Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GotNoRhythm
    Help for Hearing Impairment
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:12 AM
    Help for Hearing Impairment 16th Oct 08 at 1:12 AM
    Hi all,
    I thought I'd set up a thread for people (like me) with hearing impairments I have two CIC hearing aids and can't really hear much at all without them!!

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any sort of equipment that I can use in conjunction with (or in place of) my alarm clock. I've reached a point now where I can't hear it unless I sleep with one of my hearing aids in - not ideal!!

I got funding for my hearing aids through access to work. Would this be a good place to try? (Do they still exist??! It's about 5 years since I last spoke to them!) The little company that supplied my hearing aids were wonderful but sadly don't exist anymore, and I don't like the company that bought them out (plus it's about 45 miles away from where I live)

Many thanks,
    GNR xx
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Page 4
  • Errata
    I got a whole stack of stuff from a local organisation which is funded by the council to provide technical equipment. I've a gizmo I wear on my belt which vibrates - and it surely does ! - in response to the doorbell, telephone, smoke alarm and a vibrating pad which goes under the mattress which does the same as the gizmo. All free.

I lost an analogue aid a few years ago - still missing - and the audiologist started to go off on one about cost blah blah, where did I lose it - eh?, carelessness blah blah, starving children in Africa blah blah.............lol. I asked her if the cost of a replacement was being funded by her or if there was a rationing system in operation. She calmed down - must have realised I was going to be the patient from hell !
    I'm now on digi aids and was told replacements would be charged at 45 a go, which is fair enough - I could still as easily lose one !

Right.........$64,000 question. Who knows which mobile phone has a built in induction loop ? I bought a neck loop which works ok, but if I leave it switched on it goes through 5 worth of batteries a week. Which is a lot more than the cost of the calls I make !
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 24th Oct 08, 8:23 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 30,978 Thanks
    allydowd

Right.........$64,000 question. Who knows which mobile phone has a built in induction loop ?
    Originally posted by Errata
    The Emporia Life mobile telephone T389 has. Details from the RNID shop:

http://www.rnid.org.uk/shop/products/mobile_phone_accessories/emporia_life_mobile_telephone.htm

http://www.rnid.org.uk/shop/products/mobile_phone_accessories/emporia_life_mobile_telephone.htm?questionAndAnswe rs=true
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 100
    Free Running Challenge: 14/30
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • watney
    Loss of hearing
    Whilst out with my dog I slipped and banged my head the outcome of which was major hearing loss in both ears.I visited my G.P. who arranged for me to visit the audiology dept at my local hospital after a hearing test and examination by a consultant I was told my loss was permenant and I would be fitted up with hearing aids both digital (would cost to buy over 1000 each to buy)
    they are serviced every six month and I get as many free batteries as I need.They also arranged for a visit from social services The outcome of which My house was wired upwith smoke alarms which are connected to a vibrating pad under my pillow and bright blue flashing strobe lights they also fitted a loop system to my T.V. a front doorbell with strobes, and a telephone also with strobes,all for free. The first port of call is your Doctor.
  • GotNoRhythm
    Hi all,
    Just a quick question (I hope!) - who does the cheapest hearing-aid batteries? Is it Boots and their 3 for 2 offers, or can anyone trump that?
    Cheers!
    GNR
    x
  • GotNoRhythm
    Hi, I am a new user so not quite sure what I am doing:confused: but this is a great thread, so glad you started it, it was badly needed I did see a vibrating alarm clock to put under the pillow in TK Maxx today, I think it was only 4.99 or thereabouts. Of course it is the luck of the draw in there as to whether they have any! The fire brigade were visiting the houses in my area, (north east) to install smoke alarms etc. They said they gave out vibrating alarms for under the pillow too, but mostly if you lived or slept alone as they were more expensive.
    I also would like to point out that if you wear a hearing aid you can apply for a disabled rail card which entitles you AND any one travelling with you to 1/3rd off most fares. The card costs 18 (it might have gone up a bit since I renewed mine in July) I only had to send my brown book with the payment to get it. You can get an application for at any station or apply online. Hope this helps someone.
    P.S. I am having a bit of trouble working out the abreviations, but I guess I will get used to them
    Originally posted by hifromi
    Hi, hifromi,
    Welcome to our friendly little thread! Don't worry about the abbreviations - if you get really stuck there are some good posts on the forum pages which explain them (I'm no expert either - I just ignore the ones I don't understand )
    GNR
    x
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 25th Oct 08, 7:48 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 30,978 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi all,
    Just a quick question (I hope!) - who does the cheapest hearing-aid batteries? Is it Boots and their 3 for 2 offers, or can anyone trump that?
    Cheers!
    GNR
    x
    Originally posted by GotNoRhythm
    The cheapest would be 0p from the hospital!

Failing that try:

Half Price Hearing Aid Batteries
    http://www.halfpricebatteries.co.uk/default.asp?orig=ga

Click Hearing
    https://clickhearing.econduit.co.uk/acatalog/index.html?gclid=CK7UreWEw5YCFQJKtAodPUwtyg

Direct Hearing
    http://www.directhearing.co.uk/batteries.htm

Depends on what you need.
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • GotNoRhythm
    Thanks Allydowd, I had no idea these websites existed!
    Not sure I can get my batteries from NHS/Doctors as my hearing aids are through a private company (even though Access to Work paid for them) - I'll have to check it out!
    • hiphouse
    • By hiphouse 26th Oct 08, 10:41 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    hiphouse
    I've just found this thread - interesting reading! I'd be interested to know what a CIC hearing aid is, is it something to do with a cochlear implant?

I was born with a moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears. I didn't get hearing aids until I was 5 years old I got digital hearing aids four years ago that changed my life - I've heard sounds I've never heard before, like twigs snapping, leafs rustling, water splashing, birds singing... all a bit overwhelming, but fantastic

Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass? I've got the railcard which has been brilliant - once you have applied the annual updates are automatic, what I mean is you don't have to re-apply every year as they expect that once you're deaf you're not going to regain hearing again.

If I can help anyone else I'll try to respond. Thanks to the original poster to this thread. Thanks too for the BSL links.

Hiphouse
  • rosieben
    Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass?...
    Originally posted by hiphouse
    I applied for mine last year; I had to include a supporting letter from my Dr (I had to explain to her what it was about!) which I paid, I think, 23 for. I sent off the form and letter and had the card back within a couple of weeks.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • boglin
    • By boglin 26th Oct 08, 2:29 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    boglin
    Just thought i would join in if thats alright. This is all pretty new to me, i have ok hearing in one ear, but use an nhs aid in the other.
    - It can be bliss though when you have a moaning 5yo, you can totally switch off!!
    Originally posted by jodie114
    Hi - my first post on this forum! I too have significant hearing loss in one ear but normal hearing in the other. I lost my hearing as the result of a virus and also have tinnitus in that ear. One bonus of deafness in one ear is that if your OH snores then you can lie on the hearing side and not have to hear the snoring!

My hearing has worsened over the last year and I thought that maybe there was nothing to be done, if the aid couldn't improve the quality as well as the volume of sound. My GP referred me for a reassessment and I'm so glad that I had this done as I now have a different aid, more powerful, which the audiologist spent ages programming to get the hearing in my left ear as good as possible. It is clearer now but I am still going through the readjustment phase of jumping when someone makes any sort of unexpected noise (even putting a cup on the table) near that ear!

I haven't really explored the use of gadgets but do find using a cordless phone at work really good as it means I can hold the handset in my left hand to my right ear and still be able to jot down notes (without getting tangled up in the cable!)
    • lozzer90
    • By lozzer90 26th Oct 08, 3:21 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 8,222 Thanks
    lozzer90

Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass?

I got a form from my local council which i took to the doctors to sign,(free of charge) I took it back to the council & got my bus pass.
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 26th Oct 08, 6:38 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 30,978 Thanks
    allydowd
    Not sure I can get my batteries from NHS/Doctors as my hearing aids are through a private company (even though Access to Work paid for them) - I'll have to check it out!
    Originally posted by GotNoRhythm
    If you have private hearing aids you are not entitled to free NHS batteries. However, there is a loophole, you are still entitled to free NHS aids which comes with free batteries. Some folk I know get NHS aids so they can get free batteries...which happen to be the same size as their private aids. But you may not feel comfortable with doing that.
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 26th Oct 08, 6:41 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    I've just found this thread - interesting reading! I'd be interested to know what a CIC hearing aid is, is it something to do with a cochlear implant?

I was born with a moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears. I didn't get hearing aids until I was 5 years old I got digital hearing aids four years ago that changed my life - I've heard sounds I've never heard before, like twigs snapping, leafs rustling, water splashing, birds singing... all a bit overwhelming, but fantastic

Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass? I've got the railcard which has been brilliant - once you have applied the annual updates are automatic, what I mean is you don't have to re-apply every year as they expect that once you're deaf you're not going to regain hearing again.

If I can help anyone else I'll try to respond. Thanks to the original poster to this thread. Thanks too for the BSL links.

Hiphouse

CIC : Completely In the Canal....(ear)
    [ great if you use a telephone, very rarely should you get feedback ]...
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 26th Oct 08, 6:47 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 30,978 Thanks
    allydowd
    How do you get the free bus pass?
    Free National Travel Pass bus pass providers:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Over50s/TravelAndLeisure/TravellingAtHomeAndAbroad/DG_10026845

To be eligible on disability grounds you must fall into one of these groups:
    *are blind or partially sighted
    *are profoundly or severely deaf
    *are without speech
    *have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
    *do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
    *have a learning disability,
    or
    *would, if you applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have your application refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol. (This means you can get one if you have many types of epilepsy.)
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 26th Oct 08, 9:28 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    Free National Travel Pass bus pass providers:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Over50s/TravelAndLeisure/TravellingAtHomeAndAbroad/DG_10026845

To be eligible on disability grounds you must fall into one of these groups:
    *are blind or partially sighted
    *are profoundly or severely deaf
    *are without speech
    *have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
    *do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
    *have a learning disability,
    or
    *would, if you applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have your application refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol. (This means you can get one if you have many types of epilepsy.)
    Originally posted by allydowd
    The definition in Scotland, if memory serves me correctly from the application form, is a bilateral loss > 82db.....
  • ATMLADY
    deaf/hearing impaired
    Hello i m deaf since 1973 and if you need hearing aid or equipement to make your life easier for example door bell, phone etc you can ask for deaf social service or british deaf assocation, RNID or your local deaf assocation/ deaf club etc they will help you out for free of charge.

I find portable doorbell flashing light are useful which you can take it to your back garden during the summer.

Pager for fire alarm, baby montior, door bell, phone ring all in single vibrate pager.

Alarm clock portable are good and some moblie phone have in built vibrate alarm clock its very good.

Minicom (textphone) and typetalk, fax, email, text message in moblie phone, video call and webcam are brilliant for deaf/hard of hearing people.

Benefit right to claim for be deaf or hearing impaired, hard of hearing can claim MIDDLE RATE DLA (due to safety risk unable to hear fire when asleep and unable to hear clear when something happen behind you (car, police car or bike shout you to move)

Incapitiy benift because of your hearing problem its harder to get job quicker unlike normal people due to phone or limit skills etc.

tax credit

Free bus pass for any disabled that inc deaf.

Free cinema pass apply from website.

Discount price for any attraction (theme park, musemum and cinema)

Warm home front

Dering empolyment advisor run by all team of deaf people to help deaf people to find a job .

Talk to any other deaf people, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, social service etc they will give you useful information.

My life is alots easier now than i was when i was a teenager in the 1980's before email and moblie phone came along i had use that old fashion letter and arrange in a week, there was no DLA etc back then.

Hope that help.
    • naf123
    • By naf123 29th Oct 08, 7:55 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    naf123
    MIDDLE RATE!!!

WHAT!! I cant belive it! did you have to appeal?

I am profoundly deaf and only get lower rate components :-(
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 29th Oct 08, 11:04 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    A quick update.... Unbelievably, my fathers hearing aid has dried out and is now working again!!! So anyone else who has such a mishap, be patient!
    New phone from RNID is also good except he needs one that picks up the call when you pick up the handset - they refer to this as automatic answering. Well, thay have just got in stock a new phone that can not only do this but can be set to a users own particular hearing loss ie if your loss is at the lower end you can set it to address this problem. It's arriving tomorrow so will let you all know if it does the trick but I tell you the anticipated delight of being able to pick up the phone and actually be heard at the other end and not have to do a 20 mile round trip each day to check on him as he reckons not tobe able to hear me on the phone will be audiological heaven. Keep your fingers crossed.!

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
    ― John Wooden
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 30th Oct 08, 12:03 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    Benefit right to claim for be deaf or hearing impaired, hard of hearing can claim MIDDLE RATE DLA (due to safety risk unable to hear fire when asleep and unable to hear clear when something happen behind you (car, police car or bike shout you to move)

Incapitiy benift because of your hearing problem its harder to get job quicker unlike normal people due to phone or limit skills etc.

tax credit
    Originally posted by ATMLADY
    Huh ?
    Means tested ?

Sorry, not my interpretation of the regs, so please point me in the right direction.....for the middle rate DLA.....
    I'm not likely to work again, so the issue of a job doesn't apply seeing I was ill-health retired 'cause my employer took too long to assist_though the rate of retirement I was given assumed I would get another job...as if.......
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 31st Oct 08, 5:31 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 30,978 Thanks
    allydowd
    Huh ?
    please point me in the right direction.....for the middle rate DLA.....
    Originally posted by altocumulus
    If you believe you qualify for middle rate care you should read these pages for specific details:

RNID DLA factsheet

Deafsign Factsheet

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,624Users online

Martin's Twitter