MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?

Any thoughts?

EU citizens will be welcome to visit, to live/work and enjoy the country.

You won't be turfed out of your house. It will still be yours to live in, enjoy, sell, extend or paint purple if you wish.

When moving to any country you have to do the "what if" for all eventualities that might occur there that you disagree with. So what was your Plan B if the eurozone broke up?

Not Martin's concern. He doesn't even own this website. He sold it for millions a couple of years back and just gets paid handsomely to have his face on the page.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You won't be turfed out of your house. It will still be yours to live in, enjoy, sell, extend or paint purple if you wish.
    That nice Mr Farage might even volunteer to come round and do that for you....
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    .. and for those of us who can't watch video at home (slow BB and no speakers).
    If you follow the link, it is mostly all written out below the video anyway.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?

Any thoughts?
    You are not living in some tinpot country, we struggle to turf out terrorist, I don't see you have much to worry about. Its not about chucking people out, its about having some control.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    boatman wrote: »
    You are not living in some tinpot country, we struggle to turf out terrorist, I don't see you have much to worry about. Its not about chucking people out, its about having some control.
    If it's so simple, why has nobody officially clarified yet precisely what applies?
    And what would apply to the UK citizens living and working in other EU nations?

Perhaps it is actually rather complex to solve.
  • Eric_Disley
    Eric_Disley Posts: 255 Forumite
    Although pretty much everything is uncertain at the moment, there was a clear impression during the campaign that EU citizens already living in the UK would have indefinite right to stay. Even Farage said as much.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Although pretty much everything is uncertain at the moment, there was a clear impression during the campaign that EU citizens already living in the UK would have indefinite right to stay. Even Farage said as much.

I don't think anyone has an issue with that as long as they are working and not claiming any benefits.
  • Eric_Disley
    Eric_Disley Posts: 255 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I know it's a big concern to you but to the vast majority of the UK population it's a side issue that won't be given any priority and will eventually be dealt with at some point in the exit negotiations. No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.

People who have friends, neighbours and colleagues from other countries do care what happens to them. Caring is something that humans do.
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    If you are concerned about your status here or your British friends status abroad, read up the Vienna convention.
    Your residency rights should not be affected by a change in a country's status after your immigration here
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I know it's a big concern to you but to the vast majority of the UK population it's a side issue that won't be given any priority and will eventually be dealt with at some point in the exit negotiations. No help to you, and you'll be living with uncertainty for quite a while, but the rest of us have more pressing concerns to worry about.
    I'm British, born and bred, and it is a major concern to me. Why? Well my doctor and dentist are both immigrants, as are most of the nurses and auxiliary staff at my local hospital. And all the staff at my two favourite coffee shops, and the owner of my favourite cafe. Not to mention the drivers of the buses I use for my commute and a number of my friends.

Oh, and most importantly there is the thing that you seem to lack, but I have managed to retain a grip on: The notion that it isn't all "me, me, me - to hell with the rest of you, I'm all right". I still manage to maintain empathy for fellow human beings who find themselves in a difficult, potentially life changing position through no fault of their own, empathy that you have lost, or more probably, never had, in the first place.

Your post is an insight into how Britain will look over the coming months and years, I hope you reap what you sow.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure