PIP 2nd appointment

Hello there not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not so apology in advance. Please excuse my spelling and grammar it's not my strong point. So I'm looking for a little help O had my PIP assessment on the 14th June last month all went well or so I thought, anyway a little over two weeks after the assessment they rang me to say more info was needed i was unable to take that call but rang back when I got back home and listened to message that was left on my answer machine so I spoke to someone explained the message and that I was ringing to see what else was needed i was told no call had been made and last said didn't know what i was on about so rand round the DWP numbers only to turn up a blank anyway a week later I've received a letter for a 2ND assessment to be done!! That will take place Monday coming 23rd july so I've been ring over the last week to find out what other information is needed to help me with regard my case and no one I've spoken to can say! I've asked if it will be another full assessment or will it just be to clear up what they didn't manage to get right the first time only to be told I've never had an assessment and this is the first time I will be seen! Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them and should I be worried about going again I suffer Mental health problems and have really bad COPD and all that I've thought about is harming myself since I found out I have to go again can anyone offer any advice or help..... Thank you so much
Very sorry for my bad spelling and stuff .:)

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    SAFC37 wrote: »
    Hello there not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not so apology in advance. Please excuse my spelling and grammar it's not my strong point. So I'm looking for a little help O had my PIP assessment on the 14th June last month all went well or so I thought, anyway a little over two weeks after the assessment they rang me to say more info was needed i was unable to take that call but rang back when I got back home and listened to message that was left on my answer machine so I spoke to someone explained the message and that I was ringing to see what else was needed i was told no call had been made and last said didn't know what i was on about so rand round the DWP numbers only to turn up a blank anyway a week later I've received a letter for a 2ND assessment to be done!! That will take place Monday coming 23rd july so I've been ring over the last week to find out what other information is needed to help me with regard my case and no one I've spoken to can say! I've asked if it will be another full assessment or will it just be to clear up what they didn't manage to get right the first time only to be told I've never had an assessment and this is the first time I will be seen! Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them and should I be worried about going again I suffer Mental health problems and have really bad COPD and all that I've thought about is harming myself since I found out I have to go again can anyone offer any advice or help..... Thank you so much
    Very sorry for my bad spelling and stuff .:)
    It's not the DWP you should be ringing regarding this, it's the assessment providers. Have you tried ringing them to ask what's going on?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 July 2018 at 3:07PM
    How very odd. I've never come across this before.
    I can only assume that Atos (IAS) / Capita etc have made a complete organisational horlicks of your first assessment, and have not managed to forward a copy to the DWP decision-maker.

I'm afraid you will have to go along to this next assessment, and treat it as your first.
    (At least you will know what form it takes).

Take a copy of your PIP form with you.
    Some useful info on assessments:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-medical-assessments

If you can, take someone with you. Ask them to make notes through the assessment re Q's & A's.

When the dust has settled you may think about making a Subject Access Request to the assessment company to get your records and see what the failure to complete your first assessment was.
    And, perhaps, to the DWP:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-your-personal-information-from-the-department-for-work-and-pensions

Try not too stress about it too much.
    Do some preparation instead.
    Go through the descriptors, identify those which get you the necessary 8/12 points, and have some examples written down (or a diary of a typical week/month) to take with you and tell the assessor about.
    Remember reliability, and if it takes you twice as long to do an activity then you should be assessed as not being able to do it - with COPD this might be the case for a quite a few activities (dressing / washing / etc).
    The PIP assessment guide is helpful on reliability.
    Also remember the "majority of time" rule - i.e if you can't reliably do an activity for 50% of the time over a year - then you should score points.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/725533/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-assessment-criteria.pdf

From Benefits & Work -
    "It's vital that, before you complete your form, you understand that just because you can carry out an activity, that does not mean you are prevented from scoring points for being unable to do it.
    Guidance issued by the DWP states that you need to be able to complete an activity
    - reliably in order for it to apply. According to the guidance, reliably; means whether you can do so:
    - Safely; in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
    - To a necessary and acceptable standard given the nature of the activity.
    - Repeatedly; as often as is reasonably required.
    - In a reasonable time period no more than twice as long as a person without a physical or mental health condition would take to carry out the activity."

Good luck.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure