MOD Tax Refunds

Comments

• strong8096
    strong8096 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    so i can use the p87 for travel claim, but lasts years it works out over the 2500 allowance and said i have to do an online self assessment for it, anyone done this how easy is it.
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    strong8096 wrote: »
    so i can use the p87 for travel claim, but lasts years it works out over the 2500 allowance and said i have to do an online self assessment for it, anyone done this how easy is it.

I do self assessment each year, and go well over 2500 with my reservist mileage.

Depending on income, savings and expenses - all of which have to be entered - and how well you keep records, it can take a minimum of a few hours to (my first year!) a couple of very long days.

I use paid software - https://www.taxcalc.com - which helps a lot.
  • BBpops
    BBpops Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tomwebb5 wrote: »
    You absolute toilet fergie76, if you know enough about Royal too bad mouth them and essentially call them liars and fraudsters, then surely you know that the usual length of draft for a bootneck is 2 years. Which luckily enough classifies, according to HMRC, every draft a bootneck does as a temporary place of work. So please research before you start bad mouthing the corps!
    If anybody in the armed forces would like more information on fuel allowances and are entitled too a refund please let me know via message and i can point you in the right direction. As us Royal have a very friendly and helpful chartered accountant company that deals with most of our claims for a very small fee.

Can anyone provide guidance on fuel cost when vehicle not registered to personnel? how do hmrc calculate and determine actual charge without receipts?
  • It's based on mileage rates, but you need the right level of insurance, and normally need to have been the legal owner/hirer of the car. What are the circumstances in your case?
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • BBpops
    BBpops Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Rift has said that he qualifies for travel expenses for all the bases he has been posted to on a temporary basis less than 24 months but wanted to charge him the 28% plus vat. They said that he could claim for the time he used my car so I have assumed that this would be at the HMRC advisory fuel rate which I have taken off HMRCs website. He was a named driver and had business mileage class 1 on the insurance, although I can only find the insurance documents for part of that time. He then purchased a car himself and have calculated the claim as 45p per mile as he did not receive any allowance from MOD. I have never completed a self assessment tax form nor the P87 mentioned above, but assume it is not too difficult, perhaps just time consuming? Any advice would be gratefully and hugely appreciated.
  • Just get the forms and fill them in accurate for when he travelled (so not when on course/deployed/leave etc), his posting must have been expected to be, and actually, less than 24 months each time. It's the tax you get back on the mileage rates (less any payment he received), not the actual mileage rates. So not difficult, just a matter of keeping accurate records and transferring the facts onto the relevant forms. :-)
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • I used ForcesMoney and while their rate is still 25% least i can say it was hassle free!
  • Hi, Can you tell me how I go about claiming back travel expenses. My Son is a Royal Marine and has heard from some of his colleagues that this is possible. Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 July 2016 at 11:38AM
    It is very interesting that these companies appear to be able to get money back for the military commuting as long as the posting is less than 24 months, despite the serviceman already being in receipt of Home-Duty payments and on a contract longer than the supposed 2 year maximum.

Its even more interesting that despite me only being on a 2yr contract with a Govt Agency, they are unable to assist me with claiming the tax back on my commuting costs - I get no assistance!
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    The rules are not just for the military, martinbuckley - they apply for all NON-commuting travel, e.g. courses, temporary duty (defined as less than 24 months). Tax relief is legally due on the difference between the HMRC approved rate and the mileage amount the MoD pay.

The companies may be set up to deal with military personnel, but you can make your own claim (as I do) without their help - DYOR!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure