Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 1st Oct 15, 5:39 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    5p bag charge - your views
    • 1st Oct 15, 5:39 PM
    0 WOW
    5p bag charge - your views 1st Oct 15 at 5:39 PM
    Hi everyone,

From 5 October, supermarkets in England will charge 5p for carrier bags. So I wanted to know:

1. What are your views on the charge? Is it good/bad/don't care - and why?
    2. And do you have any MoneySaving tips for getting around the fee?

Thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 02-10-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: (Typo)
Page 37
    • VeGGie-STyLe
    • By VeGGie-STyLe 8th Jul 16, 7:44 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    VeGGie-STyLe
    I bought one of those wire baskets on wheels that they provide to take your shopping home in. It was a steal at just 1. Use it 21 times and you're in profit.
    Originally posted by Steve059
    Oh I've seen those too. They're genius!

I did actually buy one once, but the wheels broke before I even got past the car park! Faulty brakes I think
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 9th Jul 16, 6:19 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Some staff are as bad as the customers for not getting used to the charge. My mum picked up her bird food to pack it and the bag had a hole in it. She asked for a fruit and veg bag to put it in to stop it from going everywhere (rather than asking them to get her another one without a hole in) and the woman tried to charge her 5p for it! She's never been one to argue the point so she found an old carrier in her bag to use.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ 19.55/180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ 20.75/180.00
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 10th Jul 16, 1:24 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 9,836 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Still some customers that shop at my work still have never bothered to bring their own bags. One dumb blonde said to me she uses our bags as bin liners. Pointed out that our kitchen bin bags are 2.3p each when purchased in packs of 40.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Describing blondes as dumb is as inappropriate as describing supermarket checkout staff as stupid and uneducated.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Jul 16, 6:04 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 3,030 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Some staff are as bad as the customers for not getting used to the charge. My mum picked up her bird food to pack it and the bag had a hole in it. She asked for a fruit and veg bag to put it in to stop it from going everywhere (rather than asking them to get her another one without a hole in) and the woman tried to charge her 5p for it! She's never been one to argue the point so she found an old carrier in her bag to use.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    A lot of it is down to the shops in question rather than the individual employee. They will drill it into them that they have to charge for every bag just to be on the safe side.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 10th Jul 16, 6:42 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    You would think that even if the shop is concerned with being on the safe side, they would tell staff to chop the handles off if common sense dictates that the situation gives need for a bag.

Defra has confirmed that chopping handles off even the standard carriers meets the requirements.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ 19.55/180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ 20.75/180.00
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Jul 16, 6:53 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 3,030 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Really? Always? I don't know where you shop but this member of the older generation was always encouraged to re-use anything that could be re-used and waste nothing. This has been passed on to my daughter. Before the days of plastic bags, we carried a shopping bag when we went shopping, and I have always done so; doubtless thousands upon thousands of my "older" generation do too.

Your generalisation is totally absurd.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    I've worked in a supermarket and witnessed it first hand. Not a generalisation at all.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 10th Jul 16, 7:38 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    anotheruser
    It's a shame the supermarkets don't go the whole hog and get rid of the smaller plastic bags all together.

While I don't like the 5p charge, it's because I am lazy and don't want to bother taking my own bags. Now I've been doing it for months; I don't care.

However the bag for life bags aren't very environment-friendly. They take longer to break down, and take more resources to make. If you re-use a plastic one just once, they are much better than the bag for life bags.

I re-use the plastic ones as household bins around the home. When they've run out, I don't know what I'll use :/
    • robin58
    • By robin58 10th Jul 16, 10:54 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Anotheruser, you don't take into account that when the supermarket takes back the bag off of you, they recycle it. This is used into other mixed plastic items.

Plus the old Tesco and Coop ones were biodegradable but had a bad effect on the environment. Plus the recycling plants had to employ people to take these out of the system so they could sell the remaining plastic.

I can show you places near me where tree's are covered in discarded plastic bags.

If by charging 5p, it takes millions of discarded bags out of the environment and stops people taking handfuls to pack there shopping, I'm all for it.

It seems the 5p per bag charge has not had the effect on you as it should. You do realize if you keep on buying them and the government feels the current charge is not effective, they can put it up to where they feel it will have an effect.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 11th Jul 16, 12:50 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Anotheruser, you don't take into account that when the supermarket takes back the bag off of you, they recycle it. This is used into other mixed plastic items.
    Originally posted by robin58
    That's right, but it doesn't mean they're any better.
    Different groups use different statistics; some count the whole process (IE making the bag + recycling the bag = environmental impact) while others count only the first process of making the bag.

