help i'm in bits

icon8.gifHelp Were In Bits Here! this link will help explain better I hope!
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1098729
Well it's parents day tommorow (Saturday). As you may know I cant go but I will be going to the passing out parade at the end of his training.
The problem now is I have sooo been looking forward to my son coming home for the weekend. He was told at the beginning of the week he would be traveling home on Saturday missing the parade because of the distance he has to go and the fact that we live so far.
My 12 years old daughter has cancelled an invite to a birthday party so she can collect her brother from the airport. He was asked by the army if he prefered a 17 hour train journey then 1 hour bus and 3 hours ferry of the palne. Of course he said the plane.
In the middle of this week he ws then told he was travelling home on sunday. Great .We all thought ,
We arranged a family get together, well me my daughter and my older son who lives 6 miles away. My daughter is a mess just now home sick for her brother.
My son has just rang me very upset and angry. The caring army:rotfl: have now booked him to come home on Monday. So he wont be here for the weekend at all.
He was told like all his troop they will be home Saturday to the sunday a week later. Not my son who is deparete to come home. He will be home Monday to Friday. I will be at work and wont get to see him much. My daughter and myself are very upset. I have tried to ring his WELFARE OFFICER and all I get is an answering machine. I ask you where is the support for families.
The excuse he has been given is they cant book flight for Sunday. Guess what I have just checked and yes he could travel Southamoton to Glasgow Then Glasgow to Stornoway on Sunday.
Am I being unreasonable? MY son has been told it has taken 3 people 5 days to book his flight and I could have done it in 10 minutes.
I am now wondering if I have done the right thing letting him go in the army I feel like they are totally useless and not there for my family at all.
I am sorry if I am waffling but I cant get anyone to talk to me from the camp at the moment and I am sat here in tears knowing I have to tell my daughter yet again her brother wont be home as I promised and also knowing my son is at camp very upset too. What can I do?
Am I being silly becuse I miss him or are they just useless? sorry if I offend anyone bit this feels like a disaster and he has only just started his training which he loves.
Any ideas?
wanting to win a wedding :p:p

Comments

• frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sorry that his plans haven't quite happened as expected - it's a shame when hopes are built up then dashed so quickly

the way I would look at it is.....he is coming home (although a bit later than expected) but....he is coming home
  • jennynoo
    jennynoo Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Lou, I couldn't get your link to work. It's too late now but maybe next time when you hear what dates your son is coming home you could email whoever some suggested flight details. Often at work I buy my own flight then claim it back because I always get better (cheaper and more appropriate times) than any booked by our appointed travel agents.
    :heart:Mum to DD born Oct 2009 :heart:
    :j DS born April 2013 :j
    Breastfeeding peer supporter with the breastfeeding network. National breastfeeding helpline 0300 100 0212.
    :question: Ask me if you have any baby feeding questions :question:
  • Thanks frugallass I should be gratefull I know some arn't so lucky it's just this is the 1st time he has been away and I have no family to talk to only my 19 year old son who is a typical stoppy lad and doesnt understand about how we miss his brother. And the army don't seem to want to answer the phone. I am dreading telling my daughter hes not home when she thought he would be. I suppose we have to get used to this. I'm just so mad they cant book flights they are meant to be organising a whole army and they cant organise one lad coming home.
    It is harder than I thought it would be when my son is so far away and upset and I cant do anything or talk to the welfare officer there.
    Maybe i wil feel better in the morning and maybe they
    will answer the phone then

• jennynoo wrote: »
    Lou, I couldn't get your link to work. It's too late now but maybe next time when you hear what dates your son is coming home you could email whoever some suggested flight details. Often at work I buy my own flight then claim it back because I always get better (cheaper and more appropriate times) than any booked by our appointed travel agents.
    I will do this as this has caused us all distress thanks for the tip I will be doing this as I feel they have no ides what is reasonable.

• I have changed the link it should work now.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1098729

• frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks frugallass I should be gratefull I know some arn't so lucky it's just this is the 1st time he has been away and I have no family to talk to only my 19 year old son who is a typical stoppy lad and doesnt understand about how we miss his brother. And the army don't seem to want to answer the phone. I am dreading telling my daughter hes not home when she thought he would be. I suppose we have to get used to this. I'm just so mad they cant book flights they are meant to be organising a whole army and they cant organise one lad coming home.
    It is harder than I thought it would be when my son is so far away and upset and I cant do anything or talk to the welfare officer there.
    Maybe i wil feel better in the morning and maybe they
    will answer the phone then

it sounds like you're really missing him and it's even worse when there is no-one to share your concerns with.....contact the welfare officer on Monday and explain how disappointed you are, but not only that, how you are finding it difficult with him being away. I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction of some form of support from them or from other families.

I'm not saying that your concerns aren't important but there are a lot of more pressing cases out there and your situation is probably not a priority concern for them at the moment.
  • frugallass wrote: »
    it sounds like you're really missing him and it's even worse when there is no-one to share your concerns with.....contact the welfare officer on Monday and explain how disappointed you are, but not only that, how you are finding it difficult with him being away. I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction of some form of support from them or from other families.

I'm not saying that your concerns aren't important but there are a lot of more pressing cases out there and your situation is probably not a priority concern for them at the moment.

Thankyou so much. i will contact the welfare officer if he ever answers his phone. I will email him and get him to ring me maybe thay will get his attention quicker.
    Sometimes it just takes someone else to point out the obvious. I AM LUCKY HE IS COMING HOME. SOME ARE NOT SO LUCKY.
    He is just my little boy (well man i suppose) only 16 years old and the rock to my daughter. She worships the ground he walks on, bless her.
    Well I ll go to bed now and see if I feel less emotional in the morning thanks for listening to my waffling and for the tip about emailing the suggestions for flights for next time.:beer:

I'm sure I'll laugh about this in years to come.

• frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    aw I really feel for you - there are some good support networks out there, but it's not always that easy to find them ! He'll be home soon x
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    you need to point out to them that he is a minor and they have a duty of care.....he CANNOT be left alone in camp!!! FACT ok.......remember i was based there....i can even get you phone numbers of more important people....PM me if you need them ok
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Good luck little lou pink he ll be home soon .
    I can t imagine how worried you must be.Just be sure in the knowledge that he s safe and will return to you. We as a country never seem to manage the easy things like book flights .Just enjoy him while hes home.
    PP x
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family