Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 10:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 10:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 10:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-02-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Page 70
  • Candy Belle

Just a few spends to report

£7.30 - W****s 3xDusters, 2xRubber Gloves, 9 Pouches Felix, 4 x tinned cat food.

Hmmmm can't believe how much already spent of Aprils budget!!!

Have a good day everyone x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
    • barneydee
    • By barneydee 29th Mar 11, 7:39 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    barneydee
    back again
    Hi I have tried to do the grocery challenge in the past and have not always completed the month I have got a lot of things to pay out for this month and to be trueful I don't know how I am going to do it,so i have realy got to cut back on the shopping which will be hard as I work for Mr S and temptation is all arounldI'm going to leave my Debit card at home and only use cash. I added up all my till recipts from March and they came to £724.60so my fridge freezer and cupboads are full I am putting down for April £250.00. I know this can be done with a little bit of planning so on my next day off on saturday I will go through my stock pile and do a menu plan this will also help me stick to my SW diet plan which is not going to well at the moment
    Barneydee
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 29th Mar 11, 8:50 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    I'm updating with a £1.05 spend on milk this morning - I was due to do my last weekly shop of March yesterday but my fridge was warm yesterday morning so I had to decant everything to my neighbour's. The freezer was fine, and there was very little in the fridge thankfully, so I just knocked it off by the wall and am hoping by defrosting it it will be ok. I really can't afford a new one at the minute.

On the plus side, I can't do the weekly shop yet, am thinking I'll knock it back on once it's been off for 24 hours, then fill it 24 hours after that - is that ok?
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • rachbc
    declaring on target at 209.43 for march.

Blew all the other budgets though - petrol is killing us and I had to get the kids a few new clothes - you reckon if I feed them less they'll stop growing - cutting 2 budgets in one??

I need to re stock the cupboards a bit so aiming for £250 for april
    • Purpleclutterbuck
    • By Purpleclutterbuck 29th Mar 11, 9:56 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Purpleclutterbuck
    Back again - I can't budget without you lot!
    Please can you re-include me again because I can only keep on track with a grocery challenge target mindset!

So here goes - please put me in for April £260
    and let the challenge begin
    (sleeves rolled up, purse tight shut and store cupboard open for menu planning!)
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 29th Mar 11, 9:57 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,580 Thanks
    quintwins
    i've spent even more of aprils budget, we got takeaway last night, plus a big bag of spuds this morning, means i need to add another £19.50 to my spends, taties will last a few weeks tho and i'm completely out so had no choice, really i only need about £30 for top-ups and last few bits of my meal plan so can sqeeze in a wee takeaway will be doings some dtd shops again this month if i can aswell

tbh everyone keeps saying for expensive desil is, but i havne't been putting anymore than normal in my car (which is £30 a week so not a small amount but it's been the same for 6 months) and it's been lasting just aslong
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • jumblejack
    Declaring at 194.72/£200 March

A great first challenge and my freezer is chocca full of prime meat too!!!!

Please can I be included for April at £200
    ?

Cheers x
    Last edited by jumblejack; 29-03-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
    • greent
    • By greent 29th Mar 11, 10:34 AM
    • 8,237 Posts
    • 83,725 Thanks
    greent
    Morning all

Haven't been keeping up with the thread, but have been keeping tracks of spends. Almost at month end and I've spent £388.46. Should hopefully manage to stay within this month. I came in late to the T DTD promotion, but have been using it for the past few days Will finalise spends at month end.

Will keep budget at £400 for April. That includes all those BHols, 2 weeks off school and some resulting day trips... Hopefully I can do it. We are low-ish on meat though. It's also DS1's birthday...

Hopefully f&v spends will improve later in the year. Have planted spinach, salad leaves, timatoes, chillis, peppers, runner beans, french beans, courgettes, squash, cucumber, carrots. Still have potatoes & onions to plant, and more tomatoes & salad leaves . Mint, basil, sage & coriander growing. Will plant more basil, chives and parsley. Have plug plant of aubergine and have ordered some plants from school (pumpkins) @ 50p each.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £4675/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £619.96/£500
  • Winged one
    I am declaring for March - overall failure from the target, but not too bad on the annual allowance so far (and the veg beds should start to ease the monthly spend soon).

Can you please put me down for €400 for April, Mrs MaCawber? Thank you.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 29th Mar 11, 10:41 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that the Grocery Challenge for April is now up and running so I'll unstick this thread in the next couple of days.

Spring has sprung here and I'm feeling optimistic that it will be a good month! I hope, despite the recent price rises that we can all make the best of what we have to spend on our grocery budgets.

April 2011 Grocery Challenge

Thanks as always to MRSMCAWBER and rosieben for all their hard work and good luck to everyone taking part. I hope it's a good month for us all.

Pink
  • rosieben
    Thanks Pink

cutiepie, I've added your Tortellini recipe to the list on the April thread
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Sparklyfairy
    • By Sparklyfairy 29th Mar 11, 11:15 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Sparklyfairy
    Ok, so I managed to keep within budget again this month! I know everyone is aware of the contsant price increases but I always used to have more room left at the end of the month for savings & this now is sadly not the case...it just keeps me determined to keep to this challenge which has become a godsend!

My budget for April will be £188, please! Good luck everyone!!!
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 29th Mar 11, 12:18 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    I'm updating with a £1.05 spend on milk this morning - I was due to do my last weekly shop of March yesterday but my fridge was warm yesterday morning so I had to decant everything to my neighbour's. The freezer was fine, and there was very little in the fridge thankfully, so I just knocked it off by the wall and am hoping by defrosting it it will be ok. I really can't afford a new one at the minute.

On the plus side, I can't do the weekly shop yet, am thinking I'll knock it back on once it's been off for 24 hours, then fill it 24 hours after that - is that ok?
    Originally posted by prophecy_grrl
    If it doesn't work then have a look on your local freecycle/freegle site. Or check in the local paper for a cheap one.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 29th Mar 11, 1:14 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    mrs M i am declaring at £389.47 for march
    thankyou
    managed to come well under budget this month and dont even know how i did it ( mind you the cupboards and freezer arnt as full as they were)
    I am lowering my budget to £400 for april and see how it goes ( 2 weeks easter hols to contend with )
    2 NSD's in a row
    (((Hugs))) Hippeechiq x

Spiggle hope you are doing ok x
  • MumOf2Beasties
    nearly there..
    happy tuesday everyone

quick update of spends, popped down m'sons and whent a little over budget by spending £13.52, think i have plenty in to last untill the 31st so fingers very tightly crossed that i make it!!!

dd has chicken pox and will be off nursery for atleast this week and next, saves me £26 on nursery fees (live in a flying start area so get 12 hours free and i pay for two lunch sessions per week) so that's an extra driving lesson for me

can't get over how expensive childrens paracetemol is, but nur*fen was on offer for £2 and got own brand c*lpol for £1.77 and it will last ages tbh.

will update sig with spends and will give total for march on thursday night, just incase i end up spending more
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of £250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 29th Mar 11, 4:46 PM
    • 5,144 Posts
    • 50,040 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Declaring at €166.80 for March. Please put me down for €185.00 for April Mrs MC...going to make an effort although DS2 will be home for a week at Easter and will be staying here as his house will be rented...will also have second dog from whenever DD3 leaves so wish me luck!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • cat_smith
    OK I'm declaring at £169.36/£200 for March. Yeah. I will be shopping on Thursday as its the only day I'll have a car, but it will all be April food so I'll count it in April's budget.

Can I have £200 again for April please. DH is really enjoying the lower bills We'll have to see how it goes though as we are in France self catering over Easter and its likely to be a bit more expensive. But looking on the bright side, I still have a freezer full of DR meat and batch cooked meals.

Thanks all for their help and support.

Supper tonight is leftover ham/sad mushrooms and some frozen veg turned into a pasta bake with Mozzarella. Only problem is there is going to be more than enough for 4 (there are only 2 of us) and I have NO room in the freezer!
    Last edited by cat_smith; 29-03-2011 at 5:35 PM.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 29th Mar 11, 5:44 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    OK I'm declaring at £169.36/£200 for March. Yeah. I will be shopping on Thursday as its the only day I'll have a car, but it will all be April food so I'll count it in April's budget.

Can I have £200 again for April please. DH is really enjoying the lower bills We'll have to see how it goes though as we are in France self catering over Easter and its likely to be a bit more expensive. But looking on the bright side, I still have a freezer full of DR meat and batch cooked meals.

Thanks all for their help and support.

Supper tonight is leftover ham/sad mushrooms and some frozen veg turned into a pasta bake with Mozzarella. Only problem is there is going to be more than enough for 4 (there are only 2 of us) and I have NO room in the freezer!
    Originally posted by cat_smith
    Do you have micro's you can use at work? If so then it can be eaten for lunch tomorrow
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 29th Mar 11, 5:57 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Grocery Challenge and NSD Challenge failed in one fell swoop...

One T*sco trip with Mr L later, we have meat for EVERY night this week (), and a box of corona. The beer doesn't annoy me as much as the meat, especially as it's their 3 for £10 meat so pork from Holland, which I can't say I'm happy about having. Mr L says he would like to eat better meat but it's all we can afford for the moment, and I try to point out for the 80000th time that if he didn't consider a meal without meat in it "not a meal" then maybe we COULD afford free range, British meat.

Sorry for the rant, going over to the NSD thread to finish my rant there...

Oh, and this episode takes us up to £216.99/£200.
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • cat_smith
    tigerfeet2006 Yes I have a microwave at work. My commute is a killer - from the kitchen to the garage DH needs something he can eat on his feet though - so tends to be sandwiches.

He's on call tomorrow night so I'll be sending him with something else from the freezer. Hopefully can squeeze leftovers in.

ETA: Trick to not ending up with 4 portions for 2 people. You don't 'have' to fill the lasagne pan. Only measure out pasta for 2. Lots of sauce but very tasty. Although it does help if you remember to add the sauce before putting it in the oven already topped with mozzarella. Turned into a bit of a gloop, but went down well
    Last edited by cat_smith; 29-03-2011 at 8:15 PM.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,060Posts Today

6,355Users online

Martin's Twitter