PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• biscotte
    biscotte Posts: 246 Forumite
    Did a big shop with lots of meat that I have frozen. Managed to get a few bargains but I don't shop at times when they have many reductions.
    So another 260 france which means that I am over half way through my money and it's only the 6th of the month - oh dear!
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Another €10 gone this morning, OH fancied roast beef and figrolls...he gets away with murder since he has been ill!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Hi,
    I've just done the online Mr S shop for delivery when I get back from working away next week. Delivery is due on Saturday 15th and the estimated cost is £78.13:eek: (was more but had a £10 late delivery voucher)
    The good news is that contains tons of meat for OH (enough to last at least until the end of the month), veggie stuff for me, plenty of dried goods and tins, sauces, veg, fruit, dairy stuff but no toiletries or cleaning stuff as I managed to get plenty to last the month last weekend.

I'm hoping that I'll only need to do fresh top up shops on the following 2 weekends to get me to the end of the month.

I'm going to print off the list and take it home to try to do a meal plan with what I've bought (backwards I know but we needed a bit of everything really) to try to last 2 weeks to the end of the month - should be plenty looking at what I've ordered.

I'll update the sig when the delivery actually comes but I think I'll be around £110 from £180 for the month but I do want to start buying a few bits for Xmas when I get back.

PS I saw on one of the other boards that Mr M are selling big tins of Roses, Celebrations etc from today for 4 days for £4 a tin - a good saving if you can afford to start getting Xmas bits now.:T
  • katie2407
    katie2407 Posts: 352 Forumite
    bought some milk today so away to update sig
    :mad: 5 account to clear- £14580.47/£1074.90- 7.3% paid off
    debt free nov 2012 before that I hope
    sealed jar no 420
  • I love our local butchers :D

I get all of our meat there now - (no more lining Mr T's pockets!!) but went in today to get some mince for tea tonight and noticed them complaining about not being able to sell their black pudding sausages... I got 12 and my mince for just over £5 :T We're very picky about our sausages so this is a major bargain!!

Did a massive meat shop the other day too, so freezer is full - need to update sig.
    Saving hard for deposit on our first family home so far: ISA = £6454.23p + Saver = £1200 Trying to put at least £250 a month into the savings account :A

Nov Grocery Challenge (first timer!) £80/£320 :naughty:
  • Apologies for not signing up at the beginning of the month £200 please MRS M.
    Forgot to add LOCCYLOU, mentioned on Weezl's thread that Tesco's are selling selection boxes for £1, absolute bargain..i have just finished my Christmas shop now.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Goddd I was just given a bunch of receipts from my OH for shopping he has done over the last week, plus we had the tescos order last night and I am already panic-ing. If we keep going at this rate we will blow our budget in about the next 10 days.

No idea what to do except try and talk to the OH but I keep doing that and he keeps trying but...

I could weep at how much money we have spent.

Hope everyone else is doing better than we are!!!

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • tirlittan wrote: »
    I'm getting paid on the 15th. Would be easier to budget for food on the same time scale. Is anyone else doing it like this?I did October normally as I only got my first pay on 15/9. But now I'd like to change. How do I do this,when should I start and which monthly challenge to join?Thanks for help.

Hi hon

We get paid on the 26th so we count 26th to 25th but with you, I would just do as the others have suggested and break it down into weekly or fortnightly totals and work from there maybe?

Good luck, whatever you do, you will find this thread really helpful and motivating!

Diva.x

P.S. Hope I will be forgiven for posting twice in a row...
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Goddd I was just given a bunch of receipts from my OH for shopping he has done over the last week, plus we had the tescos order last night and I am already panic-ing. If we keep going at this rate we will blow our budget in about the next 10 days.

No idea what to do except try and talk to the OH but I keep doing that and he keeps trying but...

I could weep at how much money we have spent.

Hope everyone else is doing better than we are!!!

Diva.x

I have this exact problem wth my husband - he will but sandwiches at work, or stop off at the shop on the way home and not tell me - I think we are doing well only to find out he's been spending an extra £20 a week :mad: and here's me trying to save.

He's getting better now, after a rather severe chat, but still bought a sandwich today... I'm still working on him though!
    Saving hard for deposit on our first family home so far: ISA = £6454.23p + Saver = £1200 Trying to put at least £250 a month into the savings account :A

Nov Grocery Challenge (first timer!) £80/£320 :naughty:
  • Just popped in to update my sig - £71.86 spent so far this month. Did a huge shop yeterday in Aldi, Tesco and Co-op, got lots of bargains and now the fridge, freezer and cupboards are bursting. Will only need milk, bread and fresh fruit over the next couple of weeks (and possibly squash, which i forgot - doh!). This works out well cos our first born is due anytime now, so I've batch cooked and menu planned for weeks in advance!

Also started the christmas food shopping, included in the £71.86 I got 2 of the £1 selection boxes in Tesco, choc seashells from Aldi (£1.79), choc vienesse biscuits in Aldi (£0.89) and a Tesco Value pack of party nibble things, like little crackers (£0.99)
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family