PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Congratulations Owens! I'll add your post into the Grocery Challenge thread where the others there can see what you've achieved.

Pink
  • cheletastic
    cheletastic Posts: 293 Forumite
    Hi everyone

I've been to Mr T's today to do weekly shop. I'm really pleased cos I pinched £5 voucher out of mom n dad's newspaper last weekend & used it today. It was for spend £30 get £5 off. Kept to shopping list & added up in my head as I went round. Shopping came to £30.15!!!! So only had to spend £25.15:j
    Official DFW Nerd - Member 408 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Hi all, my name is EagerLearner and I fell off the wagon the last few months... I'm a foodieholic!

Our original budget was £120 and for a while it went well, then summer came along and we seem to be buying £140 average of food.

This month, for the two of us I would like to get back to the £120, intending to make it £110 in September. Please can I join up?

We are now making our own yoghurt, putting the slow cooker that had been in storage to much better use. I use a 600ml milk/4 tablespoons live yoghurt/2 tablespoons powdered milk recipe. This costs the £0.55p for the starter yoghurt, around £0.30 for the longlife milk and say 5p for the powdered milk = 90p. Makes enough for the original 500g batch, then I use 4 tablespoons of that and start again - this time it costs £0.35 total. Third time, £0.35 again. So 1.5kg yoghurt costs £1.50. I must be saving compared to the supermarket, plus it tastes yummy and has no packaging!

Thanks so much to the person who suggested Thai curry with yoghurt instead of coconut milk, what a great idea!

Today spent around £8 between Somerfield (for deals) and veggie market (eggs, bananas) and wheatgerm from Holland & Barret (£1.09 for Jordans, 375g). We have a menu plan for the week ahead and all we need are ingredients for our first attempt at baking tomorrow... will try to resist all other items unless nicely reduced!

I am thinking of now taking out £110 in cash for the rest of the month. I have no plan to shop online, so would just carry shopping money week by week.

Is there anyone else buying for 2 adults or that has a £120 target that wants to buddy up? I need encouragement! :D
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Eagerlearner, I'm shopping for 2 adults with an alleged budget of £100 but I'll be lucky! Need all the encouragement I can get at mo so consider yourself at least one buddy up :D
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Thanks so much to the person who suggested Thai curry with yoghurt instead of coconut milk, what a great idea!
    That was me EL:D . I got an easiyo on freecycle last month and have greatly reduced our yogurt costs as we use it alot as milkcream substitute for weight watching reasons. You can use yog a lot in cooking it seems from my research: I made mac cheese last week half with HM skimmed milk yog and sauce flour (so no butter required for sauce). The flour 'stabilises the yog so it doesn't curdle. Made for a yummy 'low fat' sauce. I've also bought 1/4m muslin (45p)and strained it too which makes it much thicker which is great as a cream sub with fresh fruit or puddings. Mixed with butterscotch angel delight is a yummy treat too.
    Sorry I can't buddy up with you - buying for too but I'm on a starting budget of £200 for our first month:o
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Just to let any mums with little ones with runny noses (mine has a constant cold at the moment) Tesco are selling Karvol Capsules 10 pack for 57p (normally £1.11).
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Hi bails and Brighton Belle - thanks for the answers, I feel better about August now :o :T

Brighton Belle - ebay is great for muslin - I bought 12 huuuuge sheets for £6 around 1 year ago! Then cut each sheet up into 4. This makes 48 sheets, 12.5p each! I use them for beauty and makeup and also yoghurt strainer. In each sheet's last legs, then I use them as cleaning rags...

I am as I type making some yoghurt and also a chinese, which was reduced and I buy ready-made about once a year - just that MrEL is out and I didn't have any chinese ingredients, plus it was £1.50 instead of £3...

I thought folks might like this, just found it on Google:
    http://incompetech.com/beta/cal-monthly/
    Has an Excel monthly calendar you can print and menu plan ahead - for me I had only been doing it every couple of weeks, but am going to see if I can't plan August - daunting though!

Bails you up for that? :j
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • nicnacnoo
    nicnacnoo Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    i managed to spend £8.14 today on food for me and the kids to last til Tuesday which i think is pretty good. Get paid then so can do a bigger shop.
    Nic
  • evening folks,

have spent the day helping a friend move house, am helping with the cleaning tomorrow (taking my stardrops!)

managed a nsd so am pleased with that, might get milk tomorrow but then again i think i might take a frozen one out, down to our last 4 frozen containers, 2x4 pints and 2x2 pints

Thank you all, i'm so pleased with my hair, it's like the girl doing it read my mind as to how i had imagined it. :D:D:D:D:D
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi guys

After doing my freezer list I have a lump of chicken breasts whichwill have to be cooked at one time ,, I was thinking curry and pasta bake with chicken ,,are there any recipes for both,, then I will refill my freezer with chicken dinners,, just found my mushrooms ,,had forgotten to put them back in,, and so will just add to soup I have here,

thanks

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport