Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?
    • 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers? 21st May 13 at 5:31 PM
    "Over half a million O2 and BE broadband and home phone customers are now Sky customers, we break down what this means..."

Read the full story:

Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 2
    • thegrail
    • By thegrail 22nd May 13, 4:10 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thegrail
    More Price Details
    Not really. That "assurance" on their website is in answer to questions regarding the changeover.

The rep mislead you!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Well - we'll wait and see what happens - this was one of the reasons I was worried about Sky - you can get different answers from different people.

By chance just received the offer email from Sky - as well as the free Sky+HD (+line rental) deal there were also deals for Sky Broadband Unlimited at £2.50 per month (+line rental) and Sky Fibre Unlimited at £10 for6 months and then £20 per month (+line rental).

Compared to my current BT phone line costs and my current free broadband I won't be taking the Sky Broadband Unlimitted offer; and I don't need fibre speeds (yet).

And if Sky can afford to give Broadband Unlimitted + Sky+HD + EE+ for £0 (+line rental) they must be expecting to make a killing in year 2+.

I make the second year costs to be £14.50 for line rental + £31.50 for Entertainment Extra + £7.50 for broadband +£8.25 for breakdown cover = £61.75 per month + any increases Sky think of.

You can, of course, cancel after 12 months, but by then you might be hooked on the Sky package and I've seen comments that getting back off Sky to another telecoms company can be tricky.

And if you want to find out any details on the deals directly from Sky you have to ring them on an 0844 number at 5p per minute +15p connect on a BT line and (as far as I recall) double that on an O2 phone line (it's a free call from a Sky phone line).
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 22nd May 13, 5:44 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    Why would you get hooked on Sky.

Full price no one pays that as there will always be discount offers to keep you as a customer.

The number is free if you use SAYNOTO0870.COM.
    Last edited by bigbulldog; 22-05-2013 at 5:46 PM.
  • Narc
    O2 customers might not be too bothered as they were already with a big corporation, but judging by the Be forum, Be ones are escaping en masse!
    Be customers are generally more tech savy and paid the premium for Be because of the excellent customer service, unthrottled and truly unlimited (long before the other ISPs).. the comments show that people are not leaving happily, but since lots of us were impatiently waiting for Be to offer fibre, now with the sale to Sky, time to jump ship.

When O2 took over Be, they left it alone, and that was the smart move.. Sky are idiots (and Murdoch is not getting my money).

BT engineer came this morning and I'm now on Plusnet fibre, getting 5x the download and 15x the upload for about a couple of quids more than before.
    I was with Be for 7+ years!

most Be customers seem to go to either Plusnet or BT.
    Originally posted by PegasusPJ
    As a Be customer this is very disappointing. Currently investigating other options since I cannot believe Sky will leave it alone like O2 did if they are talking about migration.
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 22nd May 13, 6:54 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    I have it in writing (well, e-mail which is legally binding now) that I will NOT have to change my phone provider (BT). I have no intention of doing so either. I'm not happy about the move but I shall just have to live with it unless it does turn out to be utter pants.

Somebody mentioned PlusNet and BT? Are you aware that PlusNet is actually owned by BT? I would not have my BB with either and yes, I have had both providers (PlusNet pre the BT days). Both were atrocious for BB service with very slow downloads and drop outs. I have had possibly two very minor problems in my 5 or 6 years with O2 both cleared up very quickly, thank you.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible
    • only_mee
    • By only_mee 22nd May 13, 7:24 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    only_mee
    Yeah my plusnet speeds are shocking

Compared to my O2 days

Customer service is on par with O2 imho free call English call centre.
    Last edited by only_mee; 22-05-2013 at 7:28 PM.
    • thegrail
    • By thegrail 22nd May 13, 8:02 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thegrail
    Why would you get hooked on Sky.

Full price no one pays that as there will always be discount offers to keep you as a customer.

The number is free if you use SAYNOTO0870.COM.
    Originally posted by bigbulldog
    Why hooked? Well - if you have all the extra channel in HD and then have to lose them if you go to a different platform? If you've recorded lots of programs for prosperity on your Sky-HD box and then either drop the subscription level or cancel then you can't view the anymore. If you want to switch away from Sky, how easy will it be (technically)? Will you be able to keep your phone number?

I agree, though, you can probably get a good discount if you threaten to cancel - make sure you raise all problems / complaints via retentions...

And I still stick to what I heard from the rep - if you have a BT landline and decide you want to have Sky they will try to force you to switch to full LLU (I think that's the correct term) and move your phone line to Sky; or you take your phone line and broadband to another supplier and then end up paying excessively to ring Sky. I know they used to allow you to have a BT phone line, but they stopped it a while ago - why? Because they want maximum revenue and profits.

As far as 0844 and saynoto0870.com - there doesn't seem to be an alternative to the number on the email offer. To me, with a BT phone line I get 0845 and 0870 included and prefer to not bother with other routes - actually I'd prefer an 0800 number - like O2 has for phone and broadband. Note - Sky does not include 0845 numbers in their inclusive calls and there are still a lot of companies using these.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 22nd May 13, 8:08 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    And I still stick to what I heard from the rep - if you have a BT landline and decide you want to have Sky they will try to force you to switch to full LLU (I think that's the correct term) and move your phone line to Sky; or you take your phone line and broadband to another supplier and then end up paying excessively to ring Sky.......
    Originally posted by thegrail
    The rep mislead (lied to)you!

If you are concerned about this issue and don't trust what they have written on their website (that o2 customers not on o2 phone line won't have to move to sky), then write and ask them to confirm to you what is written there!
    • thegrail
    • By thegrail 22nd May 13, 8:22 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thegrail
    The rep mislead (lied to)you!

If you are concerned about this issue and don't trust what they have written on their website (that o2 customers not on o2 phone line won't have to move to sky), then write and ask them to confirm to you what is written there!
    Thanks Quentin - but I'm not bothered - I'll be jumping ship after my year's free broadband I just don't trust Sky; I don't trust Murdoch.

I can believe they lied, but I can also believe that you can't guarantee what you see on a web site or in an email. If they do change their minds or renege on a statement what is the penalty? Someone got it wrong so you have to switch to another supplier or accept the move to Sky Phone - take your pick. Stick with BT and pay 15p connection + 5p per minute to sit in a phone queue to Sky for 10 minutes (=65p), or switch to Sky Phone and get the call for nothing. They raise this as an issue for not having Sky Phone with the satellite service as well.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 23rd May 13, 12:07 AM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 7,156 Thanks
    esuhl
    I was with BE because of their fantastic technical support. They never read from a script and knew exactly what they were doing. I know Sky's support won't be anything like as good, so I looked around for a cheaper deal, and found that (with the £200 cashback deal offered on Quidco), O2 would pay me to have a 12-month contract with them! Seeing as I'd be going to Sky anyway, why not...?

The technical support from O2 is apalling! They don't have a clue about even the very basics of networking technology, and refused to support or provide documentation to explain the features or their own router!

And I'm a bit worried about the Quidco cashback deal. Instead of signing up online, Quidco gave a special phone number to contact O2 directly. The sales woman at O2 assured me that she would email confirmation of the contract, including details of the cashback. I never got the email. When I phoned to query this, I was told that I would definitely get the cashback... but no one in O2 can see any of the details. "So, that's a complete guess, then?", I asked. "Er... yes." came the reply.

I asked for a recording or transcript of the call to be sent to me and was told that it would be illegal because of the Data Protection Act (DPA). I advised them that it would be illegal to refuse to send me such information and they said that I'd have to raise a complaint, which they would only let me do if I don't receive the cashback... at some time in the future... but they don't really know when.

Does anyone know how O2 (or Sky) are going to manage these cashback claims? Anyone else in the same boat?
    • only_mee
    • By only_mee 23rd May 13, 7:56 AM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    only_mee
    I got my £200 by opting for the 12months free bb, and the £200 was credited to my my mobile phone account.I left after a month or so and still got the £200.
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 23rd May 13, 8:51 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    As far as 0844 and saynoto0870.com - there doesn't seem to be an alternative to the number on the email offer. To me, with a BT phone line I get 0845 and 0870 included and prefer to not bother with other routes - actually I'd prefer an 0800 number - like O2 has for phone and broadband. Note - Sky does not include 0845 numbers in their inclusive calls and there are still a lot of companies using these.
    Try this number as found by saynoto0870.com 020 7126 7020 this took all of a few seconds to find.
    Last edited by bigbulldog; 23-05-2013 at 9:39 AM.
    • Nyarlathotep
    • By Nyarlathotep 23rd May 13, 9:05 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Nyarlathotep
    I've got O2 broadband but am out of contract so no problem there. I've kept it mainly because I use O2 PAYG mobile so I get the £5 monthly discount on my broadband. And I'm happy with it on the whole.

Have had the introductory letter from Sky, am not much the wiser. My landline is with BT - in fact, Sky landline is not yet available in my area, so I'm not too sure what would happen there anyway.
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 23-05-2013 at 9:12 AM.
    nyarlathotep
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 23rd May 13, 9:14 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    .... My landline is with BT - in fact, Sky landline is not yet available in my area, so i'm not sure what would happen there anyway.
    Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
    They have stated on their website FAQ for o2 forced "migrants" to sky that if your landline is not with o2 then you will not have to take a sky landline:

If you donít have an O2 Home Phone or BE landline service currently, you wonít have to take these services with Sky.
    • thegrail
    • By thegrail 23rd May 13, 11:12 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thegrail
    What is meant by "don't have to take Sky landline"?
    They have stated on their website FAQ for o2 forced "migrants" to sky that if your landline is not with o2 then you will not have to take a sky landline:
    I agree that in areas outside the "Sky Network" you have to use someone else (i.e. probably BT), but if you are inside their area where they have their own kit installed they'd surely like you to switch.

It says "you don't have to take a Sky landline", but if you don't, what are the implications?
    • easymoney999
    • By easymoney999 23rd May 13, 1:24 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    easymoney999
    I've got O2 broadband but am out of contract so no problem there. I've kept it mainly because I use O2 PAYG mobile so I get the £5 monthly discount on my broadband. And I'm happy with it on the whole.

Have had the introductory letter from Sky, am not much the wiser. My landline is with BT - in fact, Sky landline is not yet available in my area, so I'm not too sure what would happen there anyway.
    Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
    What is happening regarding the £5 discount for O2 pay and go customers once they move over to sky? I guess that will go.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 23rd May 13, 2:14 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    I agree that in areas outside the "Sky Network" you have to use someone else (i.e. probably BT), but if you are inside their area where they have their own kit installed they'd surely like you to switch.

It says "you don't have to take a Sky landline", but if you don't, what are the implications?
    What are you looking for over this?

They have put 2 answers to questions about this on their FAQ.

In both they state (unambiguously) that o2 customers who don't have o2 supplying their landline won't have to take sky landline .

Presumably there will be offers to us to encourage us to take their landline and other products, just as others offer bundled bb with phone deals which are cheaper than buying them separately.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 23rd May 13, 2:20 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    What is happening regarding the £5 discount for O2 pay and go customers once they move over to sky? I guess that will go.
    Originally posted by easymoney999
    They say on their site nothing will happen about the discount for now.

Nothing changes right now and for the time being youíll continue to benefit from any regular monthly discounts on your broadband and or home phone account
    Presumably they won't continue for ever giving this discount (and hopefully data protection will mean they cannot police it anyway).

Maybe they will replace it with a discount if we take their phoneline??
    • thegrail
    • By thegrail 23rd May 13, 2:34 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    thegrail
    What are you looking for over this?

They have put 2 answers to questions about this on their FAQ.

In both they state (unambiguously) that o2 customers who don't have o2 supplying their landline won't have to take sky landline .

Presumably there will be offers to us to encourage us to take their landline and other products, just as others offer bundled bb with phone deals which are cheaper than buying them separately.
    Thanks Quentin - I think I responded to your answer too quickly - anyhow after all the discussions and looking at the offers I've decided enough was enough and have decided to switch to BT - my O2/Sky broadband will end on 31st May.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 23rd May 13, 2:41 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    Jon 01
    Yeah my plusnet speeds are shocking

Compared to my O2 days

Customer service is on par with O2 imho free call English call centre.
    Originally posted by only_mee
    Nice speeds!

I was looking to switch to them via Quidco (ex Be customer of 5+ years), but the Quidco site states half price BB for 9 months, but there's no such offer when you get transferred to the Plusnet site?
  • espresso
    Thanks Quentin - but I'm not bothered - I'll be jumping ship after my year's free broadband I just don't trust Sky; I don't trust Murdoch.
    Thanks Quentin - I think I responded to your answer too quickly - anyhow after all the discussions and looking at the offers I've decided enough was enough and have decided to switch to BT - my O2/Sky broadband will end on 31st May.

Nice speeds!

I was looking to switch to them via Quidco (ex Be customer of 5+ years), but the Quidco site states half price BB for 9 months, but there's no such offer when you get transferred to the Plusnet site?
    Originally posted by Jon 01
    £101 cashback at TCB.
    Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,180Users online

Martin's Twitter