I can show you places near me where tree's are covered in discarded plastic bags.
    That's because of people though.
    I could show you places near me where crashed cars are taken.

It seems the 5p per bag charge has not had the effect on you as it should. You do realize if you keep on buying them and the government feels the current charge is not effective, they can put it up to where they feel it will have an effect.
    Where does it say I buy them? - I see where you mis-read. To be fair, I didn't explain very well.
    I used to get [the plastic bags] when they were free, but since the charge, I switched to the stronger bags (not bag for life) or fabric ones. Now having to take my own doesn't bother me (I don't care about it).

My question still remains - what will I use when the hundreds of plastic bags I have run out? Buy more plastic bags in the form of over-priced "bin liners"? - not exactly solving the problem.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 11th Jul 16, 1:36 PM
    • 7,744 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    KxMx
    I think though that the majority of people were wasteful with free carriers. So even taking into account the people like you (and me) who re-used and will now have to buy bin liners, the net effect may well be positive/a reduction in overall plastics used. Time will tell.

We tried quite a few brands before settling on tidyz handy carrier bags (40) as replacement bin liners, 1 in pound shops or 0.79 if you have a Savers.

Alternatively you use plastic bins with no liner and wash/disinfect after each emptying.

Which is the worse for environment is debatable.
    Last edited by KxMx; 11-07-2016 at 1:39 PM.
  • archived user
    I've worked in a supermarket and witnessed it first hand. Not a generalisation at all.
    Originally posted by LeeUK

I work in retail. Noticed these people are more likely not to have their own bags:
    . Single men - all ages
    . Living in council estates. I work opposite one and I wonder why many don't bring their own bags. Is it a kind of pride thing? My Nanan lives near one in Sheffield and countless Sainsburys 5p bags everywhere.
    . Young couples
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Jul 16, 10:29 PM
    • 5,392 Posts
    • 6,819 Thanks
    A. Badger

Which is the worse for environment is debatable.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    Almost certainly the use of hot water and disinfectant. The former uses energy, the latter enters the water system.

Still, if it makes people feel virtuous...
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 12th Jul 16, 11:26 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    Almost certainly the use of hot water and disinfectant. The former uses energy, the latter enters the water system.

Still, if it makes people feel virtuous...
    Originally posted by A. Badger

I use the water I've just done the dishes in to wash and clean the bin.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 13th Jul 16, 12:32 AM
    • 5,392 Posts
    • 6,819 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I use the water I've just done the dishes in to wash and clean the bin.
    Originally posted by foxtrotoscar
    Well, that's the planet saved then.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 13th Jul 16, 2:28 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    Well, that's the planet saved then.
    Well if more miserable people died that would save the planet even more.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 13th Jul 16, 6:07 PM
    • 5,392 Posts
    • 6,819 Thanks
    A. Badger
    And there we have the unmistakable voice of the 'Green' misanthropist. Wishing death on people who dare disagree with his sanctimonious beliefs.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 14th Jul 16, 12:52 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 9,836 Thanks
    Nick_C
    And there we have the unmistakable voice of the 'Green' misanthropist. Wishing death on people who dare disagree with his sanctimonious beliefs.
    It's a fair point though.

There is no point in recycling if we continue to infest this planet, depleting the natural resources and wiping out all the other species (except for the ones we breed solely to eat).

Overpopulation is the big issue. Halve the population and all the "green" issues go away!

But of course it's easier to ban carrier bags, isn't it.
  • archived user
    I
    Overpopulation is the big issue. Halve the population and all the "green" issues go away!

But of course it's easier to ban carrier bags, isn't it.
    Originally posted by Nick_C

How many more people would be on the planet if we didn't have the two world wars?
    • Steve059
    • By Steve059 14th Jul 16, 3:18 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    Steve059
    I still reckon that the 5p charge should also apply to "bags for life". When you buy them, they're "single use" bags. You might not use them again. If you do, then you claim your 5p back. Simple.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5?
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 14th Jul 16, 4:07 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    jon81uk
    I still reckon that the 5p charge should also apply to "bags for life". When you buy them, they're "single use" bags. You might not use them again. If you do, then you claim your 5p back. Simple.
    Originally posted by Steve059
    Bags for life must have a cost of at least 5p anyway on their first use as you say, replacement bags can be free. You are not entitled to the 5p back, only a replacement bag for the worn out one. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities#bags-youre-not-required-to-to-charge-for
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,609Posts Today

9,064Users online

Martin's Twitter