Earthgirl's Final Battle

Comments

• Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just dropping in to congratulate you on your MFW
    Progress! !!!55358;!!!56599;
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 April 2018 at 7:04PM
    Yes we decided to give the theme park a miss. The weather was awful so we went to a great softplay near the swimming lessons and then used the burger chain receipt trick to get lunch there for just over£10. £20 spent in total but it was a lovely family day out. We don't do burger chains normally but the kids really wanted to go. The rest of Easter is nsds.

Swimming lessons went well fingers crossed it makes a difference. I have a curry in the slow cooker and a lovely relaxing evening ahead.

Saturday was not so relaxing. It turned out really cold so my planned visit to a park didn't go ahead. There was a pop up cinema in the village but would have cost £7.50 for a film we could watch st home for free. I decided I could entertain the krest da instead. It worked till about 3pm, we'd had a play date, done crafts and gone for a bike ride and the kids had played themselves, but at about 3 I hit a tiredness wall (up at 6.30 for work at 7) and they hit each other :(

I'm pleased I handled it well in terms of preventing it happening again, but really feel I need to have a plan b for home days. I could also separate them before they start to hate each other and have some quiet time in rooms.
    And maybe tape educational things for tv (don't like them to have more than an hour a day but maybe could put some nature program on and link it to an activity/game) maybe the teacher in me is over thinking it!

Tomorrow it's back to working hard and bringing in the cash!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 4 April 2018 at 9:37PM
    A great couple of days -NSds too. Don't know how much other parents are paying to amuse their children this holiday. The weather is totally awful snow sleet and freezing cold!

Intensive Swimming lessons for both boys going well. Lunch club going well and I'm getting paid 2.5 hours per day at £20/hour gross which is more than I thought. It was slightly stressful today and I got a whack to the face with a football which I should have documented. Didn't but never mind. It's sore now, the child that kicked it was so kind a complete accident.

I'm doing a couple of errands with the kids in tow everyday and today was banking and getting birthday cards from the c factory. Then I'm doing a free activity with them or a play date or something.

Lodger has paid and that with my tutoring total meant I could pay in £951. This brings my total saved/overpaid to £4213. Exactly where I wanted to be at the end of March!!

To keep it going in the right direction I need to carry on earning more and spending less.

Feel bad as I've booked a hair Appointment tomorrow. It's at the cheap salon so will cost under £15 and I haven't had one for about 6 months maybe more. Oh is paying as he won a golf competition and gained £50.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 5 April 2018 at 5:09PM
    Kids did great at swimming lessons- intensive course is brilliant they seem to take giant leaps forward every day.

Lunch club stressful and rather than let it beat me (I was thinking why am I doing this?) I'll change a few things tomorrow to make it easier. One member of staff Is not very good, and I could have gone better to be honest, so lesson learned and line drawn!

Health
    Going to try and get rid of some Easter eggs by making crispie cakes to take to centre p. Next week. It's too easy to eat chocolate with so much of it about!

Enjoying getting my exercise from digging over the veg patch and had a nice walk last night.

Wealth
    Worked at lunch club, have one more day of it tomorrow, plus a tutoring tomorrow afternoon (kids visiting a relative).
    Need to do a grocery shop for the rest of this week and next for us at c.p and oh at home. Only £15 spent this week as I've had time to cook without running to loads of clubs etc.
    Decided not to book ds2 into golf lessons, and getting oh to take him instead.
    Kids collecting stars for doing extra learning and trying really hard at swimming lessons, their treat (worth £3) if they get 10 has been bought for free with Vouchers. Bribery but it's working :)
    Haircut was lovely and cost £18 prices have gone up! Oh paid out of winnings. Not sure I can use a college because of the term time working, but I'll look into it for later in the year.
    Veg patch cleared, dung applied and dug over ready for planting. Nothing much growing in the garden really, just daffodils.

Life well lived
    Lovely to have a haircut and enjoyed working in the garden in the sunshine.

Progress not Perfection
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Cut and blow dry at the college training salon costs £5-8 and they do a Thursday night so that's great. Hopefully this cut is good enough that it'll last me till October (with periodic trims by my Mum).

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good for you for researching the college haircuts - I mean to do that all the time, and I just don't get round to it (I hack at my own hair every now and then, I confess, though I'll get a proper haircut before the cruise).

I bet preparing the veg patch felt really good, its so lovely out there today :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hair cut sounds well deserved - it's a lovely treat when you get it done so infrequently! I really need to pin my SIL down about doing mine. Great prices at the college - suspect it's more or less the same round here as it would be to get my SIL to do it though. I've looked at the beauty treatment prices at our college and they aren't any cheaper than the lady I go to.

Gardening sounds lovely - spring has been a long time coming!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Yes haircut was nice, but still a bit annoyed that I didn't check the price beforehand as it would have prompted me to check the college before and maybe save about £10, but I know for again.

Health

Had a good sleep last night, going to keep and eye on my eating today, and do some exercise.

Wealth
    Lunch club was better with my new ideas, so I'll do it again in the summer hols, it's a great money earner and I also came home with bags of waste food for the hens.

I'm going to keep the Saturday and Sunday early morning teaching going as my tutoring is stopping soon as exams are over. Will try and get this to pick up.

Also could do Airbnb on another room possibly, especially at the weekends when the lodger is away.

Have a quiet weekend planned so will catch up.

Life well lived
    Ds2 had a meltdown at football training yesterday but we managed. He has a big fear of failure and it's hard work. Got there in the end though.

Went out to a friends house last night spent £6 on wine and snacks so a cheap night out!

To do:

Cheap weekend - free activities with kids
    Cleaning
    Food prep for oh and us when away next week
    Work on ohs business
    Ebay
    Have a think about other money saving/making activities

Progress not Perfection
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have fun at Center Parcs! We used to go every year as kids and had a great time (well, apart from the year my appendix burst, but they were really helpful).

Is your place a good area for airbnb? Even with the extra cleaning it looks a lot less invasive than having a lodger.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have a lovely time away EG

I think sometimes you're far too harsh on yourself. You do amazing!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback