PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• SuziQ1962 wrote: »
    I have about £50 quid to last until the end of the month-better get the lentils out!

I may be joining you Suzi ........ Realised I'd somehow not got enough stuff to cover the remaining lunches for the week :eek: so popped to Mr A (had to go to the town to pay the window cleaner so not a total waste of 18 miles fuel!) and came out £24.58 worse off!:eek:

I wanted some chicken chunks to go in a salad / cous cous but they didn't have any SP ones left ... and the only ones there were £2.70 for 200g:eek: or 2 for £5.

Decided a whole chicken was better value ... so got 2 (for £7) but totally unplanned! Nevermind, I'll get about a week's worth of meals off each one so......

It really went downhill from there on:o still I guess it's a 5 week month .....
    kezlou wrote: »
    Thanks for the info on the cat food rising from the ashes.

I'll check it out. Normally i buy 24 tins for £10 from pets at home when i get the cat litter but OH went last time and they wasn't any large packs of wet food or cat litter.

Checked in Mr A when I was there & Whiskas still on the offer @ £2.50 for a box (12) of pouches @ Mr A:D

ETA:
    Does anyone take cold cous cous for lunch?

Do you need to "do anything" to it to keep it fresh or will it be OK in a sealed tub? TIA
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Managed to accumulated £40 in Sains's vouchers, just sent of for another £20 and should soon have enough points from a site to get another £10 so although I do not usually shop there I can get some nice shopping with the £70 I have, now if I can find loads of offers it will go even further :cool:
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RFTA - cold couscous is fine, I often have it with cold roast peppers and crumbled feta, it's lush.

Well, OUCH. I went and bought my cheap seeds and bits for muesli and granola and bread making and it came to 25 quid, which feels extremely painful. Only it really shouldn't feel so bad given that I came out with a box of rabbit food that will keep me going for months, whereas not all that many years ago I could easily spend the same amount on ingredients for dinner for two (yes, I know!).

Anyway, it's left me a bit more realistic about how much I'm likely to spend in a month. It'll be interesting going through the receipts and working it all out on payday. And of course, now I've bought the sodding things, I've got to use them. For a treat (God help me, treats used to be bottles of wine) I bought some pecans and some chopped dates. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers all, and well done to everybody. In other news I was pleased to note that Aldi are selling 8 bananas for 52p by the way - that's my snacks for the whole of next week!
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have another £25 to add to my total as I had my first delivery from Approved Foods. My hubby came in from his walk to be confronted by boxes of food! He's not sure why we need 15 boxes of poppadums lol but I'm sure everything will get used up and we can spread the love by sending some over to my oldest daughter.:rotfl:
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    £2.10 spent in Mr T on a microwave veggie lasagne, didn't have time to cook last night and I haven't anything in the freezer.... baby steps still. Really need to get on with the slow cooking, found lush recipe for stuffed cabbage leaves done in a slow cooker mmm
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • Bupster, not sure if I'm allowed to post a blog address on here or nor so have just PM'd you a link to the most amazing recipe for date flapjack. Enjoy!
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    :grin:
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    £3 on ingredients for ds to make lemon cheesecake in food tech (grrrr - we could make a far nicer one at home I am sure)

£5 on reduced pork in Morrisons - 2 packs f leg steaks whcih will be split for 3 meals, 1 belly joint for a sunday roast (plus neough for a LO meal) and a rack of ribs as a treat for ds sometime - they are his fav but only had one pack plus a 2kg bag of seconds apples :)
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Popped into the co-op today for some rolls (trying to tempt ds to eat something as he's still not well), got some reduced to 39p. Also got two bottles of pepsi for £2, pies for £2.40, and crisps for £3 (huge bag should last the month). So, total spend £7.79.
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • £3.83 spent in mr t's more of the half price quaker oats 16 sachets half price, a box of tissues, 6 pack of pocket tissues and a pint of milk.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Redouble
    Redouble Posts: 468 Forumite
    Another no spend day for me, am amazed!
    Thank you for the inspiration :) xx
    NSDs 7/20
    Make £10 a day £403.74/£310
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories