IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Back In June Of Last Year Now Resulting In Court

Options
Hi.

So basically, June last year I received a letter through the post explaining that I had a parking ticket for staying in Starbucks car park for to long. At the time I was gigging around the UK and was just killing sometime in the day as I had loads of time spare until I had to be at the next venue. It was just a Starbucks on it's own at the side of a road with a little car park which was empty apart from 2 or 3 cars. I didn't even think to check how long I had as I was using their facilities and presumed all was ok. Since June I have had various letters throughout the year asking to pay and I did a little research and found the best way was to ignore them as it was just a scare tactic to try get me to pay up. Fast forward to now and I have had a County Court letter saying they are taking it to court and I believe I cannot ignore this one.

What do I do next? I am at a loss now, do I just need to pay up or can I put up a defence? The fee has rose a considerable amount and I can't really afford to pay it nor do I think I should have to, I was just having a coffee for goodness sake, the car park was empty so it's not as if I was taking up any room and I was only there for a couple of hours.

I do have proof I was using the Starbucks as it is on my bank statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never had to deal with this before.

Cheers.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Which solicitors?

Which parking firm?

Have you asked Starbucks to intervene and get this cancelled (let them see proof of patronage on the day, and any other time you’ve used them)?

Have you read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which explains how you deal with this now you seem to be on the small claims court track?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    send your PPC a SAR by email to their DPO for a start

name the PPC and any solicitors involved

what is the DATE OF ISSUE on your claim form ?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    At the top of this board is a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. The second post in that thread details the court process.

There are links to sample defences and instructions on how to fill out the forms. To save KeithP asking what is the issue date of the claim?
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi.

So basically, June last year I received a letter through the post explaining that I had a parking ticket for staying in Starbucks car park for to long. At the time I was gigging around the UK and was just killing sometime in the day as I had loads of time spare until I had to be at the next venue. It was just a Starbucks on it's own at the side of a road with a little car park which was empty apart from 2 or 3 cars. I didn't even think to check how long I had as I was using their facilities and presumed all was ok. Since June I have had various letters throughout the year asking to pay and I did a little research and found the best way was to ignore them as it was just a scare tactic to try get me to pay up. Fast forward to now and I have had a County Court letter saying they are taking it to court and I believe I cannot ignore this one.

What do I do next? I am at a loss now, do I just need to pay up or can I put up a defence? The fee has rose a considerable amount and I can't really afford to pay it nor do I think I should have to, I was just having a coffee for goodness sake, the car park was empty so it's not as if I was taking up any room and I was only there for a couple of hours.

I do have proof I was using the Starbucks as it is on my bank statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never had to deal with this before.

Cheers.

Your research is wrong, unless it was in Scotland?

The link is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Just the usual PPC scam. Complain to your MP.

On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • BeadyRoller
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Which solicitors?

Which parking firm?

Have you asked Starbucks to intervene and get this cancelled (let them see proof of patronage on the day, and any other time you’ve used them)?

Have you read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 which explains how you deal with this now you seem to be on the small claims court track?

Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

Parking firm is Civil Enforcement LTD.

I haven't yet as I have read a couple posts on TripAdvisor complaining about cases such as mine and Starbucks wouldn't do anything so didn't think it was worth it.

I haven't read that yet no, I will read that tonight.
    Redx wrote: »
    send your PPC a SAR by email to their DPO for a start

name the PPC and any solicitors involved

what is the DATE OF ISSUE on your claim form ?

I will look in to that.

PPC is Civil Enforcement LTD and Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

The date issued was 18/06/2018.
  • BeadyRoller
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    At the top of this board is a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. The second post in that thread details the court process.

There are links to sample defences and instructions on how to fill out the forms. To save KeithP asking what is the issue date of the claim?

Will read that tonight, thanks.

The issue date was 18/06/2018.
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Just the usual PPC scam. Complain to your MP.

On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.

Thanks for the reply, how do I go about contacting my MP? Do I just explain what I have said in this thread?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

Parking firm is Civil Enforcement LTD.

I haven't yet as I have read a couple posts on TripAdvisor complaining about cases such as mine and Starbucks wouldn't do anything so didn't think it was worth it.

I haven't read that yet no, I will read that tonight.

I will look in to that.

PPC is Civil Enforcement LTD and Solicitors I believe is QDR Solicitors.

The date issued was 18/06/2018.

I'm guessing that is the issue date of the parking ticket. It's the issue date of the court claim we need.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    agreed , you were asked for the DATE OF ISSUE on the claim form, not the original pcn , so the one on your N1 form (a recent date)

you email your MP, they all have them
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2019 at 7:40PM
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Just the usual PPC scam. Complain to your MP......

Newbies coming here need to realise that despite this being a "scam", it is not "just" a scam, which suggests it should just be ignored like other scams we are warned about such as scam phone calls telling us we are in trouble for not paying income tax etc, and simply complaining to an MP is not the only way to bring newbies involvement with a PPC to an end

No-one should treat these as scams that are safe to ignore!

Everyday scammers don't win court orders against their victim who ignores them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure