Train - Season ticket

Options
Hi, I bought a season ticket (monthly last month) and it expired today.

If I buy a new one tomm, it will be valid till 29th Oct I think, but if I buy it a day after tomm it will be valid till 31st Oct.. is that right the I'll get extra day?

I can WFH tomm so can wait.

Thanks

Comments

• stragglebod
    Options
    Why would you think that? They last a calendar month.

You can buy for any specific lenght of time over a month and the price will be calculated pro-rata from the monthly rate.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    I don't know if it's the same for all train operators, but certainly on the one I use a monthly ticket is valid for a calendar month - so, as you say, you get an extra day if there's 31 days in the month compared to 30.

Something you may not be aware of - you can buy a "monthly" season ticket for any period greater than 1 month. If you work Monday - Friday this can save you a little bit over the course of a month. For instance, say you buy a monthly ticket on Monday 14th October - this would expire on Wednesday 13th November. But you can buy a ticket valid from 14th October to Friday 15th November - 1 month and 2 days. Whereas if you just bought exact monthly tickets, you'd need to buy another ticket on Thursday 14th November, and you're paying for the weekend of 16/17 November that you're not using.

It's not a huge saving, and only makes a difference if you work Monday - Friday, but by doing this you can minimise the number of unused weekend days that you pay for.
  • hukd.deals
    Options
    Something you may not be aware of - you can buy a "monthly" season ticket for any period greater than 1 month. If you work Monday - Friday this can save you a little bit over the course of a month. For instance, say you buy a monthly ticket on Monday 14th October - this would expire on Wednesday 13th November. But you can buy a ticket valid from 14th October to Friday 15th November - 1 month and 2 days. Whereas if you just bought exact monthly tickets, you'd need to buy another ticket on Thursday 14th November, and you're paying for the weekend of 16/17 November that you're not using.

Wow.. after spending thousands for 4 years...

So I assume while buiyng I can ask them that I need 'a season ticket for a month and 3 days?"

Anyways thanks for this .. much appreciated.

Thanks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And extrapolate that argument to allow for holidays.

Plan ahead and buy a five or six week ticket (or whatever period) to expire on the day before you take holiday - buying your next ticket to start on your first day back at work.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    hukd.deals wrote: »
    Wow.. after spending thousands for 4 years...

So I assume while buiyng I can ask them that I need 'a season ticket for a month and 3 days?"

Anyways thanks for this .. much appreciated.

Thanks

Yep. I usually just go to the ticket kiosk and say "Please can I have a season ticket to run until 19th November" or whatever. Like I say, you're not going to save a fortune, but even if it means a couple of "wasted" weekend days that you can save paying for, it's worth it - especially if you're talking an average of a tenner a day (like mine), every month for years :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure