OPODO - Ripped off and terrible complaints service

Options

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Well I didn't know any of these problems and used them to book two flights to Taiwan Premium Economy- when I got the tickets the ones between Hong Kong and Taipei were only Economy.
    The main problem with the comments so far is that there seems to be no way of making them accountable.
    Just not using them again and warning others is not stopping their bad practice!
    I have written to them after spending £20 worth of phone calls with no result. So far of course I have not had a reply.
    They need to be stopped - how can this be done?

If you can prove that they have not provided you with what they said they would consider chargeback through your bank.
    This will mean all flights will be cancelled so take care if you do this.
    One last thought - does the Taipei and Hong kong leg offer premium economy to anybody? Have you checked with the airline?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    two flights to Taiwan Premium Economy- when I got the tickets the ones between Hong Kong and Taipei were only Economy.

I assume this is the Cathay flights and agree when you enter premium economy these show in the search, when you go to the next page to complete your booking at select "Flight Details" it shows the long haul flight in Premium Economy and the TPE-HKG as Economy
    There does not appear to be a way to filter on "Premium Economy for ALL legs" and probably was not an unfair assumption to assume that is what you were seeing in the results but the flight breakdown does make it clear
  • novelty-socks
    Options
    Who owns Opodo these days? I booked good flight / hotel deals through them years back when I think they were owned by a coalition of airlines (could've imagined that though!), but I recall them changing hands more than once since.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Who owns Opodo these days? I booked good flight / hotel deals through them years back when I think they were owned by a coalition of airlines (could've imagined that though!), but I recall them changing hands more than once since.

The are owned by eDreams :eek: so no wonder there customer service is so bad. eDreams must be the shonkiest OTA out there.

The internet is littered with complaints about Opodo, and TA has thousands just on there.

Companies like this will always exist as long as they have a constant stream of people just willing to thrown their money at any random company in search of a cheap ticket. If people can't be bothered to spend a few minutes researching first then they often find out that they have paid the "stupid" tax, as someone on TA so accurately puts it.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I think you are corr ct about being owned by the airlines in the past, at least that is what I thought when I last used them about 17 years ago
  • JGowan
    Options
    I'm completely shocked by the behaviour of Opodo.

Flight was cancelled by airline and they agreed to pay me back immediately. Trouble is, it all went to Opodo's bank account. And I have spent hours on the phone trying to get my money back. I'm absolutely disgusted by their behaviour. Why should I have to be on the phone for hours? At great expense? Its utterly unbelievable that this is still unresolved.

Why should I be wasting my time calling Opodo? Why can't I email them? What's with the outrageous waiting times on the phone (not to mention the price of the call). It comes across as if they have set up their systems to deter people from claiming their own money back.

If you have a problem with your flight and you've booked with Opodo. Be prepared for a horror show of a customer service experience.

If they think I'm giving up my hard earned money to them, they have another thing coming.

They need to buck up their ideas.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whilst in no way wishing to defend this shonky OTA, it is quite possible that the airline has yet to transfer your flight payment back to them. I believe many airlines and large travel companies make payments to each other via something called the Bank Settlement Plan and the payments run every two weeks.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Options
    JGowan wrote: »
    Flight was cancelled by airline and they agreed to pay me back immediately.

has the airline confirmed that they have actually made the payment to Opodo?
    I had previously cancelled a fully refundable ticket booked direct with the airline and it still took 4 weeks before I received a refund
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    JGowan wrote: »
    It comes across as if they have set up their systems to deter people from claiming their own money back.

Gee, you think? What's the timeline for this, how long have you been waiting for your money? If you had bothered reading the hundreds of complaints about them before you booked you wouldn't be shocked at their behaviour.
  • JGowan
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for getting on my issue.

Opodo have agreed to give me my money back bit it will take 4 weeks.

My main gripe is the repeated lengthy waits on the phone (and expensive calls), I was assured that the wait would last 5 minutes each time and each time it was around 45 minutes.That and the irritating waiting music left me quite annoyed. The curt/ poor service of the people I was talking to on the phone added to an awful experience. And why exactly I had to call and chase them after the initial call was again inexplicable (though they had tried to call me once, it was two hours later than the agreed time).

Im quite against the company now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport