Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davilown
    • By davilown 17th Feb 09, 11:27 PM
    • 1,520Posts
    • 959Thanks
    davilown
    Afprb 2009
    • 17th Feb 09, 11:27 PM
    Afprb 2009 17th Feb 09 at 11:27 PM
    Does anyone know when the Armed Forces Pay Review Body reports to Parliament? It get's later and later each year ( though not a major problem as they pay the increase from Apr).
    Just get the feeling we will feel the brunt of the economic crisis this government has put us in.
    Back in Debt 214,500 on a 230,900 mortgage) Overpayment 37 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2034
    27000/27000 paid off Feb 2010 since LBM Jan 2007!
Page 3
  • mitchaa
    it's 2.6% with a 1% increase for x factor

look here.
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PolicyStrategyandPlanning/TopLevelMessages/

march 09 document page 9
    Originally posted by ktuludays
    If you look at every previous document in that list, it states the above so this was the old award...They are referring to the increase of pay 08/09.

• ktuludays
    • By ktuludays 20th Mar 09, 3:20 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    ktuludays
    i admit i didn't read all the others. that one was boring enough.

let's just hope they announce it soon. until then i wont be holding my breath
    You got to get through what you've got to go through to get what you want but you got to know what you want to get through what you got to go through.
  • Renovatio
    RPI and CPI Inflation rates
    It is interesting that all our previous pay increases under this government have been based on the CPI rate, which has historically been lower than RPI (CPI does not include mortgage repayments).

The Government were no doubt waiting for Feb's inflation figures to be released, expecting 0% or a negative percentage; they could then justify giving us a very low increase (around 1%).

Yesterdays announcement that RPI is 0%, whilst CPI is 3.2% means that the government will have to carry out a double-cross of collossal magnitude to award us less than 3%.

I think most people do expect them to stitch us up on this one - pity we have no formal means of complaint
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 25th Mar 09, 10:49 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    The Armed Forces are likely to get the most generous of all the public sector pay deals that are awaiting announcement. The percentage may not sound very high (and I don't know what it is, I'm just talking theoretically), but when others are facing pay freezes and cuts, and the RPI is now zero, anything is better than nothing.

The Armed Forces have the support of the public more than anyone else, and with retention issues, have a reasonably strong case. I understand that there a long recruiting queues, though - whether they're up to the standards required will have to be seen.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 25th Mar 09, 1:19 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    I feel that the 27k (plus 3k HDT) i get paid a year is fair & im happy with this for the job i do.

What i think is unfair, is the rise in -

Council tax (3.25%)
    Water rates
    Gas & elec
    Fuel (2p per ltr)
    Food etc

We are not alone in this, but overall this year its going to be a pay cut, not a pay rise.

• frugal_matelot
    • By frugal_matelot 26th Mar 09, 9:52 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    frugal_matelot
    I don't believe there are many in the Forces that are expecting much of a pay rise but it would be nice to be informed. Any pay rise we do get should happen as from the 1st April which is 6 days away. As had been said before we normally get informed in February of the AFPRB's findings and the payrise that goes with it. Why are they leaving it so late?
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 26th Mar 09, 10:11 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    Because the economy (and therefore government spending) is in total turmoil.

They want to make a single announcment on the main public sector (i.e. central) pay increases - that's the Armed Forces, Senior Civil Service, Judges, Nurses, Doctors, Police etc - all those whose pay is decided centrally, rather than departmentally.

Fingers crossed it still comes in for April pay, I guess the deadline for the pay techies will be quite early in April for any testing of pay systems etc.
    • frugal_matelot
    • By frugal_matelot 26th Mar 09, 2:19 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    frugal_matelot
    This has just been posted on Rum Ration:

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:51 pm
    Bob Ainsworth has been on his feet for the last half hour and has just said that there is no fixed date for the announcement of the findings of the AFPRB but that they will be presented to the Commons soon.
    It doesn't that they have entirely forgotten us but it doesn't seem we are going to get an announcement prior to April 1st as 'soon' isn't a word I associate with politicians to mean imminently.
    • ICATQ
    • By ICATQ 26th Mar 09, 3:04 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    ICATQ
    It looks like it's planned, but i don't understand why it hasn't be announced in the media.
    Originally posted by debtfreein2009
    Neither does anyone else, least of all those serving!

The latest is that it will be released 'soon'. Typical politico reply.
  • or8it
    Word is 2.8%

You know where you heard it first
  • helliecopter
    Word is 2.8%

You know where you heard it first
    Originally posted by or8it

Is that from the rumour mill or from hard evidence? :confused:
    LMB 01/03/089001.61 10/6 6089.70 - 32%paid off!
    Grocery Challenge 25/6 to 24/7 350 week1 30-46 / 87-50

• DLRIMMERS
    Seen as we are not aloud to take strike action, if we don't get a pay rise then we could do a mass sign off then where would they be. They have already put the single soldiers PAYD up as of 1st April, so if this is the case surely they have to give a small pay rise if they are already upping the food and accomodation?
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 26th Mar 09, 7:40 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    Seen as we are not aloud to take strike action, if we don't get a pay rise then we could do a mass sign off then where would they be. They have already put the single soldiers PAYD up as of 1st April, so if this is the case surely they have to give a small pay rise if they are already upping the food and accomodation?
    Originally posted by DLRIMMERS
    There will be a payrise, but you will soon lose public sympathy if you don't show understanding for what the rest of the country is going through, with pay freezes, pay cuts and a loy of job losses.

They don't HAVE to give you a pay rise just because costs are going up, but I'm sure they will.

As you say, if you don't like what's offered, sign off. The right to strike doesn't get you very far in a recession.
  • DLRIMMERS
    Can totally sympathise with those not in the forces within the current climate. We simply want to know yey or ney? They are already hiking up the prices of food for the single soldiers, and we don't even know if were going to be worse off
  • archived user
    And Sailors and Airmen
    • ICATQ
    • By ICATQ 26th Mar 09, 11:21 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    ICATQ
    I actually received a letter from my MP today in response to an email I sent on 11 Mar 09.

Needless to say it didnt actually tell me anything, just replicated information available on the www. She does say however that she is "trying to affirm a more conclusive resonse from the minister"

Dont bend over backwards eh....
    • frugal_matelot
    • By frugal_matelot 27th Mar 09, 8:56 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    frugal_matelot
    I actually received a letter from my MP today in response to an email I sent on 11 Mar 09.

Needless to say it didnt actually tell me anything, just replicated information available on the www. She does say however that she is "trying to affirm a more conclusive resonse from the minister"

Dont bend over backwards eh....
    Originally posted by ICATQ
    That doesn't sound like she's trying too hard. She's probably having more fun witch hunting another MP so they can have a bit more in-fighting.
  • Renovatio
    but you will soon lose public sympathy if you don't show understanding for what the rest of the country is going through.
    Originally posted by Trying to be good
    Due to the polices of the current government, there are thousands of personnel risking their lives everyday for the benefit of this country, how dare you compare that to any other profession in the UK. Last time i looked there was not 50+ personnel a year being killed in any other public service sector!

Furthermore, that is without taking account of the actual figures for the 100's who are seriously wounded each year (you do not see those figures being published, do you!).
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 27th Mar 09, 5:00 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    Due to the polices of the current government, there are thousands of personnel risking their lives everyday for the benefit of this country, how dare you compare that to any other profession in the UK. Last time i looked there was not 50+ personnel a year being killed in any other public service sector!

Furthermore, that is without taking account of the actual figures for the 100's who are seriously wounded each year (you do not see those figures being published, do you!).
    Originally posted by Renovatio
    I dare because what I am comparing is the pay rise for the Armed Forces, not about whether I, or anyone else, thinks you're doing a good job, or how likely Armed Forces personnel are to be killed/seriously injured.

The Armed Forces are paid from the public purse. There is a balance that needs to be achieved between money in and money out. That's a reality. The Defence budget is likely to be severely squeezed in the years to come, and (improved) equipment must be a high priority.

I still think, as I said before, that the Armed Forces will get the best pay rise of the public sector deals to be announced, specifically for the reasons you state.

How dare you question my support of the Armed Forces?
    Last edited by Trying to be good; 27-03-2009 at 5:07 PM.
  • tartanterra
    There will be a payrise, but you will soon lose public sympathy if you don't show understanding for what the rest of the country is going through, with pay freezes, pay cuts and a loy of job losses.

They don't HAVE to give you a pay rise just because costs are going up, but I'm sure they will.

As you say, if you don't like what's offered, sign off. The right to strike doesn't get you very far in a recession.
    Originally posted by Trying to be good
    One word....

MUPPET
    Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,817Posts Today

8,017Users online

Martin's Twitter