Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks for the definition, HH. I've often wondered what the exact definition of a cold caller is. It's a term we all use so frequently too.

I too am maddened by people ignoring our signs:(. Sometimes, to give them the benefit of the doubt when knocking or ringing, it's obvious that they aren't British and English isn't their first language. OH says if they've already pestered several other people with similar signs up and been sent away with a flea in their ear they should have got the message and understand what the signs mean whatever their native language is. We used to get a lot of young men with very poor English who looked middle-eastern (a rare sight round here where everyone is white) who carried huge bags full of tea towels and cheap kitchenware that they were trying to sell. They all ,looked so thin and hungry-looking and I felt terrible for turning them away without buying or even letting them show me what they had for sale. Surprisingly,OH succumbed a couple of times and the tea towels he bought were absolute rubbish:eek:

The worst, in my experience, are the charity collectors or those who want us to sign up for leaving them something in our wills or to sponsor a guide dog or something. I feel really bad about turning them away but they're still cold calling after all's said and done. I resent being made to feel mean and uncaring ,not by the collectors who are always so nice, but by my own attitude towards them and unwillingness to help their causes.

At least with a cold call phone call we can just put the phone down:j. Face to face with a caller, especially a charity volunteer, it's so much more difficult.

You're not being mean at all Carboot. People need to find a better way of earning a living than selling inferior teatowels etc.

As for charity collectors, there's a reason why they are called 'chuggers'. They get paid a comission by the charity for each donation they get, so they're not always doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

There are thousands of charities out there and we can't support every one. I would rather choose which charity I support than be emotionally blackmailed on my doorstep.

We never answer the landline at evenings and weekends, so friends and family know to ring our mobiles. I refuse to give my bank, doctor's surgery, etc, my mobile number, so it's safe to answer that :). That cuts out the cold telephone calls somewhat.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There are thousands of charities out there and we can't support every one. I would rather choose which charity I support than be emotionally blackmailed on my doorstep.

Brilliant, HH, you've expressed it so well:T. It really is emotional blackmail. I suppose that's why they do it, people are basically kind and caring and feel terrible not to help charitable causes when they come knocking.

How you described it has made me feel better about turning them away. Thank you:A
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Brilliant, HH, you've expressed it so well:T. It really is emotional blackmail. I suppose that's why they do it, people are basically kind and caring and feel terrible not to help charitable causes when they come knocking.

How you described it has made me feel better about turning them away. Thank you:A

Pleased to be of service Carboot :). I just say "I already support several charities and I don't give money on the doorstep." That tends to do the trick and they go quietly.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:21PM
    Options
    We never answer the landline at evenings and weekends, so friends and family know to ring our mobiles. I refuse to give my bank, doctor's surgery, etc, my mobile number, so it's safe to answer that :). That cuts out the cold telephone calls somewhat.

That's another great idea:T. We don't have smartphones. just the basic ones and have to rely on very poor signal quality. We have to go right down the bottom of the garden to get a signal, not very good in the winter:eek:. I never give my mobile number to people as I'd never receive their call until the next time I ventured down the garden. I just use it as an emergency phone when I'm out driving in rural areas or at night.

Maybe I should just give my mobile number and not the landline to anyone I don't want to speak to:rotfl:. At least they won't be able to bother me when I'm indoors settled down for the evening. OH always gives our landline number to companies or institutions, such as the GP surgery in case they need to contact us about anything important. OH seems to get a lot of phone calls from various banks. Unlike me he has loads of accounts and savings/investments all over the place. I, on the other hand, definitely don't want any banks phoning me:o
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too say we don't do anything on the doorstep. The one time I did donate on the doorstep I got pestered continually afterwards so will not give out personal details now. I prefer one off donations and usually stick change in the charity pots in our local shops.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    That's another great idea:T. We don't have smartphones. just the basic ones and have to rely on very poor signal quality. We have to go right down the bottom of the garden to get a signal, not very good in the winter:eek:. I never give my mobile number to people as I'd never receive their call until the next time I ventured down the garden. I just use it as an emergency phone when I'm out driving in rural areas or at night.

Maybe I should just give my mobile number and not the landline to anyone I don't want to speak to:rotfl:. At least they won't be able to bother me when I'm indoors settled down for the evening. OH always gives our landline number to companies or institutions, such as the GP surgery in case they need to contact us about anything important. OH seems to get a lot of phone calls from various banks. Unlike me he has loads of accounts and savings/investments all over the place. I, on the other hand, definitely don't want any banks phoning me:o

Good idea, you should give everyone (except friends and family) your mobile number, and then you'll only get cold calls at the bottom of your garden :).

I would hate it if my bank rang me, I don't want to speak to them :eek:. If they have something to say they can write me a letter and then I'll have it on record.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I agree with you re cold callers. They weren't invited therefore they are cold callers.
    I also don't want to speak to a bank. They are not my friend they are an institution so they can write a letter.
    Have a good evening :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I agree with you re cold callers. They weren't invited therefore they are cold callers.
    I also don't want to speak to a bank. They are not my friend they are an institution so they can write a letter.
    Have a good evening :)

You too DIA :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have missed loads again in your diary.

The gloves look very nice and I would covet them for sure. I don't know where I fit in the hot/cold discussion. I haven't put my heating on yet , I am rather proud of this. Nearly gave in tonight but had a shower and am now warm.

Well done hubby on getting his contract , that's a relief for 6 months I am sure. As for cold callers , how could they not be a cold caller knocking uninvited and trying to sell you something.

Have a good evening HH
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria :). The gloves would be worth getting a sale as they are the warmest I've ever had, apart from the sheepskin mittens.

Well done for holding off on the heating!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure