PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options

Comments

• Tommelise
    Tommelise Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lucylema wrote: »
    what is mystery dining?

Read more about mystery shopping here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4177927

It very much depends on the company you do the assignment for. If you are not careful, you will end up spending you own money and having to do a report on the visit.

However mystery shopping/dinning can be quite fun, and you can earn a bit on the side, if you find a decent company to work for
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 19 October 2012 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Aldi are now the cheapest on pasta 1kg is 48p, in asda and tesco it is 500g for 30p
    Aldi have also started to do bags of chicken portions for £1.59 there are 7 to 8 pieces to a bag depending on size.
    super six is all 39p parsnips, carrots, new potatoes, sweetheart cabbage, 3 large onions and cucumber.
    The parsnips, carrots, cabbage, onion and new potatoes can all be frozen. I par boil the potatoes and pre roast them in lard until they are just colouring, allow to cool and freeze.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aldi are now the cheapest on pasta 1kg is 48p, in asda and tesco it is 500g for 30p
    Aldi have also started to do bags of chicken portions for £1.59 there are 7 to 8 pieces to a bag depending on size.
    super six is all 39p parsnips, carrots, new potatoes, sweetheart cabbage, 3 large onions and cucumber.
    The parsnips, carrots, cabbage, onion and new potatoes can all be frozen. I par boil the potatoes and pre roast them in lard until they are just colouring, allow to cool and freeze.

your doing it again :rotfl:i'm only winding you up, those super 6 are all really good, nice winter comfort food :) if we had an aldi i'd have bought them all, even the cucumber (for cucmber and soft cheese crackers)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • marri_lou
    marri_lou Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if this has already been posted

Cheese and ham potato bake (Can micro and takes about 15 -20 minutes for me in the micro)

25g butter or marg
    150g any cheeses
    15g plain flour
    400 ml milk
    750 - 800g potatoes, peeled and sliced, pat dry
    salt and pepper
    SPices - I add a wee bit mustard powder, nutmeg, garlic - whatever I have in
    Packet value ham (wee packet), cut into squares

Melt butter in pot, add flour to make a roux, add milk and bring to simmer stirring all the time to prevent lumps. Add in about 100g of the cheese, keeping by 50g for topping.

Usually I throw in the potato slices and ham all together, mix about in the sauce and then place in the baking dish, means that all the potato is covered nicely.

Top with cheese. Bake in Micro for about 15 - 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. For an oven I'd estimate maybe 50 minutes or so on 180c

Served with cabbage this is a nice easy meal.
    Feb GC £41.23/£90 :o
    Debt £0/£2140 (everything bar the mortgage). 16th Month 0% interest, ends May 2009.Mortgage - £54000
    Competitions won: Gu Chocolates (Jan n/r)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    The way prices are rising I doubt that this is doable any more, but I am going to have another try at a menu if anyone is interested
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Mojoworking
    Options
    I'd find it interesting and thanks for the advice of how to prep things best as I've never had to think about that until recently and it's invaluable advice. Especially now with pay cuts coming and having to squeeze that food budget all the more and plan meals better. I would say a couple of years ago I would always bin something be it carrots or something in the fridge that I forgot to use - I can't remember when I've last done that as I'm so much more on the ball and aware of the real cost to me and it just can't happen. All due to reading advice on here and being more mse.

I think it was your tinned peaches and cake mix recipe a while back that is a family favourite now!

I really appreciate the time you and others take to post and plan things on here for the likes of myself to use and learn from - thank you.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Well done mojo if you need any more help just ask x
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I'd find it interesting and thanks for the advice of how to prep things best as I've never had to think about that until recently and it's invaluable advice. Especially now with pay cuts coming and having to squeeze that food budget all the more and plan meals better. I would say a couple of years ago I would always bin something be it carrots or something in the fridge that I forgot to use - I can't remember when I've last done that as I'm so much more on the ball and aware of the real cost to me and it just can't happen. All due to reading advice on here and being more mse.

I think it was your tinned peaches and cake mix recipe a while back that is a family favourite now!

I really appreciate the time you and others take to post and plan things on here for the likes of myself to use and learn from - thank you.
    We have a soup and pudding night once or twice a week, basically a home made soup made from super six or reduced veggies served with some HM rolls or cheap rolls from Tesco and a rice pudding, sponge pudding etc as a filler.
    I have just made a huge batch of parsnip soup, mushroom soup and mushroom sauce (I will use that in a risotto ) for pennies using the super six parsnips and some YS mushrooms. I am going to get some more parsnips tomorrow and make even more soup and freeze that as well :D
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 October 2012 at 3:52PM
    Options
    Chana Daal

300g Chana 40p
    (dried in bags where the world foods section is or where the bags of dried lentils and beans are, looks a bit like yellow split peas, you can use yellow split peas as a replacement if you can't get chana)
    1tsp salt 1p
    1tsp turmeric 5p
    1 tbsp oil 2p
    1 tsp chopped garlic (about 2 cloves is what i usually put in) 6p
    1 tsp chopped red chilli (you can use dried chilli, or, chilli powder, just adjust the amount to suit your taste) 10p
    2 chopped fresh tomatoes or half a can of chopped plum tomatoes (200g) 12p
    Total 76p
    Total per portion 19p
    Serves 4

Freezes brilliantly so easy to double up the recipe and make portions for the freezer, then defrost either in the microwave or on the hob

Method

Put the chana in a large saucepan, rinse then drain, add 2 pints of water, the salt, turmeric and bring to the boil with lid off, then simmer for about 20 minutes.

In a small saucepan warm the oil on the lowest heat your hob will do, pu the chopped garlic in and fry very slowly until it goes a nutty golden colour and is a 'chewy' texture.

Add the chopped tomatoes to the oil and garlic mix and warm gently.

Add the tomato mixture into the chana saucepan and then simmer for a further 10 minutes.

Delicious with plain rice and/or naan bread:)
    Rice is about 7p per portion so if you include that then it is about 26p per portion:)

Yummy

All prices were calculated using the prices shown on mysupermarket.com
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ecoelle wrote: »
    Chana Daal

300g Chana 40p
    (dried in bags where the world foods section is or where the bags of dried lentils and beans are, looks a bit like yellow split peas, you can use yellow split peas as a replacement if you can't get chana)
    1tsp salt 1p
    1tsp turmeric 5p
    1 tbsp oil 2p
    1 tsp chopped garlic (about 2 cloves is what i usually put in) 6p
    1 tsp chopped red chilli (you can use dried chilli, or, chilli powder, just adjust the amount to suit your taste) 10p
    2 chopped fresh tomatoes or half a can of chopped plum tomatoes (200g) 12p
    Total 76p
    Total per portion 19p
    Serves 4
    Freezes brilliantly so easy to double up the recipe and make portions for the freezer, then defrost either in the microwave or on the hob

Method
    Put the chana in a large saucepan, rinse then drain, add 2 pints of water, the salt, turmeric and bring to the boil with lid off, then simmer for about 20 minutes.

In a small saucepan warm the oil on the lowest heat your hob will do, pu the chopped garlic in and fry very slowly until it goes a nutty golden colour and is a 'chewy' texture.

Add the chopped tomatoes to the oil and garlic mix and warm gently.

Add the tomato mixture into the chana saucepan and then simmer for a further 10 minutes.

Delicious with plain rice and/or naan bread:)
    Rice is about 7p per portion so if you include that then it is about 26p per portion:)

Yummy

All prices were calculated using the prices shown on mysupermarket.com

Sounds very yummy! (I love Daal.)

Shouldn't you soak the chickpeas first?
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport