PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• coldcazzie
    coldcazzie Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hey all :)

I have finally finished my Feb month, and am waaaay over! I've come in at about £455 from a budget of £420, so I'm setting myself another budget of £420 and going to try harder to come under it this time.

Just placed my bulk order to be delivered on Friday: guide price is £145.

For the record my budget includes household and toiletries, plus cat food for 2 raw fed cats:money:
    Rule 7: If you're not changing it, you're choosing it.
    MFW 2020: 1 Jan £92903.90 ~ OP £536.80/£500
    MFW 2021: 1 Jan £89281.21 ~ OP £404.62/£500
    MFW 2022: 1 Jan £85579.20 ~ OPs on hold.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Ooo, yummy, that sounds delicious! Couple of questions (as always, sorry, I'm not really a natural cook!):

- is it raw beetroot you put in or the stuff in the vacuum packs?
    - do you mean a red pepper or like ground black pepper?!

I think that's it - roughly how long does that take to roast? 40 minutes at 180 ish?

Thank you so much!

LC
    I use the vacuum packed Beetroot - cheap from Al.. or Li.. - don't know about other sms. I just use 1 or 2 out of a pack each time. The Pepper is the vegetable sort - I tend to buy a multi pack - cheaper plus a range of colours - I like a good looking meal.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 229/136
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £39.49/£100 NSD - 71
    2024 Craft Makes - 192 Craft Spends 2024 £243.05/£500
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry - forgot to say - I put everything in a dish - got a white ceramic one from 99p shop. I toss/stir everything to mix the oil/vinegar and sugar plus to coat the veggies. To cook - takes about 30 - 40 mins at 180/190 - depends on your oven - mine is ancient!
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 229/136
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £39.49/£100 NSD - 71
    2024 Craft Makes - 192 Craft Spends 2024 £243.05/£500
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Florenceem wrote: »
    I use the vacuum packed Beetroot - cheap from Al.. or Li.. - don't know about other sms. I just use 1 or 2 out of a pack each time. The Pepper is the vegetable sort - I tend to buy a multi pack - cheaper plus a range of colours - I like a good looking meal.
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Sorry - forgot to say - I put everything in a dish - got a white ceramic one from 99p shop. I toss/stir everything to mix the oil/vinegar and sugar plus to coat the veggies. To cook - takes about 30 - 40 mins at 180/190 - depends on your oven - mine is ancient!

Once again, thank you sooo much Florenceem! I am definitely going to try this one, it sounds delicious! Just debating whether to have it or the white cabbage recipe tonight... hmmm...!

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    thought it was going to be a NSD as i have been at work all day, but no DH has decided to go to @ldi on his way home and pick up some stuff and DD1 wanted to make buns so has spent £10 :eek: on goodness knows what :eek:. wont know the actual cost until i get in tonight , but im not a happy bunny :(
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Hi all - another NSD here - pasta bake for dinner followed by fruity tea bread - yummy.

Tomorrow I am out all day at a course and will pass waitflower on the way home - I live an hour away so going is a real treat. Will try to resist but ........
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bestill wrote: »
    Hello, could I ask a question? I saw ham shanks in a local butchers for £2.50 the other day & was wondering if this was good value and if it is what do I do with it? Would be greatful for any advice.

Hi, there is a thread here on it:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=256992

Never seen them to buy myself, but I think they could be very useful if you like past bakes/quiche/soup and so on.

HTH
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • elsiepac
    edited 9 March 2012 at 10:43AM
    Hi all

Small spend in L1d! of £1.84 for a pack of 3 mixed peppers and a pack of vacuum packed beetroot.

Tea will be a baked potato with Florenceem's roasted vegetables, yum!

LC

Mar GC: £44.51/£70
    Week 1: £14.47/£9 <-- over by £5.47 :eek:
    Week 2:
    £7.21/£9
    Week 3: £
    0/£9
    Week 4:
    £0/£9
    Week 5:
    £0/£9
    Stores: £22.83/£25
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    elsiepac wrote: »
    I should have mentioned that I HATE fruit in savoury food, REALLY REALLY HATE IT!!! :rotfl: Hence having trouble finding decent red cabbage recipe... sorry :o

[/FONT]

My dh does not like fruit with his veg, and fruit and salad should not be on the same plate. He makes an exception with apple as he will have that with pork.
    If I make cous cous I like fruit and seeds in it, I make separate bowls to make sure he eats it.

reading further on I love the recipe by Florence, thats just the kind of thing I would eat. Beetroot and redcabbage are now on my aldi list. That would go nice with a cheese quiche and gammon.
  • elsiepac
    JIL wrote: »
    My dh does not like fruit with his veg, and fruit and salad should not be on the same plate. He makes an exception with apple as he will have that with pork.
    If I make cous cous I like fruit and seeds in it, I make separate bowls to make sure he eats it.

reading further on I love the recipe by Florence, thats just the kind of thing I would eat. Beetroot and redcabbage are now on my aldi list. That would go nice with a cheese quiche and gammon.

Once I've finished the roast veg, which should make 4 portions which I can reheat for the next 3 nights, I am going to make the white cabbage gratin you suggested with the amendments I mentioned before.

I especially hate raisins in cous cous!!! :p I keep trying things with fruit in but have yet to find something I really like. The Mock Goose I made in Feb had cooking apple but next time I'm not sure I'd bother as that was the only bit that ruined it for me! :rotfl:

LC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport