help i'm in bits

Options

Comments

• genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Krach wrote: »
    At least he will be coming home. A lot of our boys and girls will never get to do that again.

I know this statement is quite true but many of us try not to actually think about it even though it is in the back of our minds always.

Let this mother at least get used to her son being in the army if you ever do, its a new concept for all concerned and there will be highs and lows along the way.

The next high will be seeing him when he's home on leave and then when you go to his pass off parade a very proud and emotional day, don't forget your camera and your tissues.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    A couple of points...

If it ever got out that his mother was ringing up about him coming home, he would be in for an extreme amount of "banter"...leave him alone...he is an adult now...

Get used to disappointment..it is part of forces life, sadly...

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh

She can't help having feelings for her own son - she's a loving, caring and compassionate mum trying to adapt to a relatively new situation

(and yeah, your post does come across as harsh)
  • Firefly
    Firefly Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As much as we all love our children this seems like an awful lot of pressure to put on a young lad. His sister misses him and it's really hard (I know what it's like to be the partner of someone in the forces) but he's got his own life to lead now and isn't in any way responsible for your lives.

Can you take the pressure off him a bit? As much as he wants to get home can you show him that's is quite OK to be home a day or two late, for plans to change at short notice and, if you're at work during the week you'll still find time for family stuff cos you still love him.

His sister needs to find another outlet for what is missing now her brother is elsewhere. I'm sure some of the sources above can provide help with that.

As you mentioned, they've got a whole army to run; hardly suprising one boys travel arrangements aren't top priority. He'll get home eventually.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll have every opportunity to be very proud of your fine young man.
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    frugallass wrote: »
    She can't help having feelings for her own son - she's a loving, caring and compassionate mum trying to adapt to a relatively new situation

(and yeah, your post does come across as harsh)

The post may be harsh, but so is life in the military.

It's admirable that she loves her son, however if she meddles in his career now, he won't thank her....he has started a job, he isn't on a school trip.

You wouldn't phone your sons boss if he worked at Waitrose would you?
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it was just the way you 'said' it - firefly's response was a little more 'subtle' I suppose

I don't think she is 'meddling' in his career - anyway they'll probably look back on this in 10 years time and have a giggle about it
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    Shes not meddling in his career guys, she just trying to get him home sooner.......Typical ATR winchester can't look past their noses

They have booked his flight for monday when there is one on sunday.....nothing to do with duty or being dicked for guard etc....He is 16!!! and as all of you know whos been through training NO ONE listens to you, so its not like he can stamp his feet.

Its called being proactive and getting home earlier....something i have learnt in my time in the Army is never take no as the first answer....especially when its a civi thats dealing with it (as it is in this case as its the civi admin office that deals with the travel arrangements).

And she is NOT going to ruin the career of a 16 yro soldier or get him in any trouble! when he gets there then she will learn hard and fast that she will have NO CONTROL or SAY in what happens to her son...until then go for it Lou
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • gt568
    Options
    Cat695 wrote: »
    Shes not meddling in his career guys, she just trying to get him home sooner.......Typical ATR winchester can't look past their noses

They have booked his flight for monday when there is one on sunday.....nothing to do with duty or being dicked for guard etc....He is 16!!! and as all of you know whos been through training NO ONE listens to you, so its not like he can stamp his feet.

Its called being proactive and getting home earlier....something i have learnt in my time in the Army is never take no as the first answer....especially when its a civi thats dealing with it (as it is in this case as its the civi admin office that deals with the travel arrangements).

And she is NOT going to ruin the career of a 16 yro soldier or get him in any trouble! when he gets there then she will learn hard and fast that she will have NO CONTROL or SAY in what happens to her son...until then go for it Lou

I'm afraid it is meddling...as I said in an earlier post she wouldn't be ringing up if he worked in Waitrose and couldn't get home as planned...it is his career and future, not his mothers..

I never said it would get him into trouble, but trust me if word gets out amongst his fellow recruits that mummy is on the phone bleating, well it could make his life uncomfortable..

Lastly maybe he isn't too bothered about rushing home, perhaps he is enjoying his freedom away from the apron strings....
  • frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    she wouldn't be ringing up if he worked in Waitrose and couldn't get home as planned...it is his career and future, not his mothers..

if word gets out amongst his fellow recruits that mummy is on the phone bleating, well it could make his life uncomfortable..

You can't compare army life to working at waitrose.

Maybe the mothers of his fellow recruits are feeling the same way.
  • gt568
    Options
    frugallass wrote: »
    You can't compare army life to working at waitrose.

Maybe the mothers of his fellow recruits are feeling the same way.

The point I was making was would she be interfering if he went to work for another company...no of course not..

They probably do feel the same, but as difficult as it is, you have to let go.
  • Firefly
    Firefly Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Horrid isn't it that once they're out in the world of work they become adults. Even though the Army are 'in loco partentis' at times and have a duty of care, his basic care needs are being met.

He'll be OK and survive. You'll have him home soon enough, teach him that's ok and you'll have a fabtime and it will work out for you all.

gt568 is right, you wouldn't phone up anywhere else he worked, would you? I really hope you wouldn't!!!
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure