Reasonable cost of custom plantinum wedding ring?

Options
Not sure if anyone might have an idea here?

Fiance's engagement ring is platinum and an odd shape so wanting to get one made to fit next to it. A high street chain quoted an absolute fortune, £1500 for a plain band 12 weeks to make it.

An independent jewelers who seemed more knowledgeable (said my partners ring could be re-sized a tiny bit where as chain said impossible) and weren't pushy, quoted £600 max (more accurate quote when they have exact measurements of thickness etc).

But really I have no idea. Obviously £600 is much better than £1500! But not sure what the going rate for platinum made to measure rings are.

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends on the amount of metal and the time taken to make it.

I got my fianc!e's ring handmade at RTFJ jewellery and would thoroughly recommend Richard there. He's passionate about his work and the ring he's made us is stunning.

He's also very fairly priced, he wasn't the cheapest but he's aaster craftsman and worth every penny.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife's ring is platinum with small inlaid diamonds around it. Made to her design in the Brum Jewellery Quarter to fit around her engagement ring. It cost around a third of what you have been quoted from the high street chain.

It took about two weeks to make and came in under their quoted price.
  • Financialwizard
    Options
    Try purely diamonds. My dp bought my 3/4 eternity diamond ring from there for £700. They do some unusual shaped rings, and I think will make to order.
    Mtg Balance £147,000 : Savings £7,000 / £10,000

Getting married in October 2018 :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family