PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For tonights dinner I opened up the boneless thighs and put a teaspoon of philly in (I used Phillidelphia. Beware if you use a shops own one if you are GI as some like MrT contain gluten). Then I pulled the edges together and put it on a slice of bacon and wrapped the bacon round the thigh. Put it in the oven for 50-60 min on 220deg C until cooked.

I served it with new potatoes with some butter mixed through, carrots and peas.

I reckon that the meal cost me around £9-ish for 5 of us and I have a portion for the freezer.

I portioned up the rest of the thighs and bacon and I have 1 bag at a 1kg and one bag at 600gm of the breasts. The bacon is divided into 3 bags at 500gm and 1 bag of 250gm.

I have also put a wanted ad in our local Freegle for a freezer. Hopefully someone will be able to help out as it will be really useful to have another freezer.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Hi everyone :wave:

I am very excitedly able to declare my spend for the month at £251.02/£350.00 :j:j

I think this is the first month that I have come in under budget - especially by such an amount and I am over the moon. Lots of thanks goes to all the wonderful people on here as although I do not post every day I read all the posts and get lots of ideas and enthusiasm from this thread.

So thank you everyone :beer:

I will go over to the February thread to set my budget for next month....
    GROCERY CHALLENGE
    January £214.42/£300.00 :D
    February £268.37/£325.00

DMP - Too high to admit in public :o
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    tigerfeet the chicken and philly sounds delish i have favourited it :D
  • tigerfeet2006
    elizabunny wrote: »
    Another NSD for me today. I have £3.30p for tomorrow and my new month starts on Wednesday. So hoping not to spend the £3.30p tomorrow and then I can add it to next month's challenge.

I made Cauliflower Rissoto for tea tonight. Sounds funny but is really yum. Followed this with HM lemon sponge. Also managed a batch of flapjacks for DHs lunchbox this week. They turned out better this time.

Just sampling a small glass of HM Sloe Gin now.......Oh the joys of the GC:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Please can we have the recipes for the risotto and lemon sponge :)
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    NickJW wrote: »
    Just popped in to say that my thoughts are with you at this difficult time Winchelsea

NSD for me today. Lunch was stuff from the freezer reheated and dinner is courtesy of my flatmate.

I think I will need to spend money tomorrow though. I have four slices of (thin) bacon, 2 eggs, pasta and cheese. I will probably need some mushrooms, maybe more bacon and cream for to bulk out a carbonara style dish if I do it 'to the recipe'.

I was probably thinking of risking adding a handful of saut!ed celery (needs using up) and peas and upping the cheese (so it melts into the pasta) to avoid needing getting the extra mushrooms and cream. It is a risk though, so I'm not sure if I should play safe. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Lunch and breakfast are sorted tomorrow so at least they are no spends :D

Go oooooon! be a devil and risk it, you know you want to :D
    BSCno.87
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Winchelsea So sorry my dear. Families are wonderful things and you are fortunate to have their support. My very best wishes to all of you for your loss.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Go oooooon! be a devil and risk it, you know you want to :D

Haha! I sound so sad don't I! :rotfl:

Your recipe with chicken, bacon and Philadelphia has seriously tempted me to go and get some chicken and philly from Mr W - but that will definately result in an overspend....

I'll just have force myself to give my concoction a go! Must.Stay.Away.From.Supermarket! :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,910 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For tonights dinner I opened up the boneless thighs and put a teaspoon of philly in (I used Phillidelphia. Beware if you use a shops own one if you are GI as some like MrT contain gluten). Then I pulled the edges together and put it on a slice of bacon and wrapped the bacon round the thigh. Put it in the oven for 50-60 min on 220deg C until cooked.

I served it with new potatoes with some butter mixed through, carrots and peas.

I reckon that the meal cost me around £9-ish for 5 of us and I have a portion for the freezer.

I portioned up the rest of the thighs and bacon and I have 1 bag at a 1kg and one bag at 600gm of the breasts. The bacon is divided into 3 bags at 500gm and 1 bag of 250gm.

I have also put a wanted ad in our local Freegle for a freezer. Hopefully someone will be able to help out as it will be really useful to have another freezer.
    £9 - seems a lot. Is that counting the stuff you had left over for the freezer?
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 231/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 72
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • tigerfeet2006
    NickJW wrote: »
    Haha! I sound so sad don't I! :rotfl:

Your recipe with chicken, bacon and Philadelphia has seriously tempted me to go and get some chicken and philly from Mr W - but that will definately result in an overspend....

I'll just have force myself to give my concoction a go! Must.Stay.Away.From.Supermarket! :D

No you don't. I quite often find those meals that I am just cobbling together at the end of the month to use up all those odds and ends that are languishing are sometimes the best meals ever. The problem is those that turn out good quite often can't be replicated again :rotfl:

I must say the chicken,bacon and philly turned out absoultly spot on and was wolfed down by my gannets. Maybe put it on the menu plan for later on in the month.
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    edited 30 January 2012 at 10:20PM
    Florenceem wrote: »
    £9 - seems a lot.

You know what I think you are right. Will just go and calculate again.

ETA: You are right, a miscalulation on my part. More like £7 for the five of us plus 4 thighs and veg (divided into 2 boxes of 2 thighs and veg.) in the freezer, so 7 meals in total.
    BSCno.87
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills