PayPal problem

Looking for advice. I sold an item on eBay for £320, the buyer paid by PayPal, BUT PayPal took £570 from his account in error. I would have expected PayPal to refund his £250 overpayment, and release the £320 to me. Instead, they have emailed me to say they have 'parked' the £570 and won't to release it until I send them £250!

It all seems very odd - it's their mistake, and the dispute is surely between PayPal and the buyer and shouldn't involve me at all.

Is this legal? Should I send them the £250?

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Absolutely don't send anyone money - sounds too like a potential scam and not paypay at all.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I never rely on PayPal emails etc. I ALWAYS check my Paypal account direct.
    What is showing in your actual account?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2019 at 4:13PM
    mamamia11 wrote: »
    Looking for advice. I sold an item on eBay for £320, the buyer paid by PayPal, BUT PayPal took £570 from his account in error. I would have expected PayPal to refund his £250 overpayment, and release the £320 to me. Instead, they have emailed me to say they have 'parked' the £570 and won't to release it until I send them £250!

It all seems very odd - it's their mistake, and the dispute is surely between PayPal and the buyer and shouldn't involve me at all.

As per Moonpenny, this sounds like the common PayPal scam designed to catch out newbies. Check your PayPal account but log in through a clean log in , never links. There is no way PayPal will be expecting you to send money back and the idea that they have taken too much by accident is frankly ridiculous.

Also, and this is going to make me sound like I'm lecturing, but rather that than allow these scumbag scammers get another victim, if you are so unfamiliar with protecting yourself online I worry about you selling high end items. If you end up relisting this , which I suspect you will after seeing off the scammer, have you read any of the sticky threads about postage, seller protection, buyers wanting to collect etc?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mamamia11 wrote: »

Paypal don't take money, the user logs in and sends money. Paypal also don't "park" money and certainly wouldn't ask you to refund an overpayment.

It sounds very much like you have fallen for a scam PayPal email purporting to give payment info. I would suggest you log into your PayPal and establish what if any monies you have in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure