PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• goodness me people i have managed to spend £55 in ald1, my farther inlaw sent down the £5 off voucher if you spent £30 runs out tomorrow so i thought i would make use of it, i only wanted to spend £30 and i didnt buy any fresh meat as freezers are full. the pantry is well and truely stocked though so we shouldnt really need to do a big shop for the next couple of weeks at least. i dont buy tinned stuff often from ald1(but got lots today) we tend to buy the fruit & veg from there and the deli section is very nice also milk is cheap. however they had coconut milk for 49p per tin, full fat only but if it means i can buy it for 49p i will happily spend an extra hour on wii fit. enjoy your week, i have updated my signature if i keep on spending at this rate we wont be able to afford a turkey for christmas i will have to catch a sparrow.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ninno820 wrote: »
    Another NSD here at Ninno's tower. I have just found out ha I have two guests staying tomorrow night - normally this would have resulted in panic buying in Mr T's and buying enough for a month instaed of one night. Instead I'm thinking about stretching my meal plan and the ingredients in the store cupboard for twink's hobnobs - sorted!

Yay!! Well done missus. It's amazing how your mindset changes after being on here for a while.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Yay!! Well done missus. It's amazing how your mindset changes after being on here for a while.

Absolutely! Its only a sleep over so how much food would I need?
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • abitofhelp wrote: »
    goodness me people i have managed to spend £55 in ald1........ they had coconut milk for 49p per tin, full fat only but if it means i can buy it for 49p i will happily spend an extra hour on wii fit. enjoy your week, i have updated my signature if i keep on spending at this rate we wont be able to afford a turkey for christmas i will have to catch a sparrow.

According to Good H***keeping you can dilute full fat coconut milk with the same quantity of stock or water and use it in the same way as the reduced fat. Any left over can be frozen. So, a double bargain for you.
  • valerie57 wrote: »
    According to Good H***keeping you can dilute full fat coconut milk with the same quantity of stock or water and use it in the same way as the reduced fat. Any left over can be frozen. So, a double bargain for you.

i shall try, thanks.
  • Hi frugalistic friends. I have been sorting out my stocks ready for the March meal plan. I had bits of dried cherries, pineapple, raisins and currants left over from Christmas baking. I don't do that sort of baking normally (its a waist line thing) so I have put it into our basic muesli. The muesli now looks scrumptious and the bonus is that I have cleared some shelf space. I also had some potatoes that needed using up. I have cut them into wedges, par boiled them and when they are cold I intend to toss them in a little oil and freeze so that I have HM wedges ready. Has anyone tried this before and if so will it work OK?
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    February went a bit wrong towards the end for me! I haven't gone over by a huge amount, but I have lost a receipt from the weekend and my brother stayed, so a few extra bits were bought.

I'm going to admit defeat and start fresh in March, so please can you put me down for £55.00 for March.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    valerie57 wrote: »
    I also had some potatoes that needed using up. I have cut them into wedges, par boiled them and when they are cold I intend to toss them in a little oil and freeze so that I have HM wedges ready. Has anyone tried this before and if so will it work OK?

I think you need to part bake them, but I could be wrong.

I did find a whole thread on potato wedges though
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=47620&highlight=wedges&page=7

hope its some help
  • valerie57 wrote: »
    Hi frugalistic friends. I have been sorting out my stocks ready for the March meal plan. I had bits of dried cherries, pineapple, raisins and currants left over from Christmas baking. I don't do that sort of baking normally (its a waist line thing) so I have put it into our basic muesli. The muesli now looks scrumptious and the bonus is that I have cleared some shelf space. I also had some potatoes that needed using up. I have cut them into wedges, par boiled them and when they are cold I intend to toss them in a little oil and freeze so that I have HM wedges ready. Has anyone tried this before and if so will it work OK?

try and make the space to freeze them individually on a baking sheet first before you bag them up ( i might be speaking to the converted all ready), as long as they are not too thick i have had success cooking them from frozen.
  • Please could you put me down for £100 for March.

This is for 2 adults in early 20s with a freezer rammed full of meat and the ability to use some bits from both sets of parents food cupboards!
    September Grocery Challenge £0/£225
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport