* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    0462 sorry to hear you've been poorly but thumbs up to the weight loss lol.

MRSI/VULPIX I didn't know that about pansies, I'll bear that in mind for next year. Haven't thought much about planting up tubs this year as not sure when our moving date will be. As we live in a Victorian house I've always used lots of rustic stuff for planting (metal containers, green covered terracotta pots, rusty rain hoppers, milk jugs, old china etc) but as we're moving to a more modern bungalow I'm going to have to rethink my style a bit. Plus here we're near the village doctors' surgery so lots of people walk past and see the front but at the bungalow we'll be at the end of a cul de sac.

FREE thank you for thinking of me, I'm reading regularly but haven't had much time to post as have had DGD here for the past week and have also had the DGSs a couple of days. DGD is back tonight until Easter so making the most of having access to the iPad. Fortunately she's very into Minecraft at the moment so is using her phone to play on instead.

I'm loving the weather this weekend, I may even venture out in a dress today instead of jeans (steady on there). The diet has gone out of the window, for some reason I just seem to want to eat all the time. Will forget it till after Easter then it's healthy eating time again :D I lost five and a half pounds of the seven I needed to lose to get my BMI where it should be but I'm pretty sure I've eaten that back in the last two weeks! We've managed to only eat one smallish Easter egg of the ones stashed upstairs for the little ones which is good going compared to other years but I mustn't forget to replace it!

Hope everyone has good weather and a lovely day whatever you're doing.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • princesskitty29
    princesskitty29 Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Hi all, well what a lovely weekend! I couldn’t believe it was only 9th April today with all that sunshine and heat! I had two friends to stay this weekend and we went for afternoon tea at a nearby hotel yesterday. The food was fine and it was nice sitting outside in the gardens but blimey it’s not worth the money sometimes! There wasn’t loads of food and they would only bring out more sandwiches at an extra cost which we weren’t willing to pay on top of what we were already paying! I find it’s a real lottery with afternoon tea whether you get a really good or not so good one. It’s still one of my favourite things to do though! :D

freespirit thank you for your kind words I appreciate them and it makes me feel better!

kerri I hope your tonsillitis has cleared up now, I’ve never had it but it doesn’t sound very nice. :(

vulpix and mrsinvisible thank you for the pansies tip, I will definitely get some of those, that’s just what I’m after!

04624181 sorry to hear you’ve been poorly, I hope you feel better soon.
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Trendyjenny- hope you have a lovely holiday- a few days by the sea sounds good to me!

Vulpix- how are your injuries now? Is the turmeric working yet?
    Free- yup Im here just been busy doing a lot of nothing and getting even less done! I agree with Vulpix about the gardening, it can be a slippery slope!
    Peppa- yes this weather is lovely. What about some hyacinth planters or some of those knitted effect keter planters for a more modern look? My top patio is more modern than the rest of the garden and I have large zinc planters either side of a rectangular pond - I have had them for about 8 years now and they haven't rusted etc. I got them from Argos for about £12 in the sale. They add height and dimension to an otherwise fairly flat area of the garden.

Kerri- I hope you are feeling better, tonsillitis is the 'go to' illness in my family so I know you will have been feeling poorly x

Princess kitty- I envious of those gardens that you see on IG that look like they have been lifted direct from the Chelsea Garden show, but suspicious when they have kids playing in them- children and gardens are not a natural mix in my experience! I would go with planters as you said but maybe get some of those plants stands on wheels so that they can be moved out of the way of the 'rugby pitch'/ fairy picnic area. You can even grow fruit trees in planters if you want more height in the garden and things like clematis over an obelisk or trellis look good in planters too. They will last for years as long as you remember to water/feed them.

Mrs I- that bike was a bargain! Too late!( I wont tell anyone about the dust in your house as long as you don't spill the beans about the dust levels in mine!).

046..- sorry you have been poorly, hopefully you are fighting fit now x
    The weather is supposed to be cooler today by about 10 degrees so I think our beautiful spring weather has been put on hold for a while.

I have an 'ask' - I have got a lovely foostool that DD bought for me from a CS as I have been after one for a while, it ticks all the boxes apart from the fact it has awful white plastic queen anne style legs. I need suggestions on how to disguise them in some way. As they are plastic I don't think I can paint them and for the life of me I cant see how they are attached so I cant take them off and replace them (I think its a moulded unit). it was such a bargain at £10 and all in the original wrapping that I really want it to work, but the dayglow white legs are a real put off! Any suggestions ?
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Gosh Murie,thats a problem if the legs are attatched. All i can think of is to spray them a better colour after covering the top in plastic.

Your modern garden sounds lovely.I love a nice rill and very modern gardens and cottage gardens and all gardens !!!!!!!!!!!

This house is Edwardian and has quite a small backgarden with an extension which makes it smaller.It has a stone wall and wooden panels on the top which makes it a courtyard and a suntrap.I was looking at an espalier peach tree to go on the "hot" wall but don't want to spend so much on something I will have to leave behind if we move again.A dwarf apple will have to do.

I have built a raised bed from old bricks from knocking walls out inside to hide the concrete footings of the fence posts.I got 12 strawberry plants from b n q for £2.They were only thirsty.So they are in there at the moment whilst I find an apple tree at the right price.

I went to a carboot sale yesterday and got some sea holly,came home and emptied the shed,and emptied a massive planter which held a rose in memory of DD2's Mum.I have put it in the ground and it will be happier once it gets over the shock.I was jiggered last night.I had had 2 very busy days.

DD2 has gone to stay with her rellies for a few days,my intention was to do some housework but will take a leaf out of Mrs I's book and ignore it.Just hope I don't get any surprise visitors.

0462 hope you are feeling better so you can enjoy your weightloss;)I am stashing the photos of my makes,keep forgetting to ask I t support when she visits.

Peppa I like the idea of regal planters at your bungalow. I like a cordline or flax in a huge zinc pot.

Free it is very early days with the turmeric but I have noticed that my knees are much less painful today.They have hurt constantly for a couple of years and the pain is noticeably less.There is loads of info online and a users FB group.

Pk what a shame about your afternoon tea.Many years ago my cousin and i took my Aunty and my Mum to London to tour Buckingham palace and we went for tea at the Ritz afterwards.Being country bumpkins we ate every morsel and every time we did they brought more! We had to admit defeat eventually.We enjoyed the Ritz more than BP.

Might just tidy up a bit n head out into the garden whilst its fine.Almost ready to post pics of a years work!

Vx
     :
  • Hello there, had planned to come on last week, but week got off to bad news. One of the rellies in Egypt had a stroke about 6 weeks, we knew that the prognosis was poor and were resigned to the inevitable, but even so, getting the news last Monday was a shock. He was such a lovely man, but he is better off rather than a non existent quality of life.

Free: Glad DD back op went well, another worry off your tick list.

Mrs I: No speeding please!

Vulpix: Hope leg is on mend

Trendy: Hope you enjoying holiday

PK: Wiggle may not be so pleased at bump's arrival, but he will get used to being a bigh brother!. The boy in Egypt was thrilled while his mum was pregnant, wanted to know if his sister could be sent back when she arrived!

Nic: How was caravan? I've only stayed in one once, it bucketed for the whole time we were there :(

Clumsy: Hope ECG is all good

Kerri: Get well.

Not done much Christmassy, but doing a blitz on wardrobes, being absolutely ruthless. Ashamed to say that I am not even sorting for CS, all going straight to recycling, got to do it this way or there will be the risk that some will remain. Will be at the recycling centre at 08:00 on Friday, hopefully that will mean I am in & out quickly, especially as we now have to prove that we live in the borough, so will have to go armed photo id & a bill. Think I get a sticker to put in the car, so this process will be a one off.

Superdrug have their own label face masks for 49p, think I may get some and put aside for hampers.

Had a look to see how much my flight to Egypt is now. As I saved "unexpected" money to book business class, I paid £970, yesterday, it was £2,300 :eek: Think I got a bargain :D
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Afternoon everyone, DD1 and i refreshed all the bark in the front garden borders yesterday and weeded it as well, so now just need to prune bushes and trim the hedge. We are going to replace the trellis fence as it has leant over and where a football has been kicked into it it has bits broken on it, although i am not as confident as DD1 that we can do it on our own :eek:

KERRI i hope you feel better soon, it sounds nasty

VULPIX how did the fund raiser go? That is encouraging about the turmeric and it working so quickly, very interesting. Ooh i always wanted to go for tea at The Ritz it looks so beautiful in photos

04624181 i hope you feel better soon

MRSINVISIBLE great bargain on the bike, they will love coming over and having their own bikes to play on

PEPPAPIG aww glad you have been having fun with DGD. I have had to store the easter eggs that DD2 has bought everyone here as she has already had to replace them once the naughty girl!

PRINCESSKITTY what a shame about the afternoon tea, i think some places have jumped on the bandwagon and see it as a money earner for not much outlay. I have been lucky the ones i have been on have left us stuffed to the gills, not once have we left anything :rotfl:

MURIE i must admit my first thoughts was to spray the legs with a spray for plastic? You can get so many colours now there must be something to match it

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Hello there, had planned to come on last week, but week got off to bad news. One of the rellies in Egypt had a stroke about 6 weeks, we knew that the prognosis was poor and were resigned to the inevitable, but even so, getting the news last Monday was a shock. He was such a lovely man, but he is better off rather than a non existent quality of life.

Free: Glad DD back op went well, another worry off your tick list.

Mrs I: No speeding please!

Vulpix: Hope leg is on mend

Trendy: Hope you enjoying holiday

PK: Wiggle may not be so pleased at bump's arrival, but he will get used to being a bigh brother!. The boy in Egypt was thrilled while his mum was pregnant, wanted to know if his sister could be sent back when she arrived!

Nic: How was caravan? I've only stayed in one once, it bucketed for the whole time we were there :(

Clumsy: Hope ECG is all good

Kerri: Get well.

Not done much Christmassy, but doing a blitz on wardrobes, being absolutely ruthless. Ashamed to say that I am not even sorting for CS, all going straight to recycling, got to do it this way or there will be the risk that some will remain. Will be at the recycling centre at 08:00 on Friday, hopefully that will mean I am in & out quickly, especially as we now have to prove that we live in the borough, so will have to go armed photo id & a bill. Think I get a sticker to put in the car, so this process will be a one off.

Superdrug have their own label face masks for 49p, think I may get some and put aside for hampers.

Had a look to see how much my flight to Egypt is now. As I saved "unexpected" money to book business class, I paid £970, yesterday, it was £2,300 :eek: Think I got a bargain :D

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY im so sorry to hear about your relative, my condolences to you and your family. We also have to have a sticker to use our local recycling centre and have been banned from the one we used all because of a row over money and usage between neighbouring councils! I have used the superdrug facepacks before a lovely warming one it was really nice.
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Evening all - sounds like many of us have been busy in our respective gardens / planning new ones. I dead headed the hanging basket then plonked my backside in ours with the kindle for most of the weekend. We have now ordered a proper patio set which is en-route so no more of the two (albeit very useful) plastic chairs on the decking soon - hurrah! Got them from Freegle and they've been great but not overly comfy for lounging. Tonsillitis has pretty much gone - yay! I had a really bad bout as a teenager and ever since then it's been a bit of a weak spot. Thankfully no temp with it this time. However, seems to now be being replaced with a stinking cold. This is totally unlike me as I'm generally not unwell. Still, need to remind myself there are many many out there who live with and go through much worse.

Gettingthere so sorry to hear about your relative, it's never easy even when it's expected, but like you I would prefer the 'fast lane' rather than no quality.

Speaking of afternoon tea - has anyone seen the Beauty and the Beast themed one in London? Not looked into it in detail but it keeps popping up on my newsfeed on faceache.

murie I agree about the idea of spraying the legs to a less offensive colour - plastic / paper over the rest of the stall and create neat edges for the spray with painters tape.

Right...that's me off to mainline another lemsip.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Murie, if you don't want to spray the legs you could hide them by making a 'skirt' using fabric you like, simple elastic or gathers onto a band attached using glue or Velcro, or a more fitted one using box pleats at the corners?
    Looks like lots of us are ignoring the dust and heading for the great outdoors. lots of great ideas for design, l especially like the idea of raised beds to hide the concrete footings, l may copy that, if you don't mind? maybe fill them with acid plant supporting soil and grow some azaleas, or just fill them with bright coloured flowers.
    GTQ so sorry to hear about your relative, l agree, though, that it is probably better than a 'no life' . Hard to get to grips with especially at such a distance.
    PK rotten luck with the afternoon tea, it is my favourite treat, too. l have been known to make one to eat in the garden with fave cos or DSIL. (bought cakes though, otherwise l'd bake too many and eat them all.) or if it was all home made, l'd do slicing cakes like fruit loaf, gingerbread, Victoria, for easiness.
    fraction of the cost too.
    No DGS, house is quiet, and l have no-one else to blame for the mess and clutter!
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good Morning,

Mrs I,I like your style with ignoring the cleaning but I will have to do it today,I would be mortified if someone visited.I know it will happen soon.Thank goodness my friend has quarantined herself with a rotten cold.Mind you,she goes out all the time and her husband does the cleaning.Mr V will clean badly under close supervision.I think he does a bad job in the hope he doesn't get asked again.

What a great idea to get bikes for the little ones,they will love it.It isnt gardening weather today.Cold.Took me hours to warm up after yesterdays attempts.I have built a tiny raised bed round another fence footing and put a thornless blackberry in it.I figured that as they grow like weeds it would be ok.

Get well soon kerri,enjoy your new garden furniture,we just need the sun back again.

GTQ,I am sorry for your loss.Always difficult.Isn't it nice that he will be remembered as a "nice" person who had a positive affect in life.

Free, the fund raiser wasnt that busy because it was such a beautiful day and tbh the woman who organised it didnt advertise it too well.We could have been mobbed by tourists if she had put signs out on the tourist roads.I was on bric a brac and there is loads left,most of it donated by me :rotfl:

I am very impressed with the golden paste as its called,worth looking into,it is used a lot for animals too.

Your garden is coming on a treat,I hope we get the sun back so you can sit in it and enjoy your efforts.

I am putting off the cleaning as long as possible.Come on V,get on with it!

Vx
     :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family