching some zzzzzzz by 10 pm.

My day job is sedentary, although mentally demanding. Allotmenteering is the reverse, so it all works out nicely. Thanks for caring.

greenbee, if I was in your area, I'd gladly drop by, but alas, am committed to being elsewhere. Earning a living doesn't half get in the way of life, hey?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • 30+ years ago, I had an allotment and a friend of ours also got an allotment on the same site. He declared that he was going to garden organically, without weed killer or pesticides. Cue shocked and horrified mutterings from the established and set-in-their ways allotment holders and dire predictions of rampant weeds defiling the whole site. And what was the first thing he did, recommended at the time? Cover it with old carpet to suppress the weeds.

Times change, advice changes - be forgiving to your predecessor because they may have been following what they thought was a sound principle. Not the washing machine, though ...
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Carpet as a weed suppression method is banned on our site...DH still found some though, which is currenly awaiting removal to the tip.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    Floss wrote: »
    Carpet as a weed suppression method is banned on our site...DH still found some though, which is currenly awaiting removal to the tip.
    :) It's verboten on ours, too, but still people bring it on site. Oh, and double-glazed windows and doors, and bath tubs, and all sorts of heavy carp which then become the problem of the incoming tenant as the council doesn't have a budget to deal with them. I'm very firm about not accepting anything of that nature (i.e not proper wood and not burnable at the end of its useful life) as I have spent a lot of time and energy getting rid of it and don't want to make a future rod for my own back. Pre-cluttering not de-cluttering.

:o If anyone lives in Stoke and has lost a brown-coloured garden waste wheelie bin, someone on my site has one, complete with the City of Stoke logo. Doubt you'll want it back, the bottom has been cut out of it.:rotfl:

PWD, no one needs to carpet 300 sq meters of soil in two thicknesses of waffle rubber. It's a garden plot not a sitting-room and I shall never ever forgive the blighter *flashes on memories of working on a viciously cold windy rainy spring day on the first year, trying to separate a subterranean wadge of waffle rubber, chicken wire and couch grass - was close to tears of exhaustion and frustration for a while, it was so horrible*

:D I'm baking a potato, having a rest then heading out to the allotment for a couple of hours. Hit a sweet spot yesterday where the area I was working on suddenly went from being a series of unrelated grubbly bits to being joined-up-and-end-in-sight.

You know, the same way as when you're decluttering at home, how it gets worse before it gets better? It's thusly for allotments, too. Getting pretty excited about seeing that section looking tidy for once.

A pair of socks has come through the laundry all religious, one of the pairs on heavy rotation, so they're going to the rag-bag. It's building up a bit so will soon go off to the chazzer, along with some saleable bits and bobs.

Onwards!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills