Attendance allowance is it correct?

Options
My 89 dad has recently completed the forms for attendance allowance, without me seeing it. He said he replied no to most of the questions to do with the help that he needs but he did give them a detailed account of his medical history which includes cancer, diabetes and heart condition. He has been awarded the lower limit of attendance allowance but as he has never claimed anything in his life is amazed that he has got it. He wants to know if they might have made a mistake. I have told him that although he can wash, dress, feed himself etc he is dependent on his car for getting around and for his numerous hospital appointments and although he can walk ok he is very slow.

I don't know what to advise him apart from keep the money. Are there cases of mistakes where they ask for it back? He is so unused to receiving any kind of benefits.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the basis of what you’ve said it’s surprising because mobility isn’t really taken into account. An award would be based on needing frequent help with personal care. However provided everything he has told them is truthful it’s their decision.

How long is the award for?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure how long it's for. I didn't know there was a limit. It was back dated to June. He has been very honest. He does live with my mother and they are quite dependent on each other. Really I would just be interested to know one what basis it has been awarded.

Should he question it? :)
  • calcotti
    edited 14 October 2019 at 3:29PM
    Options
    ceewash wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long it's for. I didn't know there was a limit. It was back dated to June. He has been very honest. He does live with my mother and they are quite dependent on each other. Really I would just be interested to know one what basis it has been awarded.

Should he question it? :)

I wouldn’t. They have based a decision on what he has told them. If that was truthful there is no reason to question the decision. If he is going to challenge a decision to make an award on the grounds that he doesn’t think he’s entitled there doesn’t seem much point in applying in the first place.

Obviously I know nothing of his health conditions but needing care can simply be needing someone around most of the time in case he falls or needs help.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Do you parents get Pension Credit? If so your mother should apply for Carer’s Allowance. If she gets a State Pension she will not be paid Carer’s Allowance but can establish an ’underlying entitlement’ which can be reported to Pension Credit and will increase the amount payable.
  • ceewash
    Options
    No my mother doesn't get pension credit. I think she might be entitled to attendance allowance as well but is very resistance. They do have a bit of savings so have not been eligible for means tested benefits.
  • ceewash
    Options
    Thank you. I'll have a read.
  • calcotti
    Options
    ceewash wrote: »
    No my mother doesn't get pension credit. I think she might be entitled to attendance allowance as well but is very resistance. They do have a bit of savings so have not been eligible for means tested benefits.
    Having savings does not necessarily exclude them from Pension Credit. Could do a benefits check using one of these calculators https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
  • Skibunny40
    Skibunny40 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 October 2019 at 8:14PM
    Options
    Attendance Allowance is paid for 3 years ( from the backdated date), then he'll need to reapply. Lower rate means he's not classed as needing help during the night, just when he's up and about.

You can download the form online if your Dad hasn't kept a copy so maybe that would help you work out where he's likely to have qualified.
  • calcotti
    Options
    :money:
    Skibunny40 wrote: »
    Attendance Allowance is paid for 3 years ( from the backdated date), then he'll need to reapply..
    Not always. Both longer and shorter awards are possible as is an indefinite award which means that there is no set date for a review.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure