Mortgage query

2»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JK33 wrote: »
    Of course that money has gone to the lender
    No, it never went to the lender. It was sitting in your mortgage account all along. All they've done is move it from your mortgage account to your current account.
    they are making money on my mortgage every day
    If anything they've probably been making less money because they haven't charged you interest on the £182.50
    I was blissfully unaware of this mistake until they told me
    Yes, and if they hadn't bothered telling you, all that would have happened would be that at the end of the mortgage you'd have £182.50 less to repay.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    If the bank has made a mistake why can’t they compensate me for £182.50 instead of adding that same amount to my mortgage account? I don’t think anyone is seeing it the way I see it. Of course that money has gone to the lender, they are making money on my mortgage every day. They have given me back money I have overpaid through THEIR mistake, not mine, I was blissfully unaware of this mistake until they told me. Yet they’ve added that amount to my outstanding mortgage account, so I still pay for their mistake. It is totally wrong and they should pay the £182.50, not add it to my outstanding balance. These fat cat bankers have got away with wrong doing for far too long. So in my case they never lose at all, yet I will/do.

THEY made a mistake. They told you about it and asked you if you would like the money back or to leave it where it is. Have you never made a mistake before?

Going off your reasoning if they had not spotted the mistake for 20 years and you had overpaid by £10k they should then pay you £10,000 compensation by leaving your account as it is and refunding it?

Nobody is seeing it your way because you are saying you want your cake (smaller mortgage balance) and to eat it (money refunded to your bank account).

It is pretty clear you just want free money for what was a £200 mistake over a few months/years. It has not caused you any harm and you were actually benefiting from their mistake. I think this thread could turn into one of those where we all disagree and you still think you are in the right - so before I waste any more time, I will bow out.

Good luck. Make a complaint, you might get £25-50 as a goodwill gesture but I cant see how they will give you £180 for putting right what is a relatively small mistake in the grand scheme of things.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • JK33
    JK33 Posts: 7 Forumite
    As it was THEIR mistake by their own admission, they should give me back my overpayment which they have done but not charge it to my outstanding mortgage account because it was THEIR mistake. To resolve this, they should not add it on to my outstanding amount because I’m paying for THEIR mistake. They’ve added £182.50 on to my outstanding balance in the blink of an eye yet when I complete a mortgage application my credit is checked, my finances are under scrutiny but when they’ve made a mistake they can just add £182.50 to my outstanding amount. No jumping through hoops then is there to be approved for lending?
  • JK33
    JK33 Posts: 7 Forumite
    And before you all quickly reply with a view I’m thick and I don’t understand or I’m looking at it in the wrong way, I can assure you I’m not. Intellectually I have a PHd and i work in the financial sector. And yes of course I want the banks to lend me money but when they do, they sit pretty earning loads of money from me borrowing from them so £182.50 to them is a drop in the ocean. I firmly believe we shouldn’t just roll over, we should fight for what we believe in when we know something is wrong
  • FtbDreaming
    FtbDreaming Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So they offered for you to leave it on the account or have it back. You chose to have the money back. You cant expect them to leave it on the account too. Then you'd be £182.50 better off than the start.

Youve had a little bit of spare money back before xmas that you wasnt expecting. Your mortgage balance is what it would have been had you never paid the £182.50. Just chill out theres bigger things in life to worry about.
    Mortgage started August 2020 £69,700
    Mortgage ends Aug 2050 MFW: Aug 2027 
    Current Balance: £60,200 (59.9% LTV)
    MFW2020 #156 £723.13
    MFW2021 #26 £1184.71
    MFW2022 #11 £197.87
    MFW2023 £785
    MFW 2024 £528.15

Determined to make it! 
  • gozaimasu
    gozaimasu Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Make a complaint, asking for £182.50 in your bank account plus £182.50 taken back off the mortgage balance. Accept £25-£50 compensation when they offer it.

Not sure why you've come on here first instead of complaining to them directly.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have an online business and if I overcharge a customer I ‘take the hit’ of how much I have overcharged them
    So if a customer paid you £182.50 too much, you'd refund the £182.50 - and then pay them another £182.50 on top of that? Really?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    No hoops to jump through because they are not lending you more money. You overpaid, they gave you the over payment back. As already mentioned, you are in the exact same situation you would have been had the mistake not happened. Let that sink in.

I am not going to sit here and call you thick, I would like to think we are all adults here. But you are not paying for their mistake. Nobody is paying for their mistake - does somebody have to pay for it?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 9 December 2019 at 6:16AM
    ACG wrote: »
    No hoops to jump through because they are not lending you more money. You overpaid, they gave you the over payment back. As already mentioned, you are in the exact same situation you would have been had the mistake not happened. Let that sink in.

I am not going to sit here and call you thick, I would like to think we are all adults here. But you are not paying for their mistake. Nobody is paying for their mistake - does somebody have to pay for it?

They are actually in a better situation because they were charged less interest while those overpayments sat in the account.

They did lose any interest they may have had on the money in their own savings account.

What is surprising for someone who claims to be financially competent they did not check the amounts involved..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure