Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    • 1,847Posts
    • 604Thanks
    lyniced
    Blue Badge 'police'
    • 31st Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    Blue Badge 'police' 31st Jul 10 at 6:04 PM
    Honestly I can't believe what has just happened. I parked in my local town in a disabled bay, and before I even got my badge out to display, some oldish (well she must have been 60s I guess - if thats ageist I do apologize) woman knocked on the window of the car and ranted on at me that her husband was disabled and she needed the space and because I don't look old (I'm 45 by the way) I guess she took issue with me and wouldn't let me get a word in. Even some passers-by were watching the spectacle unfold!

Anyway, when I finally did manage to reply that I was disabled and I did have a badge she didn't believe me and said some sniffy things. I retorted that (in a very nice way) that she shouldn't always assume things and despite her age she should be more polite.

She eventually walked off and I was left shaking - my goodness I felt like I'd been interogated by the Gestapo!!!! We don't need a police force, just old ladies with a grudge!!
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
Page 5
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 2nd Aug 10, 5:36 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    We've just returned from a holiday in North Wales. My son has Down's syndrome and several other disabilities. He uses a wheelchair and of course, we took it on holiday with us. We were really surprised at how many people stared at him - especially children. As we passed, some people actually turnedd around to keep looking at us. We've never experienced this in our home town, so it was a bit of a surprise. My daughter commented on it, but I just told her to ignore the ignorance that other people have.
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    I'm not being rude when I say this:
    With children staring, it's because it's something they've never seen before. I don't know if it's just me, (a friends' son has Downs Syndrome, too) but their facial features do look different.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 2nd Aug 10, 8:20 PM
    • 7,744 Posts
    • 11,454 Thanks
    KxMx
    Like the elderly gentleman today, who had gone up 2 steps no trouble to sit at the back end of the bus, saying to a friend " young people never give up their seats for us nowadays", well that may be true sometimes, but I am 23 and need my seat, I have 3 chronic life long conditions (all hidden) and I have a need to sit down too, especially as I have just paid full fare!
    • simpywimpy
    • By simpywimpy 2nd Aug 10, 8:28 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    simpywimpy
    This happened to my son who is 24. He hadnt even got out of the car before a woman with an elderly passenger started ranting at him that she needed the space. My son does have a disability but she judged him from the head only. She even had the cheek to take his registration number and threatened to report him.

She tried to get him to explain to her what was wrong with him to which he replied it was nothing to do with her in the end he gave her a mouthful and she left. He shouldnt have to resort to that though but people are so judgemental.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Like the elderly gentleman today, who had gone up 2 steps no trouble to sit at the back end of the bus, saying to a friend " young people never give up their seats for us nowadays", well that may be true sometimes, but I am 23 and need my seat, I have 3 chronic life long conditions (all hidden) and I have a need to sit down too, especially as I have just paid full fare!
    Originally posted by KxMx
    But how was he supposed to know that and not to think that you were just being thoughtless?
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 2nd Aug 10, 10:56 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    This happened to my son who is 24. He hadnt even got out of the car before a woman with an elderly passenger started ranting at him that she needed the space. My son does have a disability but she judged him from the head only. She even had the cheek to take his registration number and threatened to report him.

She tried to get him to explain to her what was wrong with him to which he replied it was nothing to do with her in the end he gave her a mouthful and she left. He shouldnt have to resort to that though but people are so judgemental.
    Originally posted by simpywimpy

I thought we lived in a tolerant society - obviously not.
    • daska
    • By daska 2nd Aug 10, 11:04 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    Sometimes I sit in the car when my daughter goes to the shops for me (if I'm feeling too tired to use the wheelchair) with my head down, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone in case I get disapproving looks.
    Originally posted by lyniced
    you better re check that because official site says thats missuse and liable for £1000 fine see below...
    Originally posted by pwales
    This subject was argued about quite recently on a different thread. So I e-mailed to double check. This is the situation in England (the rules vary in other parts of the UK/abroad)

The rules are slightly different in England to the Blue Badge rules in Wales and Scotland . I suggest that you contact the authorities in Wales and Scotland for information on advice publications that they may have about the use of a Blue Badge.

The Blue Badge is for the direct use and benefit of the Blue Badge holder and therefore the advice given in the booklet on page 7 is that the badge and its concessions are just for the badge holderís use. The parking regulations, attached, give the rules for using a Blue Badge to park and as you will see the badge holder must be present when parking the car or is being collected at the place where the car is parked. In some cases if a badge holder is remaining in the vehicles it may appear as if the have allowed an able bodied person parking concessions available only to them. It isnít illegal for the Badge holder to remain the vehicle, however, if the Badge holder is not getting out of the car there isnít a need to display the Blue Badge as the Blue Badge holder doesnít need to park close to the destination as they do not need to get out of the car.

Please feel free to contact me on the advice line if you wish to discuss this further.

Kind regards

[name deleted]
    Blue Badge Advice Assistant
    The Blue Badge advice line is provided by The Community Transport Association on behalf of the Department for Transport, Blue Badge Scheme Division.

CTA
    Highbank
    Halton Street
    Hyde
    SK14 2NY
    Tel: 0161 367 0009
    Fax: 0870 774 3581
    by bluebadge <bluebadge@ctauk.org>
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Aug 10, 11:07 PM
    • 17,031 Posts
    • 145,904 Thanks
    JackieO
    My dd is insured to drive my vehicle, and sometimes if I am not feeling too good she will drive me to the local supermarket .She has had folk banging on the window as well even though I am in the car beside her.She gets out and tells them she is just getting a chair from the store for me I am the wrong side of 60 and have a mobility problem that means there are times when my joints just won't work very well.We just wait until the ranter has slowed down then I produce my badge plus my two walking sticks and silently raise my eyebrows .That usually works quite well.
    I once had some chap at the hospital back in the winter yelling abuse at me as I had parked quite legally in a disabled bay but as there was a covering of snow he thought I had just double parked my car.As I hobbled out to go into the hospital I did say 'actually its a disabled bay and I have a badge' His wife who was following him whacked him smartly about the ear and said 'why don't you think before you open your mouth' I went into the hospital smiling at his obvious discomfort.
    Unfortunately there are some folk who just don't think.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • daska
    • By daska 2nd Aug 10, 11:08 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    But how was he supposed to know that and not to think that you were just being thoughtless?
    Originally posted by Oldernotwiser
    Conversely, why did he automatically assume that the person was being thoughtless and wasn't in fact disabled - that's true ageism.

Maybe all disabled people should be legally obliged to wear the official 'disabled' icon stitched onto our jackets.
    • mumps
    • By mumps 2nd Aug 10, 11:23 PM
    • 5,714 Posts
    • 12,722 Thanks
    mumps
    I don't understand why people get so much grief, as I said earlier DH has had BB for 20 years, at first it really wasn't that obvious that he was disabled and as we had a toddler and bump you would think we would have got some of this aggro. Maybe I am just oblivious to people glaring at us or maybe down in sunny Devon people are less aggressive. I think its a shame people can't live and let live a bit.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • I know my ABC and my CMYK
    I have had abuse at using my badge too, to the point that I couldn't bring myself to renew when the date was running out.

I don't bother going out of the house much these days.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Conversely, why did he automatically assume that the person was being thoughtless and wasn't in fact disabled - that's true ageism.
    Originally posted by daska
    I don't think age comes into it. So many people on buses don't give up their seats to elderly (and disabled) people these days that seeing a young person not offering his seat it would be far more likely to assume thoughtlessness rather than disability.

Anyway, it's a free world and anybody can make a comment to a friend - it's hardly abuse.
    Last edited by Oldernotwiser; 03-08-2010 at 12:36 AM.
    • juno
    • By juno 3rd Aug 10, 11:56 AM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    Maybe all disabled people should be legally obliged to wear the official 'disabled' icon stitched onto our jackets.
    Originally posted by daska
    Don't be silly.

Disabled people should not be allowed out!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt £4578.27 £0.00
    100% paid off

• lyniced
    • By lyniced 3rd Aug 10, 5:28 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    I have had abuse at using my badge too, to the point that I couldn't bring myself to renew when the date was running out.

I don't bother going out of the house much these days.
    Originally posted by I know my ABC and my CMYK
    I'm really sorry to hear that.
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 3rd Aug 10, 5:29 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    Don't be silly.

Disabled people should not be allowed out!
    Originally posted by juno
    Yes, we should be locked up for our own good!!!!
    Last edited by lyniced; 03-08-2010 at 5:36 PM.
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 3rd Aug 10, 5:37 PM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    I have had a few encounters when I have had my mum in the car, usually its at the supermarket that attracts the most attention.

I loud "wind yer neck in" or "mind your own business" usually does the trick, I never justify myself at all, I dont care if my old lady looks disabled or not, any one who thinks they are free to comment bring it on.

I am more than happy to vent my spleen in their direction.
  • jennihen
    Yes, we should be locked up for our own good!!!!
    Originally posted by lyniced
    The only abuse I've ever received has been from other BB holders who like to indulge in 'my disability is worse than yours' in supermarket carparks.
    One life.
  • TWINKLE-STAR
    i have had this problem loads of times, sadly usually from elderly people which shocks me and makes me annoyed as i spent years and years caring for the elderly before i got ill and found them all lovely people and i missed them greatly when i left. i honestly never thought i would ever find myself being verbally abused by them. everyone will get old someday and i hope i dont turn into an old bat!

my nana would have never of been so rude to someone
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 3rd Aug 10, 7:26 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    i have had this problem loads of times, sadly usually from elderly people which shocks me and makes me annoyed as i spent years and years caring for the elderly before i got ill and found them all lovely people and i missed them greatly when i left. i honestly never thought i would ever find myself being verbally abused by them. everyone will get old someday and i hope i dont turn into an old bat!

my nana would have never of been so rude to someone
    Originally posted by TWINKLE-STAR
    Yes, true, we will all be old one day, D.V.
  • TheBottomLine
    I don't think age comes into it. So many people on buses don't give up their seats to elderly (and disabled) people these days that seeing a young person not offering his seat it would be far more likely to assume thoughtlessness rather than disability.

Anyway, it's a free world and anybody can make a comment to a friend - it's hardly abuse.
    Originally posted by Oldernotwiser
    Guess how many elderly people have ever given up their seat for me when I board a bus? Give up? It's zero. Young people do it all the time but never the elderly. They always have a good moan if I'm already in a disabled seat when they get on, a couple of elderly people have even asked if they can have the seat. Guess what I said? Yes of course! All you have to do is ask.

I'll tell you what's the worst - when they jog for the bus then limp about and moan the disabled seat is taken. Whatever.

And it is definite ageism that older people think they have more of a right than younger people - disabled or not.
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 3rd Aug 10, 8:49 PM
    • 35,655 Posts
    • 22,502 Thanks
    DCFC79

Originally posted by simpywimpy
    well i think your son did right, he was right in that its nothing to do with her,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,969Users online

Martin's Twitter