Para's and bl**dy sunday

Options
Just in case anyone wants to here is a link to a petition to give soldiers who served in Northern Ireland amnesty.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/243947:

Sorry if it's been posted already

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just in case anyone wants to here is a link to a petition to give soldiers who served in Northern Ireland amnesty.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/243947:

Sorry if it's been posted already

Personally I believe in Law and Order: someone who commits a very serious crime when in uniform should never benefit from an amnesty.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fair enough - but the Good Friday agreement does not agree with you. What becomes law for one should be law for all.

They wish to penalise those who obeyed their senior officers whilst those who shot people & blew up people & buildings for their own purposes (& in many cases profit) get off!
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    badmemory wrote:
    They wish to penalise those who obeyed their senior officers......
    Now when did we hear that lame defence last.
    If orders were issued by senior officers, then those officers should also be prosecuted..._
  • badmemory
    Options
    I notice you miss off the second part of the sentence. Letting the IRA etc off is not Law & Order. That is what I object to. One law for the army & another for the IRA etc & let the terrorists off.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The same Paras that shot people in the back as they ran away.
  • badmemory
    Options
    Just to add - I would normally be on the side of the "did the army do right, we should really check this out" but you can't let one side off completely as they did with the Irish terrorists & then try to hold the army to account like they are trying to do now. One law for one & another for another!

If they are going to take soldiers to court then they should withdraw the agreement that stopped the IRA & others from being charged. Oh whoops would that mean that NI gov would have a problem? Oh maybe not because that has been a problem for some time. Time for someone to get their backsides in gear.

NI do not want Brexit but can't get their a***s in gear enough to do anything about it. If they are lucky they may be rescued by the SNP, wish they could rescue the rest of us!
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    Now when did we hear that lame defence last.
    If orders were issued by senior officers, then those officers should also be prosecuted..._
    Are you referring to the Nuremberg Defence?
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tallaght wrote: »
    The same Paras that shot people in the back as they ran away.

Meanwhile, the scum that kneecapped my friend, stripped him naked and executed him with a shot to the back of the head and then dumped his corpse in waste ground get immunity

Yeah, that's fair
  • badmemory
    Options
    A lot of nasty things happened in Northern Ireland some years ago. We need to make a decision whether to draw a line under ALL of it or allow it to continue. If I remember rightly the army first went in to protect the catholics (many of whom were not allowed to vote as they weren't home owners). Then politics got in the way as it always tends to do. Then the proverbial hit the fan. And I suspect Brexit is going to make that fan rather busy!
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    The army were there to help. In the meantime the ones that thought it was fun to kill civilians in bomb blasts like Eniskillen and aim at military parades such as Hyde Park and Regents Park are hailed as heros by people such as Corbyn.

The terrorists should be punished, the army praised.

In 1973 NI had their border poll and a massive majority of those that voted wanted to remain in the UK. Unfortunately those that disagreed had bombs etc. They were, and still are, trying to force the majority to do as the minority want. Sound familiar?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport