MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down?

Comments

• RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, in light of Martin's update to the original question - I shall try to bypass the moral aspect of this.

There are (fortunately) plenty of welfare sanctuaries - for different types of animals - in this country who would take the beasts in question or who may be able to offer grants to help with vets' fees. And there is also the PDSA or Blue Cross for those in financial need.

I am a meat eater and am not a fluffy-bunny-hugger. However, dogs, cats, horses - probably goats (I'm not sure, so I can't say for certain) are SENTIENT beings - they can look at a situation and consider various factors before making an independent decision as to what action they are going to take. Not all species can do this. For such sentient animals, I don't believe that they have less of a right to a full life than humans.

If it is essential that Anne must get rid of the animals, and she really cannot find any shelter willing to help her (which I doubt, considering the shelters up and down the country), then she would need to think about whether she can live with herself. It rather sounds like she's in such a financial pickle that she'd lose her home with or without the animals. I was in a slightly similar situation with crippling vet bills a few years ago. I sold all I could (my Dr. Who video collection netted me a few hundred quid :() to pay the bills until I got a new job. I couldn't have put a happy, vibrant dog to death and faced my conscience. She did pass away some years afterwards - but at least I could sleep at night...

I don't think there's a definitive answer to this MMD - it's down to the individual's conscience.

Personally, I would rather be destitute and hungry WITH my dog (which I have been for most of the last year... I'm now in my eleventh "one meal per day" month), than able to financially get by WITHOUT him. He brings joy and companionship and is the one good thing I have at the moment. But I do know that some people find this position ludicrous, and that's not necessarily wrong; just their viewpoint.

So - if I was Anne; no, I wouldn't put them to sleep. That's my conscience though, which is more important to me than money. Not necessarily wise - but the right answer for me, personally.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Enchantica wrote: »
    Sigh.

I was going to just leave it and quit repeating myself but why should I? This thread isn't getting deleted so why bother.

I shall repeat: if you can choose to kill a healthy animal instead of giving it to a shelter, take a look at yourself in the mirror and decide if you like what you have become.

:wall: You just cannot get past the point that other people have different opinions to you and in this case there is no right or wrong as both options are valid and legal.

Can I also suggest you re-read the original dilema on page 1.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well, in light of Martin's update to the original question - I shall try to bypass the moral aspect of this.

There are (fortunately) plenty of welfare sanctuaries - for different types of animals - in this country who would take the beasts in question or who may be able to offer grants to help with vets' fees. And there is also the PDSA or Blue Cross for those in financial need.

I am a meat eater and am not a fluffy-bunny-hugger. However, dogs, cats, horses - probably goats (I'm not sure, so I can't say for certain) are SENTIENT beings - they can look at a situation and consider various factors before making an independent decision as to what action they are going to take. Not all species can do this. For such sentient animals, I don't believe that they have less of a right to a full life than humans.

If it is essential that Anne must get rid of the animals, and she really cannot find any shelter willing to help her (which I doubt, considering the shelters up and down the country), then she would need to think about whether she can live with herself. It rather sounds like she's in such a financial pickle that she'd lose her home with or without the animals. I was in a slightly similar situation with crippling vet bills a few years ago. I sold all I could (my Dr. Who video collection netted me a few hundred quid :() to pay the bills until I got a new job. I couldn't have put a happy, vibrant dog to death and faced my conscience. She did pass away some years afterwards - but at least I could sleep at night...

I don't think there's a definitive answer to this MMD - it's down to the individual's conscience.

Personally, I would rather be destitute and hungry WITH my dog (which I have been for most of the last year... I'm now in my eleventh "one meal per day" month), than able to financially get by WITHOUT him. He brings joy and companionship and is the one good thing I have at the moment. But I do know that some people find this position ludicrous, and that's not necessarily wrong; just their viewpoint.

So - if I was Anne; no, I wouldn't put them to sleep. That's my conscience though, which is more important to me than money. Not necessarily wise - but the right answer for me, personally.

You say you will try to bypass the moral aspect of this debate, then base your whole argument on people's consciences. I am not quite sure how the logic of this works?

"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I have to say the OP now comes over as more reasonable and less provocative.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • patootie_2
    patootie_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Good grief .. what a question to ask .. of course you don't put innocent animals down .. and a good vet wouldn't do it either .. there are loads of charities that will take animals and rehome them or keep them .. I'm amazed you even thought to ask such a question .. !!
  • What a ridiculous situation to be in. Knowing how stupid people people can be about animals in this country I am sure that if her plight were to be advertised somebody would take them off her hands, if not one of the animal charities especially as there is a danger now of them not being looked after properly.
  • pippitypip_2
    pippitypip_2 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    :wall: You just cannot get past the point that other people have different opinions to you and in this case there is no right or wrong as both options are valid and legal.

In which case, if you take your own advice, that people are entitled to their own opinions, isn't Enchantica entitled to the opinion that it's wrong to put an animal down in this scenario? :D

I agree with Martin that this is certainly a worthwhile discussion to highlight the options to people in dire financial straits who have pets, but I also agree it should have been worded better, "to kill or not to kill" (paraphrasing "Should Anne put the animals down") isn't a helpful debate at all and preys on people's sensitivites. imho, it's almost inevitable that at some point this thread will need to be closed because of offence caused.

pippitypip
    I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok - they know me here! :D
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I know people have different opinions. But there is a right and wrong here. Is it wrong to kill a healthy animal? Yes. Is it right to give it to a shelter, RATHER than kill it? Yes. I am unsure what you don't understand.
  • brewski_2
    brewski_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    no she should absolutely not put the animals down. she should contact every animal sanctuary or rehoming place there is, even if this takes ages. The animals are not to blame for her losing her job.
  • awehla wrote: »
    Can't she give them to the RSPCA? There has to be another way other than having them euthanized.

You are sadly disillusioned if you think that the RSPCA wont euthanise them! They have a reputation for putting down animals for no reason other than they are difficult to deal with - animals that have lost their owners are often difficult; they need time to adjust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure