MSE News: Co-op launches lowest-ever five-year fixed mortgage

"The deal has prompted brokers to suggest homeowners consider fixing their mortgage given the ultra-low offers available..."

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Get with the programme MSE Helen :)

Last week: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4301429
    I think....
  • michaels
    I am torn between this and my base +1.99% offset tracker. :(
    I think....
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    michaels wrote: »
    I am torn between this and my base +1.99% offset tracker. :(

It is still 4.1% when you factor in the fees. If rates remain unchanged then your tracker remains 2.49% (assuming it is lifetime). That is of course a gamble, but BoE base is currently forecast to remain unchanged for the next 3 years. If you have the money to pay the coop fees now I would save it as offset/overpayment instead personally.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    anselld wrote: »
    It is still 4.1% when you factor in the fees.
    No it's not.
    Fees work out at £200 a year, when split over the five years of the deal (which I think is a reasonable thing to do).
    If you've got a £100k mortgage the fees are the equivalent of 0.2% a year. Which makes it 2.99% when you factor in the fees.

Just depends on when and by how much you think rates will rise, doesn't it. (And, to some extent, how quickly you are repaying your mortgage.)
    No change for three years then a 1% rise which remains for two years means michaels would be better off on their existing mortgage.
    No change for three years then a 1% rise followed by another 1% rise a year later would mean michaels would be better off switching (unless they can pay off a significant chunk in the next 3-4 years to make the rate in the 5th year less relevant).
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    No it's not.

4.1% APR quoted, but that does depend on the size of the mortgage.
    I would still prefer to pay off £1000 of my mortgage than sink it into fees.
  • michaels
    I see it more as an interest rate punt, I pay £80pcm initially for a potential killing if rates do rise. Currently my offset is fully drawn down as I am making a profit on the turn. Max out the term to keep the principal as high as possible (as IO is not allowed) and if rates do rise sharply I could be effectively borrowing at 2.86% and earning what? 5+% on a couple of hundred k - good money if you can make it...
    I think....
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I operate under the ten year cycle theory.

Boom in 1987, 1997, 2007
    Bottom in 1992, 2002, 2012

My last five year fix was 2003 to 2008 at 4.99%.

The dream scenario is a five year fix at 2.5% from 2014, but I expect the best deals will be in 2013.

Don't ask me for a justification, it's just a theory.
  • JimmyTheWig
    anselld wrote: »
    4.1% APR quoted, but that does depend on the size of the mortgage.
    Oh, I see.
    Yes, the APR does take into account the fees (and so must depend on some sort of assumption for the size of the mortgage) but more relevantly the APR is for the whole term of the mortgage.
    Given that the usual term is 25 years then the follow on rate (SVR, or whatever, for 20 years) will be more relevant to the APR than the deal rate (fix for 5 years). But in reality, most people would remortgage at some point after the deal has finished and so I never look at the APR for a mortgage.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2012 at 1:42PM
    Given that the usual term is 25 years then the follow on rate (SVR, or whatever, for 20 years) will be more relevant to the APR than the deal rate (fix for 5 years). But in reality, most people would remortgage at some point after the deal has finished and so I never look at the APR for a mortgage.
    I've just run this through a spreadsheet and my results indicate that re-mortgaging after the 5-yr fixed-rate deal on a £100,000 loan (initially over 25 years) would give an effective APR of 3.03% over the 5-yr term. Loans of greater than £100,000 reduce the effect of the £999 fee and, accordingly, will reduce the effective APR over the 5-yr period.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • JimmyTheWig
    I've just run this through a spreadsheet and my results indicate that re-mortgaging after the 5-yr fixed-rate deal on a £100,000 loan (initially over 25 years) would give an effective APR of 3.03% over the 5-yr term. Loans of greater than £100,000 reduce the effect of the £999 fee and, accordingly, will reduce the effective APR over the 5-yr period.
    Close enough to the 2.99% I estimated, so I'm happy to agree with that.

[I wish this figure (2.99% / 3.03% / whatever) was quoted on mortgages. I think it's the most important one to be able to compare like with like, but it's the one bit of information that we are not given.]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure