Stocard mobile payments

Options
Stocard, a nice app in which to keep all your loyalty cards, are now offering a digital payment card. It's a Mastercard which you have to link to another debit or credit card and which can be used fee-free in the UK and abroad. It's easy to set up and there's no credit check.

Unfortunately, you can only link one debit or credit card, so it's of limited use and I won't be using it myself for that reason (though I do use Stocard extensively to keep my loyalty cards in a single place). I thought I post it here, anyway, as it might be an option for those who want a second card debit card on their current account.

https://stocard.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360002047054-Paying-with-Stocard

Comments

• Zellah
    Zellah Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 January 2021 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Has anyone managed to get their virtual Mastercard yet? I applied through the app yesterday (iPhone) and it says I'm on a waiting list. Also apparently you can only link a "pre-paid card that operates on the Mastercard network" which I guess means that regular Mastercard debit and credit cards are not accepted?
    https://stocard.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008658439-What-is-mobile-payment-in-Stocard-
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 18 January 2021 at 8:12PM
    Options
    The app generates a pre-paid Mastercard to be used in shops much like Google pay.
    I had it before but deactivated as it had some possible low usage fees.
    No complaints though and customer service is good with Stocard.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zellah said:
    Has anyone managed to get their virtual Mastercard yet? I applied through the app yesterday (iPhone) and it says I'm on a waiting list. Also apparently you can only link a "pre-paid card that operates on the Mastercard network" which I guess means that regular Mastercard debit and credit cards are not accepted?
    https://stocard.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008658439-What-is-mobile-payment-in-Stocard-
    I my Stocard app, it says I can only add "a non-prepaid card which was issued within the UK, EU or Switzerland". I haven't tried it as I don't want to use Stocard  for payments but apparently it can be a debit or a credit card. I also haven't read the smallprint so I couldn't say whether there are any charges (e.g. Curve lets you do similar but charges 1.5% on some transactions involving a credit card)

• Zellah
    Zellah Posts: 303 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2021 at 4:38PM
    Options
    Thanks, I wrongly assumed you linked any debit/credit card and once you used the Stocard Mastercard, then funds were automatically debited from your linked card - a bit like the old Travelex Visa card though that was a physical card. But it seems the Stocard mastercard is a pre-paid card so you have to top it up in advance from your linked card before you are able to use it. I think i'll give it a miss.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 January 2021 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Zellah said:
    Thanks, I wrongly assumed you linked any debit/credit card and once you used the Stocard Mastercard, then funds were automatically debited from your linked card - a bit like the old Travelex Visa card though that was a physical card. But it seems the Stocard mastercard is a pre-paid card so you have to top it up in advance from your linked card before you are able to use it. I think i'll give it a miss.
    Sorry, my bad, as I initially implied that Stocard would automatically charge the amount onto a debit or credit card. You are correct, it is a pr-paid card that you need to load before you can use it.

If you want to have automatic charging of the linked card, Curve is the answer. As I have got lots of debit and credit cards, I have now taken to using my Curve card as my default card as it saves me from remembering umpteen CVV codes, from storing card details for multiple cards in numerous places, and obviously from having to take multiple physical cards out of the house. When Curve first came out, I couldn't see the point (apart from the free referral fiver and a bit of cashback), but I absolutely love it now. I only use the free version, and I stay clear of the extortionately expensive 'Curve fronted' feature
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback