I will cut my coat according to my cloth. {Edited by Forum team} 2019

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Mooloo there are Xbox parental controls where you can set times to be on. You need a Microsoft account. Google it. It’s really simple to set up

I will get my Son to come and do it. I have absolutely no idea how to do it.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi Mooloo, well done for getting some of your fabric scraps made into saleable items. Don't forget that paying your debts is a 'worthy cause' in itself!

It must be hard to maintain momentum now when you know you are leaving at the end of the lease. I know how I feel in the final few weeks after I have handed in my notice and it is hard to maintain interest - in effect, you have that for the next 6 months!

I hope you are able to get the 'parental controls' sorted so that Gd cannot be XBoxing in the wee small hours.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I will get my Son to come and do it. I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

Here is an easy how to guide:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-parental-controls-on-the-xbox-one/
  • Savvy_sewing
    Currently taken the Xbox away. Dgd complained of being ill, headache this morning. Still sent her to school, rang them to say she had been given paracetamol and hoped she be ok. 2.50 get a call asking me to go get her. I said nope, school finishes in 25 minutes so she can just go home, take paracetamol and I will be home at 4.30. Can't leave shop too much to do, clients booked in etc.
    4pm my friend calls me to say Dgd is out playing with her son.
    I go to parents Evening and speak to teacher. Not happy. She said she thinks she was playing to the afternoon staff as she was playing football at lunchtime. Homework not done etc.
    I came home, removed Xbox and got on with my work,. When she came in I told her I was not happy. Xbox has gone and she won't be getting it back until the teacher says she's working up to standards to pass her data. We had screaming abdabs between the pair of us, she smashed my headphones throwing them in anger, and that was my head on the boil.!
    Not a pretty episode but I had had enough of her answering me back, tantruming like a two year old.
    She threw her weight around upstairs for a while, then came down for a bath, she was better afterwards. Still said she wasn't well. Sent her to bed at 9. Eventually she was there by 9.30 what an effort!
    And amongst all that I have cut out and made two dresses, a pair of shorts and a bandau top and a sarong skirt and finished off a bikini.
    Enough work for one night.
    And as all the dotty fabrics for the artist I will probably see dots in my sleep.
    Tomorrow is another day.
    Night
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Considering the stress levels I had a reasonable night.
    But oh this morning was the same old same old, but I called the school and said I can't get her to school. The headmistress and her teacher turned up 15 minutes later to get her to school.
    I am waiting for the call to advise me what happens.
    Biggests Husband has brought over her drum kit, but doesn't have time to put it together so that's a job for me to puzzle out. That will be interesting.

I have cancelled my Mum as I saw her with my brother on Monday, and my brother is up again tomorrow.
    I feel exhausted with all the arguing.
    So I am having a cup of tea, got my feet up and will potter this morning. Then I will do my food shopping before babysitting.
    Although I need to pop to the shop and bring home one of the embroidery machines, the rubbish, and a reel of continuous zip so I can continue making purses etc.
    Actually just writing this all down has calmed me down and I am ready to start pottering in the kitchen.
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Would it be a helpful tactic not to get sucked into the yelling Mooloo. refuse to engage when she acts like that. Just calmly stat the facts and then go about your business, just repeating the mantra about 'when you can speak to be civilly'etc.
    I know this is way easier said than done. And you are parenting and doing what needs to be done. Well done on the school staff on turning up to help. I hope this partnership continues.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,193 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Wow. Massive well done to the school :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    LKRDN_Morgan Posts: 308 Forumite
    Why is she getting a drum kit when she needs teachers to get her to school? With all due respect Mooloo she’s making a mug of you
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Must admit I agree with the above post. Maybe try removing ALL her privileges for at least a month... it may take that long for the truth to sink in that she can't get her own way just because she screams shouts and breaks YOUR things! Give her a book to read if she needs to entertain herself.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've been offline since my last post on Feb 16th wishing you Bon Voyage as you headed to Malta . Both dd and I have had post viral yet again and the laptop needed to go for repair . Just coming out of weeks of insomnia too .

I've read back and among the positives I'm sorry to read the situation with dgd has worsened recently .

Time for Tough Love Mooloo . I seem to remember she's still in Junior School and due to move to Senior in September . As a very small fish in a big pond then she wont be able to fool staff there .

I'm assuming all the meetings you've had with school haven't highlighted she's being bullied . The fact she is playing and mixing seems to rule out that being a problem .

It looks as though not enough restful sleep is the reason . Using the Xbox , phone etc before sleep isn't putting her in the pre sleep zone when the mind stops racing and prepares for sleep . A book would be a better idea when bedtime is due . I know she's interested in Marine Life so would a subject like that be an idea? If you still have a local library they could help her source suitable books .

The advice about not getting caught up in the yelling is good . State your case calmly, don't explain or argue just carry on with what you're doing or go and do something in another room . Be the broken record if need be but never try to justify or explain something you've already said .

I'm well aware as a mum of 4 now grown up offspring how frustrating these years can be but I had firm boundaries in place regarding social media and other things .

In your shoes I'd expect her to pay for the headphones via pocket money , no McDs or other things she sees as treats .

I do wonder if she is good at talking to you about her worries etc . I know she loves visiting her Mum and the little ones but does she understand why she can't be with them all the time and seem ok with that?

I'd carry the XBox threat through until thing are improved otherwise it's a lesson not learned . Point out to her that her school records will have these times recorded over difficulties getting her to and keeping her in school which could impact on any plans she may have in the future .

So Big Girls Knickers time . As for losing interest in the shop . Can you focus on the fact it's the stepping stone to your working from home dream necessary to make your next goal a reality?

One last thing having been offline for a while I can recommend less time with screens . I'm a low user and don't post a lot . I don't mind early evening and daytime calls on the landline or mobile or emails although it can be some time before I'll check the emails . I put my foot down years ago about texts as it's too hard on the joints to be replying on the mobile . The last few weeks have shown me a lot of the Insomnia was down to my mind being too active at bedtime .

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport