Direct Report Injured at work then Sacked.

Options

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    I agree my boss has not behaved great, however isn't a broken bone at work always a possibility without the employer being to blame.
    Perhaps.

If you can show that there were safe ways of working. That risk assessments were done. That the person had the right training for working at height. That the injury was properly recorded and reported. ...
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He seems to think that now the girl is sacked and due to the fall being two months ago he is safe.

Then your boss is an idiot. Notwithstanding the fact she appears to have set a claim in motion, she has 3 years to bring a personal injury claim anyway whether a current employee or not. I hope she also claims loss of earnings etc.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

A office administrator who reports directly to me a few months ago was told by my boss she had to perform some cleaning duties including high ledge windows, from what I understand she was not given a ladder which was required for the job. The girl in question subsequently fell and broke her arm, my boss was unperturbed about this and the girl was not allowed time off to recuperate with the exception of two half days for hospital appointments which she was signed out for (not sure if she was paid). This week her plaster was removed and yesterday she was subsequently called into the office and sacked by my boss being deemed "unsuitable"; she was here around six months. She has now went to her solicitor about the injury who has made contact with us, I personally feel I am not responsible for any of this and my name should not be involved in the case. Apparently our case has been made worse from not allowing her paid time off and dismissing her the week her plaster was removed. My boss has said not to worry as nothing will come from this and she has no case, however should I be concerned my name is being used at all?

Thanks in advance
    The HSE say ...

The purpose of The Work at Height Regulations 2005 external.gif is to prevent death and injury caused by a fall from height. If you are an employer or you control work at height (for example facilities managers or building owners who may contract others to work at height) the Regulations apply to you.

Employers and those in control of any work at height activity must make sure work is properly planned, supervised and carried out by competent people. This includes using the right type of equipment for working at height. Low-risk, relatively straightforward tasks will require less effort when it comes to planning.

Employers and those in control must first assess the risks.

Employees have general legal duties to take reasonable care of themselves and others who may be affected by their actions, and to co-operate with their employer to enable their health and safety duties and requirements to be complied with.

HSE have produced guidance to help you comply with the law, see Working at height: A brief guide pdf.gif for more information.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    He has left £300 aside to cover any "unlikely successful" claim, £200 which covers her weekly wage and £100 "to go away". Having reviewed what's on here he's on a hiding to nothing.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I'm almost glad I was off on the day in question, under what circumstances would my boss be exempt from a claim? He seems to think that now the girl is sacked and due to the fall being two months ago he is safe.
    You know, for someone who wasn't there and who this has nothing at all to do with, got are taking an awful lot of interest in what he thinks and whether it's true or not.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Other than the fact that the injured party was a direct report of the OP, the OP has no official part in resolving the situation. I would strongly advise that they take no unofficial part in it either. This is a problem for the manager and the company to sort out, not the OP.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    He has left £300 aside to cover any "unlikely successful" claim, £200 which covers her weekly wage and £100 "to go away". Having reviewed what's on here he's on a hiding to nothing.

Any business that needs to leave £300 'aside' is clearly not successful!
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    The OP's boss reminds me of the saying " if brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to ruffle his hair" :rotfl::rotfl:
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure I just heard drawers and filing cabinets being opened in a frantic and pointless search for getting away with it paperwork.

This very scenario illustrates why professional cleaning firms exist.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    You know, for someone who wasn't there and who this has nothing at all to do with, got are taking an awful lot of interest in what he thinks and whether it's true or not.

I'd guess the OP is interested in (in no particular order):
    • Their potential liability in this claim (admittedly now dealt with)
    • How things should be done if they end up responsible for such things in a future job
    • Their probable job security in their current role
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport