Savings Account in Euro, in a European bank?

Options
It seems pretty inevitable that the Conservatives will win on Thursday, and Brexit will happen at the end of January.

With this in mind, what are the options for protecting my savings in the event that Brexit goes badly wrong? Can I open a Euro saving account, with a European based bank, while still resident in the UK?

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Can I open a Euro saving account, with a European based bank, while still resident in the UK?

Why not open it with a UK based bank?
  • i8payingbills
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

Doesn't seem very clever if things go badly wrong, surely?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think things could go so badly wrong people won't be able to access their money in UK bank accounts, but supposing for sake of argument they do go that badly wrong, how do you intend on accessing your money in your EU domiciled bank account?

The only sensible move is to flee the UK on Friday if things go as you predict.
  • i8payingbills
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    I don't think things could go so badly wrong people won't be able to access their money in UK bank accounts, but supposing for sake of argument they do go that badly wrong, how do you intend on accessing your money in your EU domiciled bank account?

The only sensible move is to flee the UK on Friday if things go as you predict.

I'm more concerned that a) savings in sterling will lose value if the UK goes into a protracted recession, and b) the institution that holds the savings fails and the UK government make it difficult to claim (or don't have the ability to honour) the protection guarantee.

I'm not a disaster junky, just want to know my options.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm more concerned that a) savings in sterling will lose value if the UK goes into a protracted recession, and b) the institution that holds the savings fails and the UK government make it difficult to claim (or don't have the ability to honour) the protection guarantee.

I'm not a disaster junky, just want to know my options.
    One option (which is the one I favour) is to limit the amount you hold in cash to the usual 3-6 months living expenses and invest the rest in international S&S / bonds. There has already been a significant loss in the value of sterling over the past decade and holding foreign investments has worked well so far. Obviously investments need to be for the long term.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 8 December 2019 at 4:56PM
    Options
    , what are the options for protecting my savings in the event that Brexit goes badly wrong? Can I open a Euro saving account, with a European based bank, while still resident in the UK?
    I assumed you were saying that you wanted to 'protect' your savings by putting them in a foreign currency so that when your assumption that Brexit would go wrong came true, and the pound crashed in value compared to other currencies, you would have preserved the value of your spending power.

If what you mean by Brexit going badly wrong is not merely that we fail to get decent trade agreements while the country goes into recession and the pound loses its purchasing power; but also that all the banks close down, there's civil war on the streets and so on, then you are perhaps right that having Euros in the UK won't 'feel very clever'. You should have put them overseas, safe from the government / safe from the anarchist uprising.

However, how will you get to your Euros that you tucked away in a foreign bank overseas, when Brexit has gone so badly wrong that the restrictions on freedom of movement prevent you crossing the Channel and entering the Eurozone country of your choice? Masonic is right that you should probably pack your bags and get out now, to be on the safe side.

Or, perhaps you need to be serious about what might 'go badly wrong' and how the UK and European financial system might cope and what rights you might practically lose over your bank accounts. Presumably if the UK is looking to restore its credibility after a badly- implemented Brexit, it won't start by confiscating assets, removing depositary protection on UK bank accounts etc, as that would destroy faith in the UK financial system and people would pull cash out of their accounts and store it under their mattresses; a sound financial system, regulatory environment and rule of law are a few things that the country actually has going for it.
  • i8payingbills
    Options
    I assumed you were saying that you wanted to 'protect' your savings by putting them in a foreign currency so that when your assumption that Brexit would go wrong came true, and the pound crashed in value compared to other currencies, you would have preserved the value of your spending power.

Yes, this is my principal concern.

If what you mean by Brexit going badly wrong is not merely that we fail to get decent trade agreements while the country goes into recession and the pound loses its purchasing power; but also that all the banks close down, there's civil war on the streets and so on, then you are perhaps right that having Euros in the UK won't 'feel very clever'. You should have put them overseas, safe from the government / safe from the anarchist uprising.

My concern is a Northern Rock type scenario, where just through bad luck it's the particular institution I've gone with that goes under, and then the government go down the line of saying it'll be x number of months before I see my money again. We're dealing with a government who lie about basic points of fact.

However, how will you get to your Euros that you tucked away in a foreign bank overseas, when Brexit has gone so badly wrong that the restrictions on freedom of movement prevent you crossing the Channel and entering the Eurozone country of your choice? Masonic is right that you should probably pack your bags and get out now, to be on the safe side.

I do not anticipate that type of scenario playing out.

Or, perhaps you need to be serious about what might 'go badly wrong' and how the UK and European financial system might cope and what rights you might practically lose over your bank accounts. Presumably if the UK is looking to restore its credibility after a badly- implemented Brexit, it won't start by confiscating assets, removing depositary protection on UK bank accounts etc, as that would destroy faith in the UK financial system and people would pull cash out of their accounts and store it under their mattresses; a sound financial system, regulatory environment and rule of law are a few things that the country actually has going for it.

This depends on what are motivation behind those driving Brexit. I don't want to go down that route, best to keep in the realms of possibility - if it truly bad, there's probably nothing we can do!!!!

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do realise that many ordinary euro deposit accounts now pay negative rates of interest. The Eurozone has troubles of its own. Eurozone banks likewise haven’t all fully addressed the problems of the past.
  • skid112
    skid112 Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2019 at 7:35AM
    Options
    So in Spain, for example, you have a choice of accounts paying from 0.05 to 1.5% for fixed terms. Ranging from one month notice to ten years, ten years being at 1.5%.
    For more European examples see here, https://thebanks.eu/compare-banking-products/savings-accounts. There used to be more but as Thrugelmir points out some now charge negative interest though over certain amounts

Most you will see are pretty similar, low interest rates and long term being 10 years or more to get 1.5%. Also you will have to get registered in the country of your choice for tax purposes, Spain for example an NIE is required and you will have to pay non residents tax.

Also, savers within the Eurozone have had their own Northern Rock moment, Cyprus where savers took a 10% levy on savings in 2013, Greece, bond holders were forced to accept a 53.5% loss on their holdings in 2012, followed by cuts to both pensions and public services.

As a point, no one who had a mortgage or savings with Northern Rock lost any money, this was borne by the shareholders, the bondholders and the UK Government of the time.
    Save 12k in 2020 #19 £12,429.06/£14,000
  • fonesaver
    fonesaver Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2019 at 10:17AM
    Options
    Have you considered Bunq the Dutch Online bank? You do not need to be resident in The Netherlands to open an account via their app.
    Interest rate is currently 0.27% no minimum balance
    Monthly fee is €7.99 (first month free)
    You get a Mastercard and Maestro card included.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure