Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?
    • 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers? 21st May 13 at 5:31 PM
    "Over half a million O2 and BE broadband and home phone customers are now Sky customers, we break down what this means..."

Read the full story:

Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 3
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 23rd May 13, 3:33 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits

Originally posted by espresso
    Some people are just born worriers. You just have to leave them be or gain a few more grey hairs for yourself.
    • thegrail
    • By thegrail 23rd May 13, 4:23 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thegrail
    Some people are just born worriers. You just have to leave them be or gain a few more grey hairs for yourself.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    I guess you mean me and my switch to BT - I checked TCB and all they were offering was £10.10 max and this was for new customers only, not £101.

I will get my £25 Sainsbury voucher and I am looking forward to the Free BT Wifi and the BT Sports Channels in August. I might even take BT vision after 6 months.

I just like keeping things simple and having a good nights sleep

I'm sorry to be having my final farewell to O2 - they used to be a great company, but I guess they are having financial problems like lots of other companies and they have to get rid of the less-profitable bits - unfortunately for me it was to Sky...
    • NFH
    • By NFH 23rd May 13, 5:50 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    I have a static IP address with BE along with a lot of complex port forwarding to various machines on my LAN. In addition, some remote servers are permissioned to accept connections from my IP address. I therefore can't have a dynamic IP address. Will I get to keep my static IP address with Sky, even if it changes just once?
    • Geordie Ahmed
    • By Geordie Ahmed 23rd May 13, 5:51 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Geordie Ahmed
    I have a static IP address with BE along with a lot of complex port forwarding to various machines on my LAN. In addition, some remote servers are permissioned to accept connections from my IP address. I therefore can't have a dynamic IP address. Will I get to keep my static IP address with Sky, even if it changes just once?
    Originally posted by NFH
    Sky don't support static IP address
    • NFH
    • By NFH 23rd May 13, 7:56 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Sky don't support static IP address
    Originally posted by Geordie Ahmed
    True with regard to existing customers, but it's possible that when they absorb a large number of customers with static IP addresses, they might do so, particularly as those customers will be keeping their existing equipment and will already be an exception to the rule.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 24th May 13, 10:22 AM
    • 14,147 Posts
    • 73,931 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Sky sent an email with the opportunity to jump to their network early. I have a reference code and an offer/s link.

Not looked yet as the link didn't work on my ipad.
  • goggle-eyes
    A potential alternative to O2/Be ?
    Hello,
    Apologies for the long post, I'm a newcomer to this forum and just wanted to contribute towards this thread as I too am sorely disappointed with the O2/Be selloff. Like many fellow comrades I have been seeking out viable alternatives, and from my search today this interesting result was listed - Its from an ISP i've never heard of called TITAN-ADSL (sounds like a pharmaceutical product) titan-adsl.co.uk - in their about us section there is a link about products for O2/Be customers, I had a look and they state they have combined phone and Broadband offers as well...I will take a look further into this but would appreciate if more eyes could be caste upon them to check their legitimacy.
    If they have already been mentioned then my apologies.
    • only_mee
    • By only_mee 25th May 13, 3:17 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    only_mee
    google their name

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/3863581-titan-adsl-totally-at-a-loss-what-on-earth-is-going-on.html?fpart=all&vc=1
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 25th May 13, 8:08 PM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 3,901 Thanks
    Old Git
    I have phone line with BT ,calls Cps with primus Broadband with o2.
    I am moving house next week .
    I needed a new TV aerial or sky
    Bt wanted to charge me £130 for a phone line .

Sky offered me free TV and BB for a year at £20 per month for phone
    So I said yes .Hope I made the right decision .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Lynndelou
    We were with o2 for home phone and broadband and were very happy - Sky well thats a different story - was offered broadband free for a year, then the story changed as we did not want the free Sky TV for a year ( we do not watch much TV and did not want the hassle of the installation) we were then told if we did not take the free TV, that we would have to pay a supplement for the Broadband and phone, so for less we would be paying more - not a happy customer so will be looking to take my custom elsewhere. Does this make any economic sense for Sky to come out, install the equipment and then have to remove it at the end of the year as we will not use it - Duh!!!
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 31st May 13, 8:41 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    We were with o2 for home phone and broadband and were very happy - Sky well thats a different story - was offered broadband free for a year, then the story changed as we did not want the free Sky TV for a year ( we do not watch much TV and did not want the hassle of the installation) we were then told if we did not take the free TV, that we would have to pay a supplement for the Broadband and phone, so for less we would be paying more - not a happy customer so will be looking to take my custom elsewhere. Does this make any economic sense for Sky to come out, install the equipment and then have to remove it at the end of the year as we will not use it - Duh!!!
    Originally posted by Lynndelou
    You keep the equipment after 12 months as it's yours.
    • bbb_uk
    • By bbb_uk 31st May 13, 9:48 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    bbb_uk
    Originally posted by Lynndelou
    It's a ploy to hopefully get u hooked as a Sky TV customer so even after 12 months u will continue the sub
    SayNoTo0870.com
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 31st May 13, 11:42 PM
    • 9,113 Posts
    • 7,156 Thanks
    esuhl
    ...I have been seeking out viable alternatives, and from my search today this interesting result was listed - Its from an ISP i've never heard of called TITAN-ADSL (sounds like a pharmaceutical product) titan-adsl.co.uk - in their about us section there is a link about products for O2/Be customers, I had a look and they state they have combined phone and Broadband offers as well...I will take a look further into this but would appreciate if more eyes could be caste upon them to check their legitimacy.
    If they have already been mentioned then my apologies.
    Originally posted by goggle-eyes
    I was with them a few years ago. They were Entanet resellers. At first they were fantastic. I think it was run by two blokes in their bedroom, pretty much! But they were really helpful and had a passion for what they were doing. They knew networking inside-out.

One day something went wrong and I called them up for help... and couldn't get through. I tried for a few days and couldn't get through. Finally (after a few weeks) I get through and was told that they had a fire in their offices which had taken out the phone system and everything was a mess... I wasn't sure I believed them, so I asked for a MAC key so I could migrate the service to another provider. To cut a long story short, it didn't arrive despite several promises and I had to involve Ofcom to get one.

As it turned out, the problem was my own fault (someone in the house had plugged in a phone without using a microfilter), but I was worried by the fact that I couldn't get through for so long.

From what I've heard, they genuinely did have a fire... But, being such a small company, a little hiccup like that caused a lot of problems. So I moved to BE in the end as they had 24-hour support and I thought they would have more contingency planning in case anything happened.

The people running Titan seemed like decent and knowledgeable chaps... I wish them well. I just wish there was a company a little larger, with 24-hour technical support from people who are actually technically-minded... BE seemed to be the only option.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 1st Jun 13, 12:44 AM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    Patr100
    On the issue of Sky not forcing ex-02 BB users to take up the Sky landline as well. That can still be the case, but you can be assured that those who opt for only Sky BB but remain with their BT landline (or whoever provides it other than Sky) will pay a premium to do so compared to the charges for bundled Sky BB and landline. I doubt it will match the £9.50 I pay on the 02 legacy BB with the mobile discount.
    I have just paid for BT line Saver and PlusNet BB look the most likely next step but no rush, I will keep my options open.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 1st Jun 13, 11:20 AM
    • 13,665 Posts
    • 6,299 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Likewise options open as i don't want to join the Sky bandwagon .

Judged by the number of adverts and thousands of kiosks selling Sky must be a huge amount of churn.

jje
  • Funfi
    O2 McAfee antivirus software
    I have McAfee through my O2 broadband; currently it's free on an ongoing basis.
    On the Sky website Q&A, it says McAfee will be supplied only on a 12-month trial basis, I assume meaning that you will have to pay for it after a year.
    Has anyone else noticed this and if so, what do you plan to do - pay extra or find an alternative? Does anyone have any good ideas for alternatives?
    • only_mee
    • By only_mee 4th Jun 13, 11:58 AM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    only_mee
    plusnet offer it for free too
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 4th Jun 13, 12:31 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    On the Sky website Q&A, it says McAfee will be supplied only on a 12-month trial basis, I assume meaning that you will have to pay for it after a year.
    Has anyone else noticed this and if so, what do you plan to do - pay extra or find an alternative? Does anyone have any good ideas for alternatives?
    Originally posted by Funfi
    One might not use McAfee in the first place.
    The are fair few free options and inexpensive paid options. For instance this copy of Kaspersky Internet Security for £5.35.
    You download the latest version from their website and activate it with the product key on the box.
    Go to the Tech forum for more specific advice.
    • thegrail
    • By thegrail 5th Jun 13, 6:57 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thegrail
    Replacement for O2 McAfee?
    Originally posted by Funfi
    I've been quite happy to ditch paid for anti-virus and just go for Microsoft Security Essentials if you have Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. It's included in Windows 8.
    • lisa701
    • By lisa701 5th Jun 13, 12:12 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    lisa701
    McAfee would not have been my first choice but as it came free with my BB package I decided to use it. Had nothing but problems with it despite keeping it bang up to date so I now use Kaspersky.

Having since spoken to several IT guys about the problems I had they have all advised me against using it as its the one program that gives them the most hassle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,607Posts Today

7,359Users online

Martin's Twitter