Split Ticketing: Report successful routes here

Comments

• Rail never ceases to amaze me -have now become a real travel bore! You will find that sometimes Euston to Lancaster though one stop further is cheaper than Euston to Preston! Example: single euston Preston £31.50 Euston-Lancaster £25.00!?

I discovered this while travelling home to Poulton-le-fylde (PLF). Also ALWAYS book to Lancaster because the rules give you more chance of travelling at a peak time - something to do with "Lancaster or north of lancaster" being break point for pricing. Whilst PLF is further timewise, because of changing preston it is generally more expensive than Lancaster. So either travel to Lancaster and arrange some other way home or then buy single from Preston to PLF/Blackpool

A Virgin jobsworth said to me at Euston "well if you buy a ticket to Lancaster you'll have to get off at Lancaster" - yeah right!!

Also worth considering going via Manchester Piccadilly. If you time it right and get an advance you can get London Manchester for as little as £8 or £12 single and then if you time right from Piccadilly you can get an advance Transpennine single for £6!! Total £14 london to PLF - can't beat that - adds a bit to your journey time but Manchester much nicer sation to change than Preston and nicer if you have to wait. :)

See my Birmingham PLF post too :)
  • Yes advance purchasing by far best option but split ticketing though stil useful if diminishing in importance. Example: Birmingham - Poulton -le-fylde quoted standard £37.50 But Birmingham-Preston £29.50 and Preston -PLF ££5.60 TOTAL £35.10 saving a couple of quid. However even better birmingham-wigan £19.50, Wigan-PLF £8.00 (bomnus being this is an anytime ticket) Total £27.50 saving a tenner!!

Did this for me mum on a long haul back from Cambridge.

Even better if she could have made a 5min connection was going via Manchester Piccadilly. Birmingham- Manchester: £10, £11, or £14 advance with cross country followed by the £6 ticket I mentioned on the euston post with Transpennine from Piccadilly - Total £20 saving hamost half on original quoted price (though going via Manchester does take a little longer).
  • Or if you need to get London- 'anywhere near Manchester' consider flying! Single £33 with BMI baby to Heathrow or BA Heathrow or Gatwick £35.

Obviously have to book well in advance for these. I also find that fast Virgin trains now make flying not a first choice with all the checking in and travel to/from airports but sometimes worth a punt.
  • ian1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've had a look on the virgin site for Preston to Euston (13/08 rtn 17/08). If I've done this right, I can get a 2 1st class tickets for £194. Trying the split ticket route (via Wigan, Crewe or Warrington) it comes out at 216 for the same trains.

does anyone know of any cheaper deals on this route?

Thanks,
    Ian
    Yeah consider going via Manchester - see my Euston Poulton-le-fylde and Birmingham PLF post :)
  • alanrowell wrote: »
    It's against the T&Cs of your ticket so you will have to pay the full one way fare if caught. The chances of this are increasing as more stations are installing ticket barriers
    whilst true sometimes going to the next stop, arranging alternative transport from there (if it's not too far of course!) or even a single back will help!! I regularly buy London to lancaster tickets and get off at Preston and then another at Preston rather than London to blackpool because invariably cheaper and less restrictions on time of travel :) And no need to go through any barriers at Preston since simply a platform change. Sometimes inspectors but not usually a problem.
  • Booking a return journey from Beeston to New Beckenham (1st class) Friday returning Monday - full quoted fare : £400

Separate journeys:
    Beeston - St Pancras (1st class) : £33
    St Pancras - New Beckenham (Standard) : £7.40
    New Beckenham - St Pancras (Standard) : £3.40
    St Pancras - Beeston (1st Class) : £18
    Total : £61.80

TOTAL SPLIT SAVING : 338.20 !!!
    Unreal. Thanks to the site for the advice
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2009 at 4:03PM
    Thetroll wrote: »
    Booking a return journey from Beeston to New Beckenham (1st class) Friday returning Monday - full quoted fare : £400

Separate journeys:
    Beeston - St Pancras (1st class) : £33
    St Pancras - Beeston (1st Class) : £18
    Total : £61.80

TOTAL SPLIT SAVING : 338.20 !!!
    Unreal. Thanks to the site for the advice
    What??
    For a start, the most you can possibly pay by buying two First Class Anytime Singles is £238.00.

Oh... just noticed your username.:rolleyes:
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thetroll wrote: »

mmm why the difference Mr Troll?
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    steve100 wrote: »
    whilst true sometimes going to the next stop, arranging alternative transport from there (if it's not too far of course!) or even a single back will help!! I regularly buy London to lancaster tickets and get off at Preston and then another at Preston rather than London to blackpool because invariably cheaper and less restrictions on time of travel :) And no need to go through any barriers at Preston since simply a platform change. Sometimes inspectors but not usually a problem.

No-o-o...shh...shh...

What you're doing isn't allowed. However all VT staff know that savvy folk do it and it's nigh on impossible to prove. They turn a blind eye because it's not common knowledge so it doesn't matter while only a few flout the rules. If everyone starts doing it they'll stop the "easements" to Lancaster & beyond....
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • Want to go from Leeds to Birmingham Airport. Chespest single one way is £42.00

Split at Wakefield, Chesterfield and Derby and got it for £27.55 - the £14.45 price difference will be well spent on holiday!

Postage is free on Cross Country Trains as opposed to the Trainline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure