Oil boiler. Hot water too hot even on low!

Hi all,

I have a oil Worcester bosch greenslave boiler. Couple years old.

I believe it has a small water tank inside, the water heats for half hour twice a day. On the lowest setting I can just about wash my hands without screaming! I had the boiler serviced and plumber said don't leave it on 1, legionella etc. He turned it to 6 and said that really shouldn't be too hot. Finished service then went to wash his hands and said wow that's hot isn't it. Tested the temp and it came out at 55 which he said is about right but it feels really hot. The problem is I literally can't use it and have a young child who's just learning to wash hands. In the kitchen we have a mixer but bathroom is hot and cold taps. Any advice or do we just need to man up?!!

Previous boiler was a water tank system 25 plus years old so wondering if its just something I'm not used too?

Any advice? I have also had bosch out who said everything is normal and it's just hot! Guests always comment the waters dangerously hot when they use my taps!

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    turn it back down again
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • prezzacc
    prezzacc Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Obviously I considered this option! But I'm being told it's a risk for legionella as the water will stored too low a temperature!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Set it to 4. How's that? Still too hot? Try 2.

How often do you use hot water? Legionairs is a risk if water sits around for some time at lowish temps. If the tank is constantly replenishing, the risk is minimal.
  • prezzacc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a oil Worcester bosch greenslave boiler. Couple years old.

I believe it has a small water tank inside, the water heats for half hour twice a day. On the lowest setting I can just about wash my hands without screaming! I had the boiler serviced and plumber said don't leave it on 1, legionella etc. He turned it to 6 and said that really shouldn't be too hot. Finished service then went to wash his hands and said wow that's hot isn't it. Tested the temp and it came out at 55 which he said is about right but it feels really hot. The problem is I literally can't use it and have a young child who's just learning to wash hands. In the kitchen we have a mixer but bathroom is hot and cold taps. Any advice or do we just need to man up?!!

Previous boiler was a water tank system 25 plus years old so wondering if its just something I'm not used too?

Any advice? I have also had bosch out who said everything is normal and it's just hot! Guests always comment the waters dangerously hot when they use my taps!

Dispense the water into a hand basin. Not only will you save the planet by not washing your hands under a running tap, wasting loads of water (not to mention energy), but also you can lower the temperature by mixing in some cold water.

Easy when you know how, eh?

If you want a safer solution, long term, get your plumber back, and he should be able to install a mixer upstream, so that the water as it comes out of the hot tap is not dangerously hot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure