Flight delay compensation, US and Canadian Airlines

Options

Comments

• mrnomoneybags
    Options
    Hello All, Hopefully somebody can give me some advice here.

I was delayed on a flight in 2009 to the US the delay was 8+ hours.

US Airways offers me a $800 voucher, Id never fly with them again due to the quality of the service not the delay.

I refused the voucher and went to the CAA, I got a reply last week (before the new court ruling) I had two replies one telling me the delay was due to a miscommunication and a ground staff member was injured. Then I got a second email telling me that the previous email was incorrect and the delay was due to a "unforeseen engine malfunction" and thus I would not be due any compensation.

They go on to say I can issue a claim through the court.

Unsure if I should just give up or not?

thanks
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al1x wrote: »
    Do my parents have a case here

Have a read of the FAQs and search the forum. This type of scenario is not uncommon.
  • pamela9234
    Options
    I flew from Manchester to New York. I was delayed 5 hours, how can I claim compensation when United no longer exist, they merged with another company
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    pamela9234 wrote: »
    I flew from Manchester to New York. I was delayed 5 hours, how can I claim compensation when United no longer exist, they merged with another company

Your claim is with the merged company, who take on the liability.

Please post on the North American thread, though, rather than starting your own. Thanks.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    please try to do so in the airline specific threads

Doesn't seem to work, does it? Do you think a larger font would help?! It does my head in!!
  • charmstrong_2
    Options
    Hi,

I was asked to repost this here.

Please note, the tickets were booked as tickets to CMH with a transfer in EWR (not as two seperate tickets).

Thanks

Hi,

I was hoping that somebody who has more of an idea about this sort of thing might be able to give me some advice.

My wife and I flew from Manchester on the 13th Jun (Friday 13th, I guess I should of known.....) to Columbus, Oh via Newark, NJ with United (never, ever fly United). However, we purchased the flights, hotel and car hire as a package with Travelocity (if this makes any difference).

Anyway, the flight from MAN to EWR was absoltely fine and we arrived on time. Transfered to a plane for the second leg, EWR to CMH and sat on the plane for two hours, not moving.

There was quite a bad storm scheduled to move in (we could see big, black clouds to the side but, overhead, the sky was blue). The pilot came on over the intercom and advised that the delay was due to the forecast bad weather. A second time, he came on and advised that air traffic control were re-routing a "roundabout" route that would use a lot more fuel and so he was going to wait to see if the storm cleared or he would have to re-fuel for the alternate route. Eventually, we were told to disembark and the flight was cancelled.

In the terminal, all the United customer service desks were heaving and it took a good couple of hours to be seen. We were advised that we were re-scheduled for a flight on the Sunday - 2 days later! There were earlier flights, however, as the couple we ended up talking to who were behind us in the queue were first class and were scheduled for a flight to CMH on the Sunday.

To top that off: there was no apology; no phone vouchers; no meals; no hotels. Nothing. We were left to fend for ourselves in Newark!

We got to the baggage claim and there was no sign of our bags - we spoke to a guy who told us that it would probably take about 3 hours to get our bags if at all and we would be better off leaving them to ensure they got to Columbus.

I think i've got a claim against United (they're stating unforseen circumstances due to the weather) as the pilot did admit that it was due to the amount of fuel required *and* there were other planes taking off at the time ours was cancelled. For me, the flight was cancelled due to commercial decisions.

Anybody got any idea if i'm right?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chris
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to read the FAQs on the applicable airline site
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896699 and repost there rather than starting a new thread
  • charmstrong_2
    Options
    Hi, was hoping for some advice and it appears the first place I was asked to move my post to was also incorrect.

Anyway, I was hoping for some help with the below.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

I was asked to repost this here.

Please note, the tickets were booked as tickets to CMH with a transfer in EWR (not as two seperate tickets).

Thanks

Hi,

I was hoping that somebody who has more of an idea about this sort of thing might be able to give me some advice.

My wife and I flew from Manchester on the 13th Jun (Friday 13th, I guess I should of known.....) to Columbus, Oh via Newark, NJ with United (never, ever fly United). However, we purchased the flights, hotel and car hire as a package with Travelocity (if this makes any difference).

Anyway, the flight from MAN to EWR was absoltely fine and we arrived on time. Transfered to a plane for the second leg, EWR to CMH and sat on the plane for two hours, not moving.

There was quite a bad storm scheduled to move in (we could see big, black clouds to the side but, overhead, the sky was blue). The pilot came on over the intercom and advised that the delay was due to the forecast bad weather. A second time, he came on and advised that air traffic control were re-routing a "roundabout" route that would use a lot more fuel and so he was going to wait to see if the storm cleared or he would have to re-fuel for the alternate route. Eventually, we were told to disembark and the flight was cancelled.

In the terminal, all the United customer service desks were heaving and it took a good couple of hours to be seen. We were advised that we were re-scheduled for a flight on the Sunday - 2 days later! There were earlier flights, however, as the couple we ended up talking to who were behind us in the queue were first class and were scheduled for a flight to CMH on the Sunday.

To top that off: there was no apology; no phone vouchers; no meals; no hotels. Nothing. We were left to fend for ourselves in Newark!

We got to the baggage claim and there was no sign of our bags - we spoke to a guy who told us that it would probably take about 3 hours to get our bags if at all and we would be better off leaving them to ensure they got to Columbus.

I think i've got a claim against United (they're stating unforseen circumstances due to the weather) as the pilot did admit that it was due to the amount of fuel required *and* there were other planes taking off at the time ours was cancelled. For me, the flight was cancelled due to commercial decisions.

Anybody got any idea if i'm right?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chris
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    I think your claim might fail in a number of respects - of which the weather is the most obvious. Sorry.
  • charmstrong_2
    Options
    That's a pity, I thought with the fact that it wasn't the weather that affected the flight but the route might of meant I had a chance.

Seems incredible that United can just dump you in a strange city for two days and then give earlier flights to other people.

Still, I guess you live and learn. My insurance didn't cover it either.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback