PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Did a biggish shop at Asd* yesterday (their selection was rubbish! No adzuki beans :mad: No own brand oregano :mad: No loose parsnips :mad:) so I also had to do a shop at M0rrisons today.

I have about £35 to last me another 2.5 weeks, my cupboards are pretty full so I think I should manage just topping up milk/veggies/fruit.

Made veggies fajitas from scratch today! (not the tortillas :o) Need to get into good habits and not buy ready meals even when busy :A

Have a good week all :)
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Did a weekly shop yesterday, which came to £27 and some pence. Will add to signature when I find actual total. Was fairly pleased with this, as it included a whole watermelon, and £4 worth of mince, which I used half of in a cottage pie today, feeding friends who came round to fix my plug socket in my son's room. I call that fair payment! Trouble is, we'll be eating it for the next few days too, as I made rather more than I needed! Still, it used up a tin of toms, a cottage pie mix, and some almost-at-their-end spuds. (Please don't suggest I freeze it, as there's no room!)

NSD today, didn't need to find lunch, as we were at a party, so we were all fed there! :) I'll have cottage pie for lunch tom as well, so only two lunchboxes to make now...

Don't know what I'm making me and oh for dinner Tues or Weds yet, will be freezer surprise or storecupboard surprise. Then thurs will be tuna pasta, with enough left over for the children to have it for lunch as well, as that's what they've asked for, and that then means I'll be able to use a whole tin of tuna rather than having some left over and not quite sure what to do with it!

Feeling fairly organised for this week. However, friend had to go into the cupboard under the stairs to turn off the electric today. I was really quite embarrassed, so I'm going to use that as my motivation to stop stockpiling...

Hope everyone has had a good day - even though the weather is changing, there are lots of positives. (Some days we have to look a little harder, but there are always positives!)

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • debtmess
    debtmess Posts: 711 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Jumping in here went offline again for quite a few months, as of yet have spent nothing grocery wise this month so hoping to get away with spending £120 for October. We have enough in freezer for a good 2 weeks of meals, along with plenty of rice and pasta etc. Milk is something I no longer have to buy so much of as get given 2 to 4 pints a week :). Really have to go shopping in the next few days as the fridge is almost bare
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • Spent £10.04 today, aldi and co op. Will certainly have to get some more shopping tomorrow. I only had £13 in my purse, no cards :o.
    Hope everyone else is doing ok. Will update signature.
    FS x
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have just updated my green book (cashbook) that I am using to keep track of my food spends this month and I can report that the current total spent is £315.28. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

£183.41 of this was a home delivery shop that I had yesterday. :mad: I am cross with myself that I spent so much :mad: It was my plan that I would shop with them every week but after yesterday's efforts, I don't think I shall be repeating otherwise my bank will be very unhappy with me. I have had a busy weekend but will aim to stay out of the shops this week and MEAL PLAN!
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

Had my second NSD today. On Saturday I spent £6.49 in Sainsbos and £22.00 in Asda. Mostly store cupboard stuff. Before I went Asda I had a quick look on mysupermarket to see if there were any bargains I would actually use. They had some good bits, Alpen lights 2 for £2, Large jars of Nutella for £1.00 and massive bisto gravy granules were a £1 as well. Need to get milk. bread and butter tomorrow so a trip to Iceland is on the cards, Shouldn't then need to much before we go away on Sunday.

Still managing to stick to my meal plan as well. Having to change tuesday as I thought we had more sausages so ive changed it to pizza instead.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2011 at 10:52PM
    sistercas wrote: »
    my TD died about 18 months ago and we couldnt afford to replace it , since then ive managed really well , i dry outside whenever i can if not i use an airer or radiators if they are on , i made hanging space in the airing cupoard to put things needed more urgently. its a bit tiresome having washing all over ( and i have 2 teenage girls who would have 2 towels each a day . :eek:) i laid down a rule that they could only have 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel a week and they were responsible for drying it each day . so far its working well and has cut down on the towel wash considerably , just need to train them not put clothes in the wash they have only had on for 5 mins :o
    must have saved quite a bit on the leccy bill too :)
    Well what I do is I keep a face cloth on the bath which I "dry" myself with first-including giving my hair a good squeeze dry. So by the time I use my bathtowel I am almost dry. This is what my Mum taught me but unfortunately my lot just don't/won't do the same! So Ive got the only dry towel in the house!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Had a NSD today and made chicken curry for dinner from the FR chicken I bought ? Friday?(time flies)as only the breasts had been eaten. Still have 2 portions in the fridge for tomorrow. I measured the rice at 100g per portion as the packet said but honestly thats too much so it will be 80g per portion in future. Due to lack of freezer space(its still full)I cant freeze anything so I made sure the curry portions worked out too so an extra one in a tub in the fridge.
    Going to a friends tomorrow so a free lunch. I was telling her about the merits of 6p value custard tonight as she was unaware of it! I may give her a pack tomorrow I think. Going to get a 25kg bag of spuds all being well as they work out at approx 24p per kilo for Maris Piper which are nice spuds. Apart form that I just need bread,sugar and cooking oil. Just realised Ive got another £5 till spit for Coop for this week so Im going in there Fri eve at 7pm again!! Bargains!!:money: Also put in an Approved foods order so I need to slow down now!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    sistercas wrote: »
    my TD died about 18 months ago and we couldnt afford to replace it , since then ive managed really well , i dry outside whenever i can if not i use an airer or radiators if they are on , i made hanging space in the airing cupoard to put things needed more urgently. its a bit tiresome having washing all over ( and i have 2 teenage girls who would have 2 towels each a day . :eek:) i laid down a rule that they could only have 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel a week and they were responsible for drying it each day . so far its working well and has cut down on the towel wash considerably , just need to train them not put clothes in the wash they have only had on for 5 mins :o
    must have saved quite a bit on the leccy bill too :)

Thank you sistercas, that is a good idea, I might also make sure that I give them different colour towels so that there are no arguments about who's towel is who's!
    I do hang washing out when I can, but I do not have an airing cupboard, so will it will need to be the airer until heating is on and hope that it dries in time. I am going to try my hardest to not give in and get a new dryer.

Today will be a NSD, I don't not need anything.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Morning all,

Well, we didn't get off to the best start, but the positive I'm taking from this is that I KNOW this.

So here goes,

Started the month well, but then got a curved ball involving a trip up north that wasn't planned which resulted in buying quick meals for a couple of days

so far;

Marks and Sparks motorway services - unplanned but better than take away £27.31
    Co0p - main shop £65.48
    Co0p - top up, milk etc 5.74
    tesko - £12
    Freezer food delivery company £70 - need to put this by in the months they don't come rather than paying it all out of one month budget

Takes us to over half our budget by the 10th of the month, but cupboards and freezers are full, so aiming to be back on track by the 20th.

Takes u
    December 2014 GC 71.59/300
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    morning all nsd today not threw choice mind my banks very sad this week :( sherperds pie for tea (pennygrabber i love sherperds/cottage pie i'd be more than happy to eat ir for days on end) somones coming to fix my dryer between 8 and 10 how inconvient for someone with kids, so hubbys brought them to school ones he's been i'm gonna make a nice hash with some fried taties and onions beans and egg then it's a fun day of sorting threw ds3's clothes to get rid of everything 2 small and some ironing. It's really pouring down i'm not looking fofard to the school run later :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family