Where can a get a bank draft in Hong Kong Dollars?

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To clarify, I'm asking about bank drafts not visas. I happen to be planning to spend the draft on a visa. I could have an Iraqi passport and be planning to spend it in novelty socks. The answer would be the same

In which case you have your answer: that is not something that is available in the UK.

Other posters were helpful and went beyond the question posed to advise on how you could travel without this visa, or obtain it without needing the draft. Your evasive replies really suggest that you don't understand what you are doing, so either you are wasting everyone's time for your own amusement or if you are for real you ought not to go within a thousand miles of Hong Kong because you would not survive.
  • I haven't made any evasive replies. The problem is that i've been too open and ended up distracting everyone with the irrelevant detail that I happen to be spending the draft on a visa.
    It is possible, thousands of people get one every year!
    I'm surprised that you're questioning whether i'm lying. Why would I tell such an inane fib and why would you care if I did? If a stranger on the internet lied to me about where he holidayed I genuinely would not get triggered. It's just such a prosaic thing that can't possibly impact me anyway.
  • I've only asked about bank drafts. It sounds like you're just being silly for the fun of it now, we've never met. Stop being a numpty!
  • I've only asked about bank drafts. !

You've been given all of the advice that you are going to get. Enjoy Hong Kong.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    How about going to HK as a tourist then taking the boat to Macao and applying in person there for a working visa? I know someone who had to do exactly this a few years ago and it was done and dusted in half a day.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Ballard wrote: »
    How about going to HK as a tourist then taking the boat to Macao and applying in person there for a working visa? I know someone who had to do exactly this a few years ago and it was done and dusted in half a day.

You obviously missed their reply to a similar suggestion;
    I'd rather not because I'm up against an age limit. If I apply from here, I have 3 months from when I apply until I have to enter HK so I can save up more. If I apply from there I'd have to leave nowish in order to be under 31 at the time of the application
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    You obviously missed their reply to a similar suggestion;

Oh I see. I did see that but only gave the thread a quick scan and didn’t take in the significance.

Realistically the likelihood of getting a HK draft is zero. There just wouldn’t be a business case for banks setting it up. I have no idea how much a visa costs whichever side of 31 you happen to be but I suspect they they’ll have to get one upon arrival.

Without having looked it up I’m surprised that a condition of application for such a visa outside of HK requires payment to be by draft when such things almost certainly don’t exist outside of a very small area. I’d be interested to hear where the OP got this information.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Ballard wrote: »
    Oh I see. I did see that but only gave the thread a quick scan and didn’t take in the significance.

Realistically the likelihood of getting a HK draft is zero. There just wouldn’t be a business case for banks setting it up. I have no idea how much a visa costs whichever side of 31 you happen to be but I suspect they they’ll have to get one upon arrival.

Without having looked it up I’m surprised that a condition of application for such a visa outside of HK requires payment to be by draft when such things almost certainly don’t exist outside of a very small area. I’d be interested to hear where the OP got this information.

Don't worry about it. The OP has just chosen to do it in this way, disregarding all other options. Best to just leave them to it. Reality will set in at some point.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ballard wrote: »

Embassies are old-fashioned... the last time I got a bank draft in HK dollars was 1982. At that time I had no difficulty buying one from a bank in the Seychelles. Those were the days...
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Embassies are old-fashioned... the last time I got a bank draft in HK dollars was 1982. At that time I had no difficulty buying one from a bank in the Seychelles. Those were the days...

There is no embassy involved. The OP is attempting to bypass any embassy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure