How do I get a € Euro bank account?

Comments

• SLZ
    SLZ Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2016 at 3:24PM
    adindas wrote: »
    SLZ. Did you apply online or using PDF.
    The problem with online, it seems they do not accept UK post code, I just tried it a few minutes ago. It said it has to be 5 number and my postcode is XX15 5XX. Any info on this will be very much appreciated.
    Only DKB accepts an international post code online, Comdirect needs to be done via PDF that you then post with any other information that they require from you.

Make sure that you get it all correct and there's no mistakes as it can lead to rejection. If you get stuck let us know and we'll help otherwise Comdirect has a fantastic telephone team.

Edit: I downloaded the PDF and it appears that they require you to do PostIndent through this method, call them and confirm you can do it via webcam. I don't have personal experience of the webcam as I did PostIndent while in Germany but it should be fine so long as you confirm beforehand.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 27 April 2016 at 1:52PM
    DKB Online application...

"DKB-Cash examination

Unfortunately, we could not meet your desire for a DKB-Cash as part of our automated decision. The necessary conditions for a DKB-Cash are not available according to your specifications.

Please note that we open accounts for customers in Germany, Austria and Switzerland."
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • SLZ
    diamonds wrote: »
    A SCHUFA file is a great thing to have if one plans on EU purchasing later even if UK based as regardless if UK leave the EU (unlikely) transferring or being assessed on a non Euro based credit verus a EU/€ & UK/£ one is preferential for Euro countries/creditors.

Keep the info up SLZ :)
    Bear in mind that the SCHUFA file is only for German credit, a number of banks offer unsecured loans up to 80.000€ (which can be spent anywhere) with a repayment plan of up to 10 years with interest rates varying from 2,75% to 4,75%pa (it is rare that it goes higher, it's those or a rejection), revolving credit cards also comes with a 8,75%pa rate rather than the usual 18+%pa we have in the UK which is beneficial and many come with zero FX fees (although a 1.5% fee is becoming more common due to interbank exchange caps being put in place).

However you do need to ensure that all German bills are paid on time and if you do get a credit card, ensure it's revolving and not a pay in full kind similar to American Express otherwise it opens you to all sorts of issues.
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Questions for DKB-Cash examination

Cancel application process

Questions for DKB-Cash examination

Who can apply for a DKB-Cash?

!- You are of age
    !- They act in their own economic interest

What are the relevant criteria for opening a DKB-Cash?

!- Data for credit applicants
    !- Previous payment history
    !- General experience
    !!!(Which was recovered from the recent lending)

additional information

"We reserve in any case expressly for the adoption of the Treaty. Our internal decision criteria we will not pass on to the outside and therefore not give detailed information on the reasons for its decision. "

Would you like to comment on the automated decision-making process? You want to manually check your request?

Please fill out the request DKB-Cash accordingly and send it to us and if you want a manual check, a copy of your identity card to the following address:

German Bank AG
    DKB-Cash
    10909 Berlin
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • SLZ
    DKB Online application...

"DKB-Cash examination

Unfortunately, we could not meet your desire for a DKB-Cash as part of our automated decision. The necessary conditions for a DKB-Cash are not available according to your specifications.

Please note that we open accounts for customers in Germany, Austria and Switzerland."
    Interesting as I was told by them that they've started accepting international clients again, it may only be via post or through telephone first if you can't do it online. I recently applied for and got the Lufthansa M&M credit card during the no foreign bank account openings so I'm sure if you call and can fulfil all the obligations set forth by them, you could get it open if you want but Comdirect is more likely to be your best bet.
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    SLZ wrote: »
    Interesting as I was told by them that they've started accepting international clients again, it may only be via post or through telephone first if you can't do it online. I recently applied for and got the Lufthansa M&M credit card during the no foreign bank account openings so I'm sure if you call and can fulfil all the obligations set forth by them, you could get it open if you want but Comdirect is more likely to be your best bet.
    Awaiting CD application in the post :)
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Only DKB accepts an international post code online, Comdirect needs to be done via PDF that you then post with any other information that they require from you.

Make sure that you get it all correct and there's no mistakes as it can lead to rejection. If you get stuck let us know and we'll help otherwise Comdirect has a fantastic telephone team.

Edit: I downloaded the PDF and it appears that they require you to do PostIndent through this method, call them and confirm you can do it via webcam. I don't have personal experience of the webcam as I did PostIndent while in Germany but it should be fine so long as you confirm beforehand.

Thanks SLZ for your time.

I traveled to Berlin, Cologne Dusseldorf frequently. Do you think I could apply to one of their Branches over there directly ??
  • SLZ
    Awaiting CD application in the post :)
    That's good, I'd wait on them. If you were looking at getting a credit card wait up to 3 months from establishment of the bank account and you pay off any credit that you use with them first. I suggest that as the Schufa updates in 3 monthly cycles.
    adindas wrote: »
    Thanks SLZ for your time.

I traveled to Berlin, Cologne Dusseldorf frequently. Do you think I could apply to one of their Branches over there directly ??
    No worries, you could potentially submit the application before you're due to go to Germany and then pop into a post office and get the PostIndent done as I did if that's easier.

Alternatively depending on how much you're willing to pay in (1.200€/£933 minimum for free banking), Commerzbank may open an account for you if you make an appointment. Comdirect is online only.
  • diamonds
    Debt-free and Proud!
    That's good, I'd wait on them. If you were looking at getting a credit card wait up to 3 months from establishment of the bank account and you pay off any credit that you use with them first. I suggest that as the Schufa updates in 3 monthly cycles.

No worries, you could potentially submit the application before you're due to go to Germany and then pop into a post office and get the PostIndent done as I did if that's easier.

Alternatively depending on how much you're willing to pay in (1.200€/£933 minimum for free banking), Commerzbank may open an account for you if you make an appointment. Comdirect is online only.

No need for a DE credit card for 6 months minimum, looking long term to build a EU credit file to buy flat abroad, may well be cheaper down the line to take a Euro mortgage over a UK based one with a EU property :)
  • Does anyone have a decent translation of the .comdirect application form. They only do it in German: and someone must have got it translated.. the google translation is horrid. If not I will get one done and make it available.. but hate duplicating work!! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